Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

installing rake kit, will it change adjustments

I am planning on installing a 4 deg. rake kit this weekend. I was curious as to whether it would effect my set up
to the point of needing to readjust everything

USCA # 8913

Ace, when I installed the EZ Steer to change the rake 4 degrees on my GL1500SE, it didn't require readjusting anything. Not to say you will have the same results, but.....

Let us know how it come out.

It will alter your front end height a certain amount unless you have added spacers to compensate. A minor loss of ground clearance but probably not a
noticeable difference in sidecar alignment.

Lonnie

so the install itself was pretty straight forward. got it all in and was putting everything in place just gently snug so I could get everything to center properly before putting the torque to the cinch bolts in the tree when I realized I couldn't turn it to the right but about 1/4 turn and it would bind up. WTH..... after looking it over good I found the fork tubes were hitting the fairing subframe and locking up
it looks like the fairing subframe was bent or maybe just warped. either way there was no way to just adjust it,,, SO I took a long heavy bar and bent it out just a little and then all was gold
so the install is complete. I found my brakes were getting down some so I decided to go ahead and get new ones and replace them now rather than tear it down again later
hopefully I will get them in and be able to ride again by the weekend.
really looking forward to seeing how it handles with the new trees installed

USCA # 8913

not revising my trail but was wondering if an inch longer pair of shock would effect setup i will be doing shortly. on my bonneville i have quality Bitubo WME shocks stock length 330mm + sprung for midweight, if i need to stiffen i will prolly get scrambler length shocks, just thinking ahead as my chair is in transit NOW!!!

It will slightly raise the rear of the bike from what it is now with you aboard.
No appreciable change will be noticed unless the new shocks are much stiffer.

Lonnie

... be able to ride again by the weekend. really looking forward to seeing how it handles with the new trees installed

AJ, so what is your opinion with the change??

Yes. You need to check alignment. Otherwise you will eat you rear tire in 500 miles (please do not ask me how I know this).