Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

I think this is cool

Since Lonnie was making a little "jab" at us Goldwingers, I thought I'd mention this little something that this winger thinks is pretty cool. If you are a winger and received the little booklet about Honda Homecoming in Marysville, Ohio, take a look at the picture on the front cover. I'm right smack, dab in the middle of all of those Valks with my little sidecar rig. I have a white helmet with a black visor and of course, my CB mic, and if you look carefully, you can pick out my sidecar (black top, dark tinted windshield). The picture was taken last summer as all of those Valks were parading to the Honda plant. We just happened to converge on the plant at the same time. We had watched them all parade out of a Wal-Mart parking lot earlier and then we got caught in the whole mess when we went to the plant. So, I just joined the parade! Anyway, I think it's pretty cool that my little rig is in that sea of Valks and on the front cover of that little publication!:o

Connie

Good on ya, Connie.
You know I was just funnin' about Wingers.
You did say CB and not CD didn't ya?

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

Yep, I knew it was just good natured ribbing. We do it to our Harley friends all the time. Cycling wouldn't be nearly as much fun if we couldn't razz each other. While we were in Lake George for Americade, I had to have a new battery. While my husband and about 5 of our "winger" friends (technical advisors) replaced my battery, one of our Harley friends stood by grinning from ear to ear because a Goldwing need mechanical assistance. I, of course, feared that my bike would never run again after being worked on by all of those mechanics(?)!!! Anyway, it's all great fun!

Connie

Lonnie,

By the Way, I forgot to mention - - Yep, I said CB. I hate riding with people who don't have them. They save a lot of confusion and we just have a great time yakking to each other while we're riding. I don't have a CD player, but I listen to my tape player most of the time. Alan (Jackson) and I cruise down the road all the time. I take him with me where ever I go!

Connie

Connie, did you say Wal-Mart.....I thought "Wingers" only knew where the Dairy Queen parking lot was. LOL,

Ok I'm a Harley Man and me and my "Winger" friends do the same thing all the time. Your right, riding wouldn't be much fun if we couldn't bust each others chops about what we choose to ride.

Alan Jackson, eh?
He may just be chippying on you. My fiftyish sister in law has a lifesize poster of him in her bedroom these days. (he replaced "Fabio" on her wall).
As I recall.
Who did Alan replace for you, Connie? Or is that a trade secret?

Lonnie

Hi Guys!

Fiftyish, huh? Well, I didn't think that I'd made a secret of the fact that I'm "fiftyish" - - I've got the scars to prove it! If Alan replaced anyone it would be Tom Sellec(sp), but I still like him, too! My husband once said that if they were standing on opposite street corners, I'd tear myself apart trying to go in both directions. I've been pretty close to Alan, but I've never seen Tom in person. I don't have any lifesize posters of Alan, but I do have an Alan Jackson doll. Everyone who knows me well, knows that I "loooove" Alan, but it's mostly his music that I like. Of course, he ain't hard to look at either. But, even though he's ornery, losing his hair and an oldy, goldy like me, my husband is still my favorite man, but he can't sing! By the way, I never did care for Fabio. John Wayne was more my kinda guy!

Oh, and I did say "Wal-Mart", but the Dairy Queen is one of my favorite stops. Although, I try to be good these days. We always say we ride from restaurant to restaurant and the Harley guys ride from bar to bar. I hate bars, so I guess I had no choice but to ride a wing!

Connie

I will agree with you in that I hate bars too, haven't been in one in over 15 years. Before that, use to be in one everyday, even had my own oil spot out front(rode an old Shovelhead)Then one day I woke up and just couldn't do it any more, but I still ride a Harley....... with a lot of miles on it by the way.

Hi Skin,

The first bike I ever rode on was a Harley. My uncle used to take me riding when I was a "wee lass" (probably 5 or 6 yrs old when I took my first ride). When I met my husband he had a Harley. We rode them for years. We got the first "Wing" in '91 and I got my first one in '96. I really used to love all of that noise, but now it upsets my stomach. But, I love the sound that a stock Harley makes - - that's nice, real mellow. I know not all Harley riders drink, but Harleys and the smell (which turns my stomach) of beer seem to go hand in hand. If we had lots of money, I know my husband would have a Harley to go with his two "Wings".
Keep on putting those miles on that Harley, that's what we buy bikes for!!

Connie

Hey Connie,
That is way cool! I love your bike. With a sidecar on it as well, you could take the world with you!

Keel Mountain Hog Pen, the group I ride with, joke that we go from restraunt to restraunt- as long as they're at least 100 miles apart! Don't do bars- never could abide a drunk even when I drank myself, and never did like the noise. Standing in line to pay at a restraunt one time, had a kid poke at my brother-in-law's tattoos and coo 'Look Momma! He's got Cartoons!' Kid's mom freaked, we laughed. All the rest of the guys had to crouch down so the kid could look at theirs too. So much for E-villle bikers. I've got a Road King Classis. But the thing I LOVE about the 'wings is how quiet they are. Stealth bikes. We make the ones with straight pipe ride in the back so the rest of us can hear ourselves think.

Becca

Hey Becca!

Thanks! It's always nice to hear that someone likes my "baby!"

My husband always says that I "do" take the world with me in the sidecar!!! I say that I like choices and since I have the room to take lots of choices, I do (he,he)! When we went to the west coast in 2002, we were on the road for about 23 days. I had plenty of clothes, never had to do laundry like my friends.
Amen, to making the loud guys ride in the back. I get tired of all of that noise after about half an hour if you're on an all day ride. Yeah, those wings can sneak up on ya. It's really kinda cool, sorta like gliding.
I know most bikers are real pussycats, they mostly just like to look tough. That's OK, I just don't like the ones who are really obnoxious and rude. Years ago, while riding our Harley, we broke a chain and had to knock on this lady's door to ask for help. My husband is a pretty big pussycat and apparently she wasn't thrilled to have him knock on her door. She later told me that if we were ever in a similar situation that I should knock on the door because he was scary. But, you know the truth is that lots of folks are scared of bikers, but most seem less intimidated by Goldwings because they aren't loud.

Connie

That's a long running argument I've been having with my group. I'm sick of hearing 'Loud Pipes Save Lives'. Its not true and it annoys the neighbor (Mom)

Hi Red,

The guys who say that know it isn't true; it's just a way to try to justify all of that noise. Heck, I'd run over a bike myself (with my car) if I had to ride behind one of those really loud ones for very long. Naw, I wouldn't "reeeally" run over one, but I'd be thinking about it. It's not the people behind you (usually) that you have to worry about when you're riding a bike and they're the only ones who really get the sound effects. The ones who'll get ya, get ya before the sound catches up!!!

😮 Connie

It's true, loud pipes do save lives! If I had been on a Harley instead of my Wing, that bird munching his lunch in the middle of the road yesterday would have heard me coming and flown away in time, rather than becoming a hood ornament on my Astro 2+2.

I really don't really care if anybody believes loud pipes saves lives. I believe it. They've worked for me many times. I also have a set of duel trumpet horns on my Harley to the tune of 128db's, and they work real well also. With so many people using cell phones and driving, I'll take all forms of WEAPONS to stay alive when I ride. Besides, IF we were to ride in a group together, I'm not so proud, I'll ride in the back.