Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Hi from Australia

I have been looking at the site for a while and have found it interesting.
I have a 2005 Harley Davidson Sporster with an Australian made Highway sidecar with a leading link front end, also Australian made. Of course the chair is on the left side of the bike here, which is good as the pipes are on the right side of the bike so it looks well balanced.
Will post some pictures when I figure out how.

Bye for now.

Sean.

Welcome to the site.

Hello Sean! Welcome aboard 🙂

Hi Sean: Welcome from a Yank with a Sportster rig as well. And I understand the comment re: the pipes -- our 2-into-1's are kinda hidden on the right, and really hot when you're working on adjusting the sidecar. Ask me how I learned that one. 😮

Here's our rig:

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Hey Sean...welcome to site....
Swampfox, I know what your saying concerning right side pipes...the Roadstar has both on right-side ....and it gets HOT in Florida??!!! ..... I like the red stripe on S/C ....is that paint or decals???

reference our previous discussion on S/C suspension......Bob Darden Emailed me about some of the suspension bushings being slightly oversized, and said he was having new ones made and would get back to me???

Mike......

Attached files

OLDBRITGIT - 1/27/2011 11:46 AM
..... stripes on S/C ....is that paint or decals???

Mike, the "racing" stripes are decals, that is self-adhesive vinyl ordered thru a local sign shop, cut into 2" and 3" strips to add a ?? effect, centered at the inside of the 3" stripe, as best we could -- used a blow dryer to heat the vinyl so it would stretch a little.

Keep me informed re: the results of the sidecar suspension modifications.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thanks for the welcome for an Aussie,
Lee, that is a nice outfit you have, much the same as my own. I have the 1200 custom sporty; how do you find the 883 to pull the chair along? I have 16" wheels all round, must work out how to post a picture!
Also have an old Yamaha XS 650 with sidecar that I have had for many years and is currently under going a restoration, however I do like my Harley. It's been trouble free and has more than enough grunt to pull the chair.
Sidecars in Australia are not common, there is an active group of owners and I believe they are growing in popularity. We are blessed with year round riding conditions so that helps I guess.
Suzuki GSX 1400's are a popular bike for sidecars here as well as Harley Davidsons, BMW's anything really when I think about what I see at the different events and rides.
I've been onto the Liberty sidecars web site, now they are really nice. It seems you are all spoiled for choice over there!!

All the best to you all.

Sean.

Sean Hogan - 1/27/2011 10:40 AM

I have been looking at the site for a while and have found it interesting.
I have a 2005 Harley Davidson Sporster with an Australian made Highway sidecar with a leading link front end, also Australian made. Of course the chair is on the left side of the bike here, which is good as the pipes are on the right side of the bike so it looks well balanced.
Will post some pictures when I figure out how.

Bye for now.

Sean.

Here are some very sophisticated HD combinations made in Germany by Mobec Sidecars.
(http://www.mobec.de/) I hope you´ll enjoy them.

Yes, from your point of view the cars are installed on the wrong side of the bike, but for us it is better since we ride on the right side of the road.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/STUETZRAD/nachlaufverkuerzungspringergabel2.jpg
Photobucket
Photobucket

I like HD motobikes very much from a classical point of view but what I really love and ride is this:
Photobucket

Regards from Germany, the other side of the pond.

S I G I

Sean Hogan - 1/28/2011 5:04 AM
Lee ... how do you find the 883 to pull the chair along?

The little 883 rigid mount Sportster keeps up with traffic -- you will not pass may folks, and it will run all day up to 62mph/100kmh, but vibration sets in above that threshold. There are only two modifications to the bike: A smaller front pulley gearing the bike down 4% with big benefits, plus an after market air cleaner+re-jet with stock pipes.

Thanks SIGI, I did enjoy the photo's. I would like to be able to fit flat profile car tyres to my outfit, I can't without changing the wheels and spending lots of cash. I doubt my wife would see the value!! and you can by a lot of tyres for what that sort of conversion would cost.
Lee, I have made no modificatons to the motor or exhuast; it's all standard just as she left the USA. I find I have to use the gear box to get her going through the hills apart from that she will run all day at 100kph and return about 230/240 km per tank. I have the custom tank, I think it's 17 litres.
Sean.

Sean, the best modification I can recommend for the Sportster is a smaller front pulley to lower the gearing. It greatly improved the overall dynamics of our little rig. But it does make the speedometer read too fast. /Lee

Good Day, Sean. Glad to have you here. I also have a HD that I have recently married to my sidecar. Check out my photo album.

But Sean and SwampFox I might be putting a chair onto my old Sportster also so I just might be picking your brains for thoughts/suggestions.

Crippled Ol' Man - 2/1/2011 6:56 AM
.... I might be putting a chair onto my old Sportster also so I just might be picking your brains for thoughts/suggestions.

If'n it wasn't so far away, I would have already taken a personal look at this one for sale up in Connecticut USA:

Liberty Sidecar specially produced for pre-2004 non-rubber mounted motor Harley Davidson Sportster. One of 70 produced by the manufacturer. have body mounts plus steering damper for attaching. has wiring harness to run running light and tail and stoplight. Black clear coat. Fitted with Harley mag rim and HD tire. Has adjustable shock with mounts to adjust ride height. $2600

Read more: http://hartford.ebayclassifieds.com/parts-accessories/falls-village/harley-davidson-sportster-side-car/?ad=8523648#ixzz1Ci0ge6Ft

Gee, SwampFox Ya got me droolin' all over myself. If I had the $$$$ I'd be looking/buying myself. After just getting the Spyder and getting it attached I'll have to wait awhile to find something to fit my 87 Sporty. Bummer that is one sweet looking sidecar and would look real good on a sportster. For that matter so would the Spyder. Hum - Maybe I'll just find something to put on the Electraglide to replace the Spyder and put the Spyder on the Sporty. Either way it's gonna have to wait. Since I messed up my body in Oct 09 - no work, not able. Finally got approved for disability end or 2010, otherwise I'd be selling things not buying. As it is - it sure wierd to have a motorcycle rig with handicapped license plates. Hope you get a chance to get that Liberty sidecar - it does look good.

Hi Lee and SIGI, here is my outfit from Australia, took a while to work out how to post it.
Thanks
Sean.

Attached files

Nice rig Sean. Very nice.

/Lee

Very Nice Rig Sean!!!! I like that leading link front fork. Who makes it?

It was made by SRK Engineering in Bathurst NSW. http://www.srkengineering.com.au
Have a look around their web site it's full of really nice outfits, SRK are probably the main sidecar and leading link people in Australia. They are really good to deal with.
When I first got the outfit it had telescopic forks and the 21" wheel with a single disk, it wasn't too bad but I had to work it through the corners. I can't believe the improvment with the LL forks, it's a treat to ride now. I would have liked to try the raked triple trees though, just as a comparison.

All the best to you all.
Sean.

Sean Hogan - 2/5/2011 12:21 AM

Hi Lee and SIGI, here is my outfit from Australia, took a while to work out how to post it.
Thanks
Sean.

Hello, Sean,

thanks for the pics. Your combination looks really great. I`m a fan of spoked wheels.
Ride always safe.

S I G I