Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Honda Pacific Coast / Velorex 563 match?

Hi all
I have a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast. It is 800cc, shaft drive, weighs 600# wet and has a low COG (see pics below). I have a chance to buy a late model Velorex 563 at a decent price. Does this seem like a good match to you all, assuming all the mounting essentials are there on both ends? I know I will have to puncture the "Tupperware" body, but that's OK. I'd like to keep the bike with the rig for a long time. It's a GREAT bike with only 22K miles.
Thanks
PS Maybe it'll be doing this? >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLianHAAuc

Attached files

It'll work just fine with the Pacific Coast.

Lonnie

OK, good enough. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. In the meantime, I've got some catching up to do on sidecar riding. It's been a looooong time....

I have a question. Assuming everything is rigged up right and the rig is safe, what is the safe operating speed limit with it empty and full? I was hoping that I could do 65 on the highway if I need to get on one once in a while.
Thanks for your help!

I use a HD Sportster 883 for a tug with my Velorex 562, so your 800cc's should be alright. I cruise the highways at 60-65 mph with no problems.

senorcosta - 12/1/2010 9:11 PM I have a question. Assuming everything is rigged up right and the rig is safe, what is the safe operating speed limit with it empty and full? I was hoping that I could do 65 on the highway if I need to get on one once in a while. Thanks for your help!

I can't speak to the Pacific Coast, though I'd love to own one, but I had an XS850 with a Dnepr sidecar. Empty, 65 to 70 was pretty much top end.
Since then, I try to stay above 1000cc if I want to ride the Interstate.

OK, thanks for the responses. 65MPH will do me just fine. BTW SideCar Mike, it IS a great bike. I wanted to buy one years ago but mortgages, kids, etc got in the way. Finally found a 1998 last year with only 19,000 original miles.

senorcosta - 12/1/2010 10:11 PM OK, thanks for the responses. 65MPH will do me just fine. BTW SideCar Mike, it IS a great bike. I wanted to buy one years ago but mortgages, kids, etc got in the way. Finally found a 1998 last year with only 19,000 original miles.

Of all the bikes I've owned or ridden in my life, my three favorites are the 1500cc Goldwing, the Pacific Coast, and the Africa Twin. If I had the dough, I'd have one of each.

Man, how I would LOVE an Africa Twin. I was in Greece last summer visiting family and saw several. Why Honda stopped bringing them to the US is beyond me. They would sell like hotcakes.
BTW, if you look long enough, you can find a Pacific Coast with 20K miles or so for about 3K. There are guys in Japan and Europe who have squeezed out 200,000+ miles from them. I'm guessing I'll get 100K no problem. And because of the "Tupperware" body, they never rust. The engine is a rock, and the shaft drive is a smooth ride.

Velorex arrived today. Used 2007 with a little rust, a few scratches etc. Will keep you guys posted. I'm sure I'll need some help.

Attached files

E-mail me at hlibby@sbcglobal.net if you would like a series of pictures on how I attached mine to my Sportster. I also have a leveling technique you might like.

Attached files

I have the same bike, except for the Corbin seat and am planning on hacking it. Keep us updated and some pics. I am really interested in how you attach it and how you had to cut the tupperware.

OK, I will. Unfortunately, it's so f'ing cold here in NJ it's tough to start working on it in the garage.

What sort of sidecar are you attaching it too? Where are you located?

Do what you can to conceal the mounts on the bike side. I have a BMW K1200LT with a Hannigan sidecar. The installation allows for only small portions of the mount to show which is nice when the Hannigan is in the garage. Of all the folks who have looked at my bike I have only had two ask about the "metal things".

I have to agree with the folks who like the PC. Very nice looking scooters?/motorcycles? with finely crafted tupperware.

Loren

I am in Texas.

I am looking for the right sidecar so that is why I am really interested in how you do it.
It is cold here also, down to 62 this afternoon :).

If you did not know about it, there is a forum for PC800 which are hacked.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pc800scr/

Zorro39 - 12/6/2010 5:22 PM It is cold here also, down to 62 this afternoon 🙂

There's a two word response we have here in Jersey for a comment like that 🙂

Seriously though, I do belong to both PC800 Yahoo groups. Thanks.

BTW, is this board ALWAYS this slow? Seems like it takes forever to load sometimes.