Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

I'm loosing my mind! Time for an oil change...

I have a 92 Harley flht/c/u/tle . I have done all of the basic maintenance, to most of the bike and car myself! (No experience at all) I have asked a few questions here and had some great responses. THANK YOU!

The work I have done:
tires
brakes
berrings
motor mount stabilizers
alignment-bike-bike and car
plugs and wires
air cleaner
some wiring (and still searching for a short or lose ground)

Now all of this work I have done is just basic B.S. of owning a motorcycle using all of the manuals from the dealership.

I'm having problems with getting a good response to the question I'm about to ask!
I know some of you may not of thought about it, so I would prefer a more experienced hack and Harley rider to answer this question.

Everybody has there opinion and I will listen, follow up and test all great responses.

here is the question.

(As I mentioned I have a 92 flht/c/u with a tle, my gvwr on the bike and hack is around 1680lbs).

What would be the best oil to use for the engine? should I go Synthetic?

I know with the extra weight it is more stress on the engine and an uncomfortable heat on my ass after 1 hour of riding.

I'm using Harley genuine sae 20W-50 and makes my motor sound like it wants to blow up after 800 miles
of riding. (1 season)
There has to be something more durable.
Yes I have an oil cooler!!!

Please help!
I honestly do not want to rebuild my engine in middle of the summer...

It does not bother me to spend $$$ when it come to proper lube for my ride.

Thanks and have a great day 🙂

I use a 50/50 blend in my 99 BMW changed every six months. I've ridden in quite hot weather and unless I'm in heavy, slow traffic it doesn't get overly hot. Almost 50,000 miles on the clock, almost all of them with an EZS Summit (235 lbs). Used to baby it after I bought it used but have discovered that it runs better and seems to stay even cooler when I wind it up more.

Oil is a very personal thing. Personally, I think all the new synthetics and blends are all quite good. Thankfully, the days of 30, 40, and 50 weight oils are gone.

I'm still looking into it! I appreciate your response! thank you!

Generally full synthetic will last longer and cool the engine more than dino or syn-blend. I use Mobil 1 15W50 in all my bikes with or without sidecars, V-twins or Fours. Switching to synthetic certainly isn't going to hurt anything and you may find it runs a bit cooler. I know it can get pretty hot in NC summertime.

I use Amsoil 20/50 in my Harleys. Amsoil In all vehicles.

Yep, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple seem to be the consistent recommendations for extra protection & cooler running oil temps.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I started using Amsoil several years ago in all of my bikes. At first because I seemed to be constantly changing oil and i feel I can go a bit longer between changes. All bikes seem to run a bit cooler and oil looks better when changed. Good luck on your investigation and decision.
Bill D

"

Moore Bier - 3/25/2014 5:03 PM
What would be the best oil to use for the engine? should I go Synthetic?
I'm using Harley genuine sae 20W-50 and makes my motor sound like it wants to blow up after 800 miles
of riding. (1 season)

"
"

jkmolt - 3/25/2014 6:04 PM
I use a 50/50 blend in my 99 BMW changed every six months. I've ridden in quite hot weather and unless I'm in heavy, slow traffic it doesn't get overly hot. Almost 50,000 miles on the clock, almost all of them with an EZS Summit (235 lbs). Used to baby it after I bought it used but have discovered that it runs better and seems to stay even cooler when I wind it up more.
Oil is a very personal thing. Personally, I think all the new synthetics and blends are all quite good. Thankfully, the days of 30, 40, and 50 weight oils are gone.

"

IMHO, synthetic is the way to go. I've not rebuilt any motorcycle engines but have done many marine diesel, gas and outboard engines in my past while serving in the U.S. Coast Guard and in my personal life.

As JK put it, oil is a personal thing but any synthetic is a good way to go as long as you look at the rating of the oil. API rates oils and SM is the current highest for gas (spark) engines. See here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quality-motor-oil1.htm

One question: What do you mean by "my motor sound like it wants to blow up after 800 miles"? A lot of rattling? Valve tap? Piston knock? Sluggish performance?
TomM

Thanks for all of the responses...
I understand how oil is a personal thing. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my car and have been quite happy.
Being my first Harley I have notice that the oil just did not seem to be doing the best job.
I have only put around 800 miles on the bike since the last oil change it has been 6 months. (Manual says to change every 5k miles)

TomM
I would say it sounded like a piston begging for cool oil. Thanks for the valuable information

I have heard a lot of good things about Amsoil and Mobil 1, I refuse to use royal purple because my work truck was in the shop more than it was at work.

