Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

how about a URAL??

Hello,

I'm in the research phase of getting into the world of rigs, and look forward to seeing and learning a lot at Bean Blossom. I've come across the Ural in my research, and think the style and price are fantastic. If I don't find a gem of a used rig in the same price range by next spring, I would seriously consider buying a Ural. My two big concerns, however, are reliability (I'm not a wrench monkey, by any means - I probably couldn't do much more than change the tire or the oil) and performance. I don't need a rocket, but I certainly don't want to feel like I'm riding a scooter and I'd like to comfortably cruise on the highway (60-70 mph) for an hour at a time without feeling like the engine's going to explode on me.

After that lengthy explanation, can anybody offer me some helpful guidance and/or direct me to some reviews of the rig.

Hopefully, I'll find someone at Bean Blossom willing to take me for a ride in one 🙂

TIA,
Chetan

I doubt that even the new 750 Urals are 60-70 "cruisers" for an hour on the superslab. Oh, it MIGHT be done, but it certainly isn't what the rigs do best.
45 - 55 on the sideroads/backroads is comfortable and sustainable.
The Urals do require attention, but it is simple and well-within the non-pro's ability.
For your planned freeway use and speeds, you may look into a modern Japanese bike and attaching a sidecar. They are about as maintenence-free as you can get.

The URAL sidecar itself is a fine unit. We attach many to Japanese cruisers for a reliable, powerful, tractable sidecar outfit that is superslab worthy and maintenance free except for normal fluid changes and such.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

I regret that "Ypan" (pronounced Ooh-rahl) and "freeway cruiser" are mutually exclusive terms. The rig just isn't designed for North American "super slabs". What it is designed for are the gazillion miles of "normal" 55 mph-and-under state routes, county roads, etc., etc. On a Ural, you have time to figure out the number of cows in the field by counting the legs and dividing by four!

The new IMWA 750's are a quantum leap over their predecessors, but they are still fun rigs, not serious cross-country tourers. (Unless, that is, you are willing to take the roads your Dad did on vacation in the 50's.)

At Bean Blossom keep your eyes open for an old fart retired cop showing off his new 2004 Ural Retro rig. Glad to give you a ride!

Sarge

P.S. Click on "User Profile" to see my mug. Will help you spot me at Bean Blossom.

I'm perfectly content with leisurely driving the backroads - it's just that those kind of roads aren't in plentiful supply when you're living in Chicago, and unfortunately, some highway driving is inevitable.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you Sarge, especially since the Retro is the one that I would choose if I decide that a URAL is for me.

Until Bean Blossom,
Chetan