Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Is a Magna a good tug?

Hello, I started hanging around this forum with the intention of “Popping “a sidecar on the side of my Goldwing and riding of into the sunset. After reading many threads on here, I realized there was much more to it. With the advice of Lonnie, I decided to put a sidecar on a Magna that I own, as a starter rig. I called Warksaw to talk with him about the difficulty of mounting a sidecar to this bike as well as prices on a new Velorex. He told me my Magna was very difficult to mount a sidecar and he would recommend selling it and buying something like a shadow. His main reason was the size on my exhaust pipes. What is your opinion, is this bike not a good candidate?

Attached files

What is wrong with sidecar on goldwing? Why do you want to do it on magna? What are you planning to use your bike with sidecar for? Why don't you install sidecars on both of them?

Yeah, they're right. It can't be done. lol

Lonnie

Attached files

Unfortunately my wife and I were hit by a truck on the Goldwing. We both escaped with minor injury but the Goldwing was not repairable. My reason for wanting a sidecar is so my son can ride with us. He is only 3 months old so I have a couple years to put something together. I also have a 2004 Yamaha Venture and my thought was to keep the Venture a solo bike and have a smaller sidecar rig to use on shorter trips with the family. If we enjoy using a sidecar, I would put together a touring bike when my son is older.
Lonnie did you fabricate any of the mounts for the magnas in the pictures. It appears both of them have Velorex’s on them, which is probably what I would use. My magna is only a 750cc and a different generation then the pics.

Your mounting points don't look all thet different from the earlier Magna pix. (700 cc)
We've mounted up V65's, V45's and V30 Magnas through the years. with Velorex, URAL and other cars.

Lonnie

You will be better off install sidecar on yamaha. It is biger and more powerful bike. Velorex will be not a best sidecar for you(too small for 2 people). Your son is only 3month old so for a long time it will be better and safer to have mom and son toogeter in sidecar so you need whider/biger sidecar.

VLAD, thanks for your input. We are planning on waiting until my son is at least 2 or 3 years old before putting him in a sidecar. This is why I say I have plenty of time. Installing a sidecar on the Venture is not out of the question, I just know it will be very expensive. We ride for ice cream every Tuesday during riding season and those trips are less than 100 miles and the weekends we could easily put on 400 miles. These are the trips I thought my son would enjoy and the little magna would be fine. I take a couple longer trips myself every year and ride to work so that is when I would use the venture. Before we decided to get a sidecar I was planning on selling the Magna. This is why I am asking the experts for opinions. I have seen the Velorex 563 for $3200 + taxes & S.H. I am sure it would cost twice that to set up the Venture. Again I appreciate your input and just weighing out my options.

Keep Magna you will have sidecar rig + single bike. Try to find used sidecar. You will save a lot. I bouht used velorex for $700, used frenship 3 with mounts for gl1500 for $1650. Yes i did pay for paint+ some parts. I did install both sidecars myself. You can find lot of info on the webb. Some parts/brackets you can buy from many experts hear.
I like what SidecarMike said: "A medium rare steak, a good cigar, and a six pack of something cold and delicious gets you a lot of help in my neighborhood." In my neighborhood you will need many six packs and several well done stakes ...

Barry - 1/30/2011 12:36 PM VLAD, thanks for your input. We are planning on waiting until my son is at least 2 or 3 years old before putting him in a sidecar. This is why I say I have plenty of time. Installing a sidecar on the Venture is not out of the question, I just know it will be very expensive. We ride for ice cream every Tuesday during riding season and those trips are less than 100 miles and the weekends we could easily put on 400 miles. These are the trips I thought my son would enjoy and the little magna would be fine. I take a couple longer trips myself every year and ride to work so that is when I would use the venture. Before we decided to get a sidecar I was planning on selling the Magna. This is why I am asking the experts for opinions. I have seen the Velorex 563 for $3200 + taxes & S.H. I am sure it would cost twice that to set up the Venture. Again I appreciate your input and just weighing out my options.

With a couple of years to do this, I'd consider selling the Magna and keeping my eyes open for a complete rig in your price range.

Here are the results of a ten minute search around Michigan. Next week there will be more and next month more yet.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2141741265.html

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/mcy/2185888539.html

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/mcy/2128577480.html

http://bn.craigslist.org/mcy/2168350451.html

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/2145394116.html

VLAD, I have not had much luck looking for a used sidecar. Most of what I find is so old and in poor shape, I would have too much money into restoration to make it worthwhile, Or the price is so high I’d be better off just buying new. I do check the internet sales sites often to see if anything new comes up.

SidecarMike, this is also an option I have considered which is why I asked the question about my Magna. If the Magna is not a good candidate then I could sell it and buy or put together another rig easily within my time span. I just seen a nice V-Star 1100/562 up for sale on this site at what appears to be a reasonable price.
Thanks again for giving me your time and advice, it is much appreciated.

Barry - 1/30/2011 6:01 PM VLAD, I have not had much luck looking for a used sidecar. Most of what I find is so old and in poor shape, I would have too much money into restoration to make it worthwhile, Or the price is so high I’d be better off just buying new. I do check the internet sales sites often to see if anything new comes up. SidecarMike, this is also an option I have considered which is why I asked the question about my Magna. If the Magna is not a good candidate then I could sell it and buy or put together another rig easily within my time span. I just seen a nice V-Star 1100/562 up for sale on this site at what appears to be a reasonable price. Thanks again for giving me your time and advice, it is much appreciated.

I may be a bit prejudiced, but I'd look for another Goldwing. :0)

A Magna is fine for a first tug, but I'm guessing you will find yourself wanting something bigger soon thereafter.

Mike

Finding used sidecar takes time, but it is good revord in the end. Sounds like you have some time to get it. And you will need wider car with good cover to protect them. You can add "AC" and heater, intrtament center... Make them comfy then you can go as far as you want.

VLAD, for all the reasons you just mentioned is why I would consider adding a sidecar to my Venture. If I went that route I would most likely only have one motorcycle as a dedicated sidecar and make it nice & comfy as you said. These are all good points for me to consider as I continue my sidecar search. Thanks again.

Sooner or later you will want to take your magna for a spin. Keep it. It is fun to ride with your family. It is fun to ride alone too.. I planning get avay for 3-4 days to SW Colorado+NE Arizona+SE Utah on GL1500 no sidecar, no family... Empty road. White line in the middle. Music in my ears. Wind in my face...

Stay with the yellow line in the middle. That white line is the fog line and the lane edge. Best stay left of that one. lol
I run those roads in the summer. If you see my "Big Red" rig give a wave, I'll be with the Kanuck riding a solo 2011 Merlot RoadGlide.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 1/31/2011 6:09 PM

Stay with the yellow line in the middle. That white line is the fog line and the lane edge. Best stay left of that one. lol
I run those roads in the summer. If you see my "Big Red" rig give a wave, I'll be with the Kanuck riding a solo 2011 Merlot RoadGlide.

Lonnie

White or Yellow i don't care. I am a "blind man"

Yes

Phelonius

Hello, there is a gentleman in Tucson that mounted a cSC friendship I on a 3rd generation magna( 94-03) and it was great. he made a simple fixture for the lower mounts. he posted a bunch of pics here. he has a fabrication shop in tucson, and can probably make you a fixture. I think his nick name is "Rags" do a little searching here, you should be able to find his pics. A magna has alot of power, he stated it pulled the hack with ease! Good Luck Rick

here it is, search "magna"

Posted 4/5/2010 8:54 PM (#50325)
Subject: 1998 Magna with Friendship 1 install