Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

How to start? R1100RS?

Hi All,

Havent posted here before so please bear with me.

I am the 5th owner of a 1994 BMW R1100RS, its actually an RSL but is wearing the RS side panels. I got backed into at a coffee shop and the RSL sidepanels took it rough.

With that said, Id like to mount a sidecar to this baby. I had put her up for a trade or trade and $ money deal for a bit out in my part of Washington state but to date have had no bites.

So...how in heck do you mount a sidecar to a sport touring bike? Where do I start? Anyone done this before for this type of BMW? What car works best? I I live in eastern WA and there seems to be a dearth of sidecar dealers within an hours ride. I have to go to Seattle, Portland, or Boise for NEW sidecar stuff, and the closest BMW shop is in Spokane, which is a long way of saying Ive gotten very proficient at doing my own maintenance.

Advice and help will be greatly appreciated...:)

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I live over near Hermiston - good to find someone close by interested in sidecars too. Sidecars are a very niche activity/product. The Pacific Northwest is actually a "hotbed" of sidecar activity - as much as anyplace is. But that still means long drives to find sidecar related businesses/services.

The Oil Head's "frame less" design makes it hard to mount sidecars. The only solution I've seen is the Dauntless subframe. You'll probably have to get one of those or fabricate something similar. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecar_mounts/mounts-for-bmw/

They don't list anything for the R1100RS but they do for the R1100RT

Hi rogers. Welcome to the forum:

We have a member here with a R1100RS rig, but I can't recall his "handle" at the moment.

Here a couple of threads with pics to help explain a "sub-frame:"

RE: Mount Sidecar to Motorcycle that Uses Engine as Stressed Member--No Downtubes:
http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8769&posts=8&highlight=r11&highlightmode=1#M54343

BMW Oilhead Sub frame:
http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9162&posts=4&highlight=r11&highlightmode=1#M59192

P.S. I have a R850R that just keeps asking me for a Hannigan Sprint. 🙂

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Punkozuna and SwampFox, THANKS For the tips and the links to the sites. 🙂 I will them a shot and see what I can dig up. Just ran across an add on Craigslist for Portland, Oregon for a very wild looking Equilean... I will keep you all posted on the progress and thanks again! 🙂

I saw that ad. Price is certainly right but be sure to read up on equaleans - leaning sidecars are a different critter than regular ones so check out the pros and cons before committing to it.

punkozuna - 9/11/2011 8:21 PM
... leaning sidecars are a different critter than regular ones so check out the pros and cons before committing to it.

I ridden a K100RT with a Flex-It. Amazing rig, but it was not for me.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I ride a '99 R1100RT w/EZS Sidecar. Bought it from a guy in Seattle. I've done nothing to it other than routine maintenance and riding it. According to him, he bought the sidecar, sub frame, leading link, and auto wheels and tires as a package. He then had it painted and installed. The sub frame is very stout and well made especially for the R1100.

As one who simply rides (drives) it and has it serviced at regular intervals, I know very little about the set up of the rig. I'm fairly certain that the R1100 definitely needs the sub frame for what ever car you put on it.

Karl

Karl: Thanks for the tip on the Subframe, you are 100% correct that its needed on the oilheads. Im going to have to cough up a chunk of change to get one built. Having to overcome my frugal (CHEAP) nature and have one made if I cant find one online. Liking the stoutness concept.

Swampfox and Punkozuna: That equilean is one wild looking side car...kind of scary for a traditionalist like me, but on the other an R1100RSL looks pretty sporty this thing might go well with it... Definitely going to need that subframe though!

ALL RIDE SAFE and have fun!

Tom

Rustle is our member with a 1994 BMW R1100RS w/ Motorvation Formula II sidecar.  See the below pics and many more here:  http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=455&Page=1&sortdir=desc

If I recall correctly, the Motorvation Formula II used a unique unto itself 3-point mounting system.

We are finishing up today an R1100RS and as such have developed bike specific mounts ($800) steering modificatins ($350) and an automotive rear wheel convertion ($1295), If you order one of our sidecars the mounts come with the kits. The Kenna is our least expensive at only $3395 and M72D is our most popular at $4495, We have the sidecars we build in house on sale for 10% off for spring delivery and as you are located failry close to us (Enumclaw WA) you would be able to pick it up and save on shipping and crating. Of course we can also install the sidecar for you. We will be delivering the RS we are building today in the next day or two so if you wanted to see one, you would need to come over ASAP.
BTW, I have turned down equaleans for free as they are not worth the effort to make them work right. We even left one sitting out side of the shop to see how long it would take before it was stolen (about 2 years)
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay, Thanks for the information on the R1100RS! I really appreciate you taking the time to send a note. Several folks have recommended DMC and I have perused your website. I am currently looking at a rig over here; 1980 Yamaha XS1100 with what looks like (but probably isnt) an M72 sidecar attached. Owner say straight up she needs some work, but as winter is coming on, I will have some time to hang out in the garage. I about spit my coffee out when I read about the Equilean...good thing I didnt spend the 300.00!

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for the tip of the subframe, it is 100% right, that he needed oilheads. Im going to have to pull out a chunk of change to get one built.

Maruti Swift | New Bikes in India