I will personally keep investigating until I feel comfortable.

1 more question...
Are these auto oils or motorcycle oils ya'll shooting at me?
some of the forums I have read say auto oils are the same as motorcycle oils, Synthetic/dino, and other forums say there is a difference. That is why I'm asking...

personal opinions do matter "AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME"

I want to feed my ride the best....

I have a 93 FLHS with pretty much same EVO motor as you..I tried the synthetic oil from Harley (Syn 3) a couple years ago and ended up rebuilding my motor.....Do Not use the Synthetic oils on the Harley EVO motor...Any good old school HARLEY mechanic will tell you that...When Harley came out with the twin cam motor,,then the synthetic was recommended by the factory.....The older Harley air cooled engines are WAY DIFFERENT than most anything else,,(beemers,,Hondas,water cooled automotive stuff,,etc.)..The Coast Guard guy might know automotive stuff but Harley air cooled motors are NOT THE SAME !!!....All that being said..I live in Fl. where we have mostly warm weather and I use Harley oil straight weight SAE 50..And yes the Harleys rattle a bit when warmed up but that's how they are......If you want quiet,,go with a water cooled Honda!!

All beware the cult of the Guilt Ridden Insecure Motorcyclist trying to sucker us all in. Their sacrements are $25.00 a litre motor oil, 101 octane gasoline and tires inflated with nitrogen to the max pressure embossed in the sidewall.Cool

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I've used Amsoil 20/50 with Evo's and twin cam Harleys for decades. No problems in hot desert (110 plus) and motors run cool.
The last thing I used straight 50W on Was my '50 Pan.

Lonnie Cook (LoCo).

As far as changing regular oil to synthetic in any motor has to do with the miles on the motor. If you are going to run synthetic do so with in the first 15K many more then that stay with regular oil. I know many running synthetic oil in Evo s some with well over 100K on them with out a problem. When you say 1,600 pounds that must be bike, hack, you and all your gear.

A Evo should run 20W 50 except in extreme low or high temperatures. I would never recommend running a straight weight oil in a Evo yes on the older HDs but not an Evo or up. A lot has to do with with condition of the motor and the brand oil you use. If there is a motor problem there is not any oil going to fix this type of problem!

In my twin cam I have tried many different oils some mentioned above and I am happiest with Mobile 1 V twin motorcycle oil. I am not in the desert but I assure you here in middle Ga it gets just as hot as may desert do. Now my motor only has 98,000 on it so it is still fairly new. LOL

This is my opinion based on riding and working on Harley s none stop for over 42 years as many of those years as now my only income is working on them including but not limited to build motors and doing all the machine work.
Good luck
Jeff

I do want to say sometimes HD oil is good oil and sometimes it is crap all depends on which oil company is supplying it. When Harley needs oil they take bids and who ever is the lowest gets the job. So if you have a company that has high standards it is good oil and then you get some fly by night company gets the bid additives can flux await a lot. If it was not so hard to find the best oil I have ever found is a small company called Spectro and they make the best oil there is. But finding it on the road or even finding it is not always easy.

Being somewhat of a dinosaur myself I still use dino oil.

However it really bothered me that I wasn't getting all of the old oil out of my 1990FLHTCU, I've been around a lot of engines and this is the first one I have ever seen without a drain plug. So I looked around and found the scavenger....http://shop.roguechopper.com/.....from rogue chopper. I used it and got an additional 2 qts of old black oil out of my engine. I believe this to be much more important to engine health and longevity. Best 60 dollar accessory on the market. JMHO

Visit their sight and check out the video. I know I feel a lot better about oil changes now.

Thanks for all of the great responses...
I'm going to try out the 20w50 Lucas Dino oil...

I have done lots of reading, and understand the whole personal opinion on the type of oil to use.

I'm getting ready to strip my bike next winter, for a custom rebuild and paint job. I just want to get one more riding season.

ride safe and enjoy the spring.