Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

how much should an equalean be worth?

so I posted to craigslist about finding an old sidecar and got a response from a fellow who has an equalean sitting in storage. what would this be worth in semi decent condition? $1K? $2K? less?

I might take it just on principle if it's worth reselling if I don't like it...

thanks again!
'beard

Being discontinued in 1984 the Equalean's are now a cult sidecar that usually needs much upgrading in the mounting department to make a safe combo.
There was a shop in Huntington Beach, CA that made a nice custom mounting system. Saw one of their Yamaha/Equalean setups at Griffith Park Rally.
I sold my last one for $400.00 to a buyer in Fla. It cost $200. just to crate it since they are a long car. I don't know what the COD freight charges were.
It was in good condition with a couple of right side scrapes in the paint and fiberglass (most have these). An old GL mount set went with it along with the windshield, top piece and vent.

Here's a shot of it and a shot of one seen at the Nelson, BC Sidecar Rendezvous that was mounted as a rigid.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

I bought one for $750.00 sat around for a few years and I think I sold it for $250.00. Mine had the the fold down hard top. Had another one it was half as long, Think I payed $100.00 for it. Some people really love them, I just want to drive one some time. Bob Madigan did you ever get my old one mounted?

I did get it mounted. Had to fabricate the entire mounting system and weld the ball track back together. I found original mounting instructions and drawings from a guy in Texas who had his from new.

Was still working out the bugs in my front mount when the tug quit running. Carb problems. Both are in the back of the shop in Indy while I spend most of my time in Wilmington, Oh.

What riding I did with it though was a gas. It is heavy in tight turns and unwieldy as heck when you're riding slow. Part of that was because I modded the mounts and I'm sure part of it is the nature of the beast.

As far as what's it worth... if, and that's a big IF, you are getting the mounts for your specific bike then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. If it doesn't have mounts for your SPECIFIC bike (Equalean's mounting is bike specific, there is NO universal mounting) then you're going to have to study the system and engineer and fabricate a leaning system to fit your bike. That will take skill, time, and money. If you need to pay someone else to do it, then you're gonna have to want one real bad. It'll cost a bunch.

Then there's the seating issue. It has a sling seat. Semi-comfortable in the upright, canopy open or removed mode. You have to put it in lay down setting to close the canopy. The passenger rides laying down. My wife described it as coffin like. Tried it once and refused to get in it again like that. Kinda defeats the canopy purpose. Canopy open or the windshield version the seat stays up.

Still, I like the damned thing. Want to get the tug running again. Motivated now. Might just bring 'em both over to Ohio to work on.

By the way, go to my photo album on here ( http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=113 )for the instructions to see what is involved to help guage the worth of the project. Also, look in Alleycats album for pics of a real nice one with up close shots of the original mounting.

interesting, I thought that perhaps with a ural frame being 1200 a whole car with such extra effort as to be leaning would be quite a bit more!

the fellow did however say it was made for a suzi GS850, but that could be simply because I told him that's what I had. power of suggestion and all that. if I'm ever down in Pueblo I'll definitely have to look it over.

I have now seen the armec, and think that something along those lines would be perfect. but still just the frame I think. hmmm.

thank you all for the indulgence, with my strange bent on the unordinary, I appreciate the time and thought in helping me put this together.

Snowbeard,
That "URAL Frame for 1200." is a whole sidecar less body shell.
Did you see todays post Re: Rigid or flexible mounting? Food for thought.

Got 10K USD? Go Armec.

no offense intended Lonnie, a good portion of my appreciation is directed to you. I was just suprised, I had no idea what sidecars run...

gues I might have to build something...

I did get a fellow who had a really old (30's-40's) european lefty sidecar on his harley that he was willing to sell. no seat, no names, but he said a buddy brought it back from europe when he was in the army on a transport, so it's actually smuggled in. might be interesting...