Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Is a universal mount safe?

Planning to put a sidecar on either a DR650 or KLR650, whatever is cheaper and comes first. But my question is that if im not able to get a subframe, would i be able to use the universal mounting thing via clamps from cyclesidecar.com or is it too dangerous?

Welcome aboard Alexander

you will get many answers on this but I think you will see they are all going to be NO, the universal clamps are NOT safe to use. 

hang around and keep us posted once you find the bike. have you given thought what car you might like to get

Thane Lewis and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Thane LewisFlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Literally just looking for a bare frame. going to strap everything to it

for a little outback type riding I take it, load up the camping gear and strike out 

USCA # 8913

I will have to respectfully but strongly disagree with AceinSav about the safety of a Universal mounting kit. A Universal mounting kit used properly is perfectly safe. The key is "properly". Both Velorex and I have used them for decades. They are nothing more than a collection of adjustable mounting struts with various connectors on the ends. There are times and places for their use. For example someone gave some advice about a subframe for the KLR. I agree with that advice. Simply clamping a U-clamp onto the frame of that particular bike is not appropriate. However using parts from the kit to attach to the sidecar and subframe might be a reasonable idea. Using the Universal mounting kits that are on the market would NOT be a good idea for the rig that AceinSav has. It is too heavy and something meant specifically for his bike is a better choice.

I make kits to fit certain mid weight bikes. For example the new Royal Enfield 650. It makes use of a J-bar, a couple of U-clamps in the frame of the bike and a couple of mounts that bolt directly to the bike and use struts from the Universal Kit which are modified. Our Triumph kits are similar. A universal mounting kits best use is for someone to pick and choose parts depending in their needs. Attaching a sidecar isn't rocket science, but it does take some thought. 

Sidecar dealers and manufacturers have strong opinions, some are diametrically opposed which makes it hard for a customer to sort through. Blanket statements are rarely helpful since there are usually three sides to every story. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
DRONE, AceinSav and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
DRONEAceinSavFlyingMonkeysDave Brakebill
Kevin Mahoney Cozy Sidecar cyclesidecar.com 623-512-0377

I must agree, I should not have made such a blanket statement, that was not my intentions. the kit you have posted looks to be of high quality, unlike some of the crap out there. I was not trying to mislead or put down anything, I was merely answering his question about a specific bike he wants to build as to if he didn't use a subframe 

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

i also forgot to mention in this thread that im NOT planning to offroad with the sidecar. this is strictly for icy roads

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

First I did not want to respond, (I need to admit that I did not read all responses) but the last note from Alexander calls for a reminder. 

A) those strap clamps are pretty week and are known for to be frequently wrongly installed. (They tend to squeeze the frame and turn easily on the frame tubes) they had been mounted on several rigs that I have seen over the years that were "twisted". 

B) Specially in winter the strap clamp like shown in the foto above loose their tension due to thermal contraction/expansion and start to rotate around the frame tubes. 

Result: specially for winter use even riding softly I do not recommend their use.

I used to be a winter rider as student (once upon the time)  and the shocks turned hard so every single bump in the road affects more then in summer and hits right into the frame.  The weakest link will give: the clamp position on the bike frame is normally this weak point.

2 Cents from somebody who works in machinery and rides the heck out of his rigs....when family and obligations let me. 

Safety first.

Sven

PS: after finally reading through the above I have to applause to "Cozy1". We did have some sour discussions about this same theme here on the forum years back and it would not be a good idea to rewarm them. *

In relation to safety aspect of clamping on a solo bike frame, as I use to say in my job : "It is not important what you do, but how you do it!"

(I used to bend straight my MZ-rig frame every 3-5 month, twisted and broke my Jawa-rig frame several times and broke other "not so weak parts" of my Ural rig frequently >> the Ural frame hold up finally this monkey (me), but transmission, crank and final drive not )

Been there, done that. 

Paid my lesson dearly and confirm a  Costarrican saying: "¡Lo barato sale caro!" = "The cheap turns out expensive!"

*Using the Universal mounting kits that are on the market would NOT be a good idea for the rig that AceinSav has. It is too heavy and something meant specifically for his bike is a better choice.

...  Sidecar dealers and manufacturers have strong opinions, some are diametrically opposed which makes it hard for a customer to sort through. Blanket statements are rarely helpful since there are usually three sides to every story. 

i know im a few months late but is it possible to have an alternative for the clamps?