USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Another raked yokes post - DIY

PreviousPage 2 of 2

The adjustable was used by some Harley was one.  They gave up on it.

The track bike method I am talking about is more like using offset bearing cups, than the HD adjustable trees.  Common in Moto GP and Superbike classes, and OEM on some Ducati models.  Rather than an offset bearing, the  yoke stem hole is over bored and an eccentric bushing is used.  

[​IMG]

Robert,

Take a look at this link...

https://www.lumleyengineering.co.uk/page_41.php?pgenme=bespoke-leading-link-forks

Scroll down to the unpainted picture.  It give a good idea about how this is done.  Note that it is possible to add some adjustment to this by making multiple mounting holes or adding clamps.  

Here's a cheaper solution

https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/reducing-trail-leading-legs/

Note that the reason for a leading link suspension is not just to reduce trail.  Telescoping suspensions are built to accept load from only one direction.  They are suboptimal when it comes to side loads.  That's not an issue for motorcycles but a real issue for sidecars.  Leading legs don't help here at all

Al Olme Minneapolis, Minnesota

I like the retro bike look of a stock front end with the Zeppelin chair, but have been thinking about both those alternatives.  If I go that route, it would be leading link, however I am going to have to learn about shock geometry and rates - the rest of the design seems easy enough.  Wasp has a nice adjustable design, but with Thai import costs I have to build it myself or cost doubles.  No issues with bigger brakes with a leading link, however my spoked wheels are not ideal for side load.  Interesting that Lumley LL examples show wire wheels?

New yokes simplifies machine work for  my 4 pot calliper clearance problem, and is a lot easier to design and build (for me at least) than a leading leg.  If one did not have a mill or get mates rates, then I can see how a leading leg would be cost advantagous, with a similar result as yokes.

Current thought is to ride it a bit more, and think a lot more.  

Robert,

I've been running spoked wheels on a BMW/2 rig for many years.  Two important things to note...

1. This is NOT a high performance sidecar rig, I have a BMW K-bike based rig for long distance and higher speeds.  I use the /2 for putting around town and rarely go faster than 60mph.
  2. The wheels are laced with heavier than stock spokes.
  3. OK, three things... Most spoked wheel failures appear to occur with wheels using alloy rims.  If you are going with spokes, use steel rims.

A

Al Olme Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quote from Al Olme on October 18, 2021, 10:45 am

Robert,

I've been running spoked wheels on a BMW/2 rig for many years.  Two important things to note...

1. This is NOT a high performance sidecar rig, I have a BMW K-bike based rig for long distance and higher speeds.  I use the /2 for putting around town and rarely go faster than 60mph.
  2. The wheels are laced with heavier than stock spokes.
  3. OK, three things... Most spoked wheel failures appear to occur with wheels using alloy rims.  If you are going with spokes, use steel rims.

A

I too am not a performance application, and even if so, do not have the experience.

Naturally I have 3 nice, lightweight, Excel aluminium rims.....................I will buy some heavy gauge, tapered,  SS spokes from Buchannans in the US .  Presumably bike only?

Thanks for all the help

Robert, I have no appreciable machining skills/knowledge, but we have installed modified trees on three motorcycles, including a 5° on a 2002 XL883R Sportster, with excellent results.  As I recall, the resulting trail on the Sportster was was ±1½-2 inches.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Maybe I am especially weak, but I found the steering effort on the Royal Enfield 350 in the sidecar class to be a lot more than comfortable. Same with my '79 Sportster. I have 5 deg offset trees ordered, hoping for the kind of results as SwampFox.

Just saw this post so apologize for being late.  I’m not comprehending how it’s possible to simply re-bore stock trees at a new angle. Maybe I’m not understanding what Robert is saying?  IDK.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

I have a 2011 Roadglide Ultra with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar that was mounted by the Motorvation Engineering Company before the business went under.  It steered heavier than I wanted, so I bought a set of raked triple trees from this company:

http://www.cutnshootcustoms.com/rake-kits-1.html

Great communication, free shipping, they cover sales tax!

It made so much difference on my bike that my neighbor who has a 2014 Ultra Classic Limited with a Motorvation Roadster sidecar asked me to install a set on his bike after driving my rig.  Both installs were not difficult if you are a mechanically minded person.

USCA # 8968
PreviousPage 2 of 2