Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

how many still ride 2 Wheels?

PreviousPage 2 of 2

The majority of the miles I've put on my bikes have been long distance, cross country, vacation miles and the one situation I've always disliked the most is getting stuck in traffic that's creeping along slower than I can comfortably creep along on my two wheeler. Even on country roads....got stuck behind a farmer on one of those giant tractors on a two lane road a couple years ago, couldn't get around him for about five miles. Last summer I took my first cross country trip to the EAST coast as a sidecarist and can't see myself doing it again on only two wheels. The traffic in St Louis and KC didn't bother me nearly as much as it has so many times before, just so much more comfortable and fun with that third wheel. However, touring the west......the southwest, the great basin on up into Montana and Idaho....I think I would be cheating myself if I didn't do that on two wheels so I think I'll keep my other bike for those trips. I don't think I'd ever just have one bike and have to remove and re-attach the car, though.

One sidecar rig and 3 two-wheelers here. I have to admit tho, the two-wheelers are getting a bit dusty.

I still ride both. I use my rig when traveling with the boss monkey 100% of the time. She got use to it and much prefers the comfort and protection. I pull out the K1200GT when I get the urge to 2 wheel it, plus it has more weather protection for me. Last two years I have put 15,000 miles on the rig and 10,000 on 2 wheels. 🙂

I am focusing on my sidecar rig and plan to ride it through the winter. Two wheel riding in these mountains during cold weather gets a bit treacherous with snow, ice, black ice and many knucklehead drivers paying scant attention. with three wheels I have a slightly better chance at arriving alive. I use my rig for shopping and going to appointments plus scheduled stuff. Today started out at 6 deg. fahrenheit and vaulted up to a glorious 33. I rode this morning when it was still in the teens and low 20's. A good suit, extreme weather gloves and an insulated balaclava made riding fairly comfortable. I'm thinking about snow mobile helmets that have heated face shields to reduce fogging as a future addition.

I ride a '99 Valkyrie w/ Hannigan super sport car
2003 Honda VTX 1800R

"Knucklehead drivers paying scant attention" sic.

Make that "Bonehead"
Knucklehead drivers have too much invested in their classic Harley rigs to be inattentive.

Funny. OK, bonehead works but I use the term knucklehead in the same context. I certainly have nothing against those who have classic Harleys.

PreviousPage 2 of 2