USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How much to repaint a sidecar?

Hi all

Thanks for your patience with all my noobie questions. I took my Velorex apart to clean up, look at everything and make sure nothing was missing or rusted, etc. I want to paint the tub and fender the same as my 1989 Honda Pacific Coast (Pearl Pacific White - Honda color code NH-251P). I have an estimate of $500 +/- from one guy. I will keep looking, but does this sound about right? In my mind, I thought it would be $200-300. Mind you, I'm in NJ, so nothing is "cheap". We do have a MAACO here, but I hear bad things about those places. Also, is there anything specific I should know about painting to keep my eye on?

Thanks for your help!

PS By the way, its black now. I don't know if it's more to go from a dark color to a lighter one

i'd say that sounds pretty cheap, the paint and materials alone cost me close to $300 for my rig

Gus,
as said the paint is very expensive so there is little left over for workmanship. Remember you get what you pay for.

The Velorex lower half is very flimsy material, I'd only paint the upper half, before the lower half will fill with cracks all over.
On my velorex everything changed for better since the day I had a new lower bowl made out of fibre glass, but left it black anyway.
Regrads
Sven

OK. Great advice guys. Thanks!

Here's how I matched a 562E with a '96 Kaw KZ1000P. No chips show up with the black lower and it looks good without the extra work.

Lonnie

Attached files

Lonnie I had no plans to paint the bottom, only the top and the fender. Thanks for the pics. This reaffirms that its the right decision. Looks great!

Attached is a pic of what it will look like from the http://www.VelorexUsa.com website

Attached files

That price isn't all that bad, I wanted to paint my rig to match the bike, but thanks to Harley they only made my color combo for two months.......lol.....great. Golden glow/black glow, I had the hardest time trying to find paint that matched, no help from MOCO and to this day no one can match the black glow with has red a green metal flake in the paint. So with three different painter asking anthing from 750 - 2100 I am going the cheap skate route and paint the entire rig in Duraliner........bring on the rocks and such......but to each his own. Yes I would love the high dollar paint job but with the bed liner paint touch up will be a breeze and no waxing.....I would rather ride than polish.

7 years ago I paid $650 to paint my Frendship III. Just for paint. I did take it apart and reassemble myself. Stay avay from maaco. You will not like finished product. As an idea how about paint some white on sidecar and some black on the bike? Or some decals(spelling? )

Hannigan factory paint to match my LT was $850. Two tone and it is a perfect match for color and an excellent job.

Loren

You are approaching the right time of year to do this. I had a number of estimates of $1200-$1600 to paint my Motorvation. One shop, well known for its custom paintwork rather than crash repair, said that if I was willing to wait until late January though early March, they would do it for $500. That was for a tutone black/metallic grey with red pinstriping. He said he would rather lose money to keep his painters busy, than layoff and take the chance of one of them going somewhere else before spring.