Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Introduce Yourself!

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

Tire wear in the center will go up front and rear with a sidecar. just a fact of life. 

I have the Hannigan  4 1/2 degree rake. Had 6 degree on the 2017.

Car tire on rear give a lot more mileage and better traction in wet weather.

What I do not want to end up with is that front end up in the air look.

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

What size/brand tire do you run on back?

Quote from David Bundy on April 12, 2023, 10:50 am

What size/brand tire do you run on back?

2020 RGL comes with 18 inch wheels front and rear . No 18 inch wheel will fit a car tire. So I use a 16 inch in the rear and a 195/65R16 car tire.

It comes out to the same height as a 180/55-18 and is about 6 tenths of an inch wider. Use a couple brands just depending on when I order one.

I am putting a new rear tire on April 18 th.  Getting ready for Shark Week.

I wish HD had stayed with the 17 front and 16 rear they use on RG for a good bit. They hold up to pot holes much better.

FlyingMonkeys and David Bundy have reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeysDavid Bundy

Hi all. I am Steve Glass, a retired Civil Servant living in York County, VA.

I started riding in 1968 with Yamaha V50 in the woods around my house. And in October 2021 I purchased a 2005 30th Anniversary Honda GL1800A Goldwing with a Dauntless Motor Car Co. 2-person Liberator sidecar (I purchased this rig so I could take my wife on trips along the East Coast).  

I visited these forums several times before I purchased my rig to learn about sidecar driving, start to understand the sidecar community, etc.

I'm glad I found the United Sidecar Association!

Steve

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon, smitty901 and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonsmitty901Reardan TomBen FranklinFlyingMonkeys

Welcome, looks great.

FlyingMonkeys

Welcome, glad your here. 

Welcome Steve, make plans to attend next year's USCA Rally in northeastern Mississippi, near Iuka in June.  There you will meet a couple hundred fellow sidecarists.

Jan

Craig, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CraigReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

Welcome aboard Steve, glad to have you join us. 

FlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Hi, new member (Sam Bexon) from Reno, NV. Just picked up a 2018 BMW R1200RT with a Hanigan classic sidecar. Rig had less than 2,500 miles at time of purchase. Been taking it slow until I get the hang of it. Hopefully, once I’m comfortable with cornering, I’ll introduce my dog (Zoey) to the sidecar. Long time BMW rider with close to 200,000 miles under my belt.

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Thane Lewis and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane LewisReardan TomFlyingMonkeysDavid Bundy

Welcome, Sam!  Glad to have you in the mix!

That car looks a lot like a Hannigan Bandito but whichever it is, I wish you many happy miles with you and your pup!

Remember - it's not the left turns that are the problem, it's the rights.  And a just the moment you feel comfortable, it'll do something completely unexpected and you'll learn something new.  All part of the adventure.

FlyingMonkeys and David Bundy have reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeysDavid Bundy

Welcome Sam! 

Welcome aboard Sam. Nice looking rig. 

FlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Hi, I'm a new member from Schenectady, NY.  I have an Indian Springfield with a DMC Tomahawk SE sidecar. 

Uploaded files:
CCjon, AceinSav and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonAceinSavReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

Welcome Gene

tell us a little about your rig, I always liked the Tomahawk on an Indian, just seems like the right combo 

FlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

My Springfield is a 2017 that I purchased used and had it shipped to DMC in Washington state where they built and attached the sidecar.  Even though it has a door, some people have a hard time getting in and out of it.  I can get in and out no problem.  The Tomahawk was styled after the old Indian Princess sidecar.  Here is another picture showing the sidecar better.

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

Dave Schiller in Fredericksburg VA.

Brand new to sidecars been riding bikes for about 30 years.

What things should I be thinking about or doing.

Only have had a ten minute ride so far.

Have to get the bike legal for the state,

I just bought a 2009 police bike standard with a 1998 side car and just wanted to know where to start learning what to do next besides ride? Really pulls to the right, is that a set up issue?

FlyingMonkeys

Hi Dave,

I also am pretty new to sidecars.  I suggest you at least read a book about sidecars and how to drive them.  If you can find a sidecar training course take it but I think they are rare.  The book I got is THE SIDECAR GUIDE 3WB by Rod Young.  He used to have a sidecar company and made many outfits.  The book has training exersises in it, tells you how to set up a sidecar and much more.  Enjoy your sidecar unit and be safe.     

Welcome Dave,

Post up a request for alignment help in Virginia in the Tech section. We have quite a few USCA members in Virginia.

It might be a simple tweaking, or more serious, either way an experienced sidecarist can help you figure it out.  There is a science and an art to finding the proper set up for every rig / driver. A well set up rig is a joy to ride.

Jan

Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Reardan TomFlyingMonkeys

I agree with CCjon. A well set up rig is a joy to ride. When I got into sidecars in 2002, it was after many years on two wheels but my wife had decided to give up riding with me. I thought she might enjoy the view and seating in a sidecar. I didn't expect to be particularly thrilled but if it meant she'd still go with me, it seemed a good thing to try. I bought a used Ural from Hal Thompson. My wife's mind was set, she no longer wanted to accept the risk. But the boxer I had at the time, Archie, loved the sidecar and I found a whole new thrill. That Ural was so much fun to ride and the fact Archie could go was a joy. After a few years of riding the Ural while the Harley mostly sat at home, I knew there was no going back. I sold the Ural, my Kwik Kamp trailer (which I didn't tow with the Ural) and an old tractor in order to purchase the Liberty sidecar from Pete at Liberty. I also had him put the 5 degree triple tree on so the steering would be right. I rode that outfit until health issues became too large an issue and through three sidecar copilots. Petey is still with me and has enjoyed riding as much as Archie did. I sure hope you have many years of enjoyment ahead and submit a few articles to the Sidecarist about the best. Here's my favorite issue. My photo on the cover and more throughout. Just showing what's possible when you submit your stories.

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Thane Lewis and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane LewisFlyingMonkeys
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.
Quote from dave schiller on September 30, 2023, 6:30 pm

.... Really pulls to the right, is that a set up issue?

Most likely some setup issues to tune.  Toe in of the sidecar wheel and lean out of the bike in relation to the sidecar come to mind.

From borrowing others' rigs, I determined that pulling to the right was not something that has to be lived with.

I then went on a mission to fix my newly delivered rig, and found the manufacturing process of the new leading link suspension to have been completely botched.  Ultimately commissioned Chuck Loftin to build a new, straight leading link and almost all pulling to the right went away.  The rest was removed by tweaking toe-in a bit and setting it at 1/2 deg of lean out, away from the car.

Up to 65mph, I have neutral steering.  Over 65, or with a strong head wind, there is a mild pull to the right.  I think this is relatively normal with a large car (DMC Expedition.)  Others may think differently, though, and I am not an expert.

I may add a little more toe-in, and see if I can get to neutral steering at 75mph, but really have not been in a hurry to chase if farther.

Good luck with you adventures.  There are a lot of people here with many years of setup experience that can provide valuable guidance.

CCjon and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeys
Cheers, Dane AKA "Ben Franklin" on Adventure Riders Forums Why not?
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next