Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Interim President to Fill Joyce's Unexpired Term

Page 1 of 2Next

QUOTE: Tax Man - 2/20/2014 9:29 AM at http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12037&posts=7#M76314

There have been requests to disclose to the general membership of USCA what steps have been taken to keep the organization functioning as seamlessly as possible following our president, Joyce Canfield's, death on Feb. 11.

The board has initiated the process of voting for a person to fill Joyce's unexpired term in accordance with the by-laws of USCA. The by-laws call for the nomination of a person or persons to fill vacancies by board appointment until the term of that office expires. At that time there will be an election by the general membership....

The board welcomes recommendations, suggestions and/or comments regarding the nomination of an interim President to fill Joyce's unexpired term.

Please post your recommendations, suggestions and/or comments here -- or contact any member of the board by Private Message, Email or Phone by Friday, February 28, 2014

Contact info for the board members can be found here: http://www.sidecar.com/officers.html

Thanks for your input as we journey through this unfortunate time.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

H. I took it on myself to contact Al Olme about taking the position. He has been a long time supporter o USCA. He is willing to fill the time remaining of Joyce's term. I know it is up to the board,but I would like Al to be considered. Thanks for listening. J.R. Lewis Texas rep.

Lee Thank you for putting this out in front of the membership so that we know that action is being taken. Would you consider allowing your name to be considered as the interim. The question is rhetorical in that it doesn't need to be answered in the open forum but within the board. I mention it to see if there are others in the open forum that might agree with this recommendation. Harold in Kansas

I suggest Al Olme-thanks,Jerry in Missouri

If Al is out,I would recomend Lee as next. Thanks J.R.

Hey Hal & J.R.: Thanks for the notion; rhetorical or not, I'm not part of the mix and will not accept a nomination. I'm having a hard enough time tending to my regional duties here and our area upcoming sidecar gatherings - on top of a lay-off and unexpected job change.

Please continue to assist the board with the suggestions and recommendations.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thank you, Lee for the response. I was impressed with your handling of the 2013 rally and that you were one of the few that took ahold of this situation. I certainly understand the difference between commitment and over commitment. Harold in Kansas

Remember, the 2013 rally was a team effort with Keith along with BIG assistance from our wives.

Now that we have a temporary chairman I would like to see the board vote on a person to serve out Joyce’s term as president. And I would like that person be our VP Gerald Hensley.

Ain't that the purpose of vice presidents?
Mr. Johnson had to continue some tough tasks for quite a while about the time I was born.
As the only USCA member in Costa Rica I may say our country votes for Gerald Hensley.
Sven

As Richard points out, the board of directors have selected a temporary chairman to call the vote for the interim President to fill Joyce's unexpired term.   Based on recommendations from the board and members, the two nominees are:

Vice President Gerald Hensley  and  Minnesota Rep/Former Board Member Al Olme.

Pursuant to Section I.F.5. of our By-Laws, the matter has been placed before the board for a vote and should be resolved by Tuesday, March 11th, 2014, if not sooner.   The Board welcomes continuing input on this matter through Thursday, March 6th, 2014.

Thanks for your suggestions as we navigate thru these unfortunate circumstances.

Sven asked, "Ain't that the purpose of vice presidents? "

About the "purpose" of Vice Presidents...

The USCA uses Roberts Rules of Order except in cases where we have set our own rules. We have a procedure set out in the Constitution and By Laws that covers succession in the event of an officer being unable or unwilling to complete their term. It calls for the Board to nominate and vote on a replacement to complete the vacant term. This is the first time we've ever lost a President. In the past we've used the replacement procedure in the By Laws many times but since the President conducted the process it hasn't ever been so important or visible to the membership. In fact our current VP Gerald Hensley was not elected but rather he appointed after a resignation by this same process.

The purpose [actually the job description] of the VP in the USCA is to act as manufacturer liaison. No other duties are described in the By Laws. There is an excellent chance that this procedure will be changed after the new President is installed, but that is up to the Board. I suggest that anyone who is interested can do three things...

1. Read and become familiar with the Constitution and By Laws. You can find them here https://tinyurl.com/lcj99j3. Please note that the forum Reference and Educational Links and Material may not have been displayed for all of you. It appears to have been marked as private sometime in the past but I don't know why. If it doesn't show up for you now, clear your browsing history and refresh the forums page.
2. Ask to become an "observer" on the Board's forum, Racedis2. You can't post but you can see what's going on. To be allowed to observe, get in touch with a member of the Board, like your Regional Director.
3. RUN FOR OFFICE! We suffer from too few folks doing all the work. We need new opinions and ideas. Sadly, part of the current issue is that Joyce was so dedicated to the club that she did the bulk of the work herself and didn't leave a map for us to follow. Many items, passwords and procedures were known to her alone. Please understand, she did an incredible job but we need to share the tasks and the responsibility to make the club continue to work into the future.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now :), thanks for listening.

Thank you Al. Not only for the clarification, but for everything you do for the club.

I am sure Gerald will do a very good job. I suggested Al because of his long time association with USCA and his knowlrdge of all the goings on. Al even asked if Avanell would take the job. We travel 4-5 months out of the year. Also we are not well versed in computer working. Thanks Al for the nsuggestion,but she had to decline. I was just now able to get on line to see how things are going. Lee,thanks for steppi ing up and taking over. J.R. Texas rep

Hey, J.R., don't count me out yet! Only three votes have been cast and while I'm trailing by one, I'm not out of the race 🙂

By a 6-1 vote, Gerald Hensley has been elected as President to complete Joyce's unexpired term through June 2015. Congratulations to Gerald as he assumes the duties as our President.

Thanks to our members for your input during this transition.  Please use this thread for continuing comments, suggestions and recommendations for our new President and USCA Stuff.

Congratulations Gerald. You have some big shoes to fill. Hope to see you at Nationals in June . Thanks to Lee for stepping in to solve this problem. J.R. Texas rep

Congratulations and Thank Yous to the Board.
g

I want to thank Lee for stepping in and taking care of thins. Plaque for Hal, replacement of president He seems to be the only BOD that takes the time to get things done. Thanks again. J.R. Tex rep

Please accept my apologies for being a little slow with this announcement that was due out late Friday evening, but we have been delayed due to an unexpected situation with our domain name that should now be remedied

On March 23, 2014 Gerald Hensley stated that for reasons including, but not limited to, unforeseen family obligations, he needed to resign his position as interim President. As this was only 12 days after his acceptance of the office and before any official acts had taken place, the Board of Directors accepted his request as an "annulment" - that is, as if his term had never taken place.

Reviewing recent suggestions from our members, the Board held an expedient vote from Wednesday--Friday March 26-28 to elect an interim President. By a vote of 5 in-favor and 2 absentees, the Board has elected Al Olme as to fulfill Joyce's unexpired term thru June 2015.

Page 1 of 2Next