Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Here's the latest from our friends across the puddle

Sydelines 145

The journal of the South Yorkshire Sidecar Club

July  2020

Certain members of the club are getting increasingly fed up of this lockdown. Last month’s day meet at Ollerton was a welcome distraction. Many members have urged me to find another suitable venue to visit. This is so difficult. Lots of places we could visit, but there are no facilities open to the public. Mainly toilet facilities. For us blokes, this is not so big a problem. A bush, normally suffices. For the ladies, it’s really tough.

Another problem will be, when all restrictions are lifted, I can imagine a cavalry charge out of the cities. Everyone heading for the great outdoors. Not really for me.

I have checked out on the internet, quite a few of the local places that folk like to visit. Most of them are open to visitors. But all stated that toilet facilities would be closed.

So, I had a ride round to check them out for myself.

I visited Elsecar Heritage Centre, open for business and toilets open. Then on to Worsborough Mill. This was open too, with usable toilets. Then on to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. This place is completely closed down. Finally I rode on to “Cannon Hall” country park. This too was open with toilets. In fact this place was packed with visitors. Hardly a space in the car park. I might add, this day was the hottest day of the year, so far. 

So, what I can gather, is that most of the information placed on any of the websites that you may want to visit, is very much out of date.

Having said all that, on Monday, I along with Chris Wilson and Mick Harkin, Had a ride out to the market town of Selby. En route we met up with Mark Fowler. Maurice Horn attempting to join us, got himself lost somewhere along the way. The visit was not in the least remarkable. It rained nearly all of the time that we were there. It was just good to get out on the bikes and to feel the wind on your face.

I understand that a few days ago, one or two others from our club went again to the “Green Hut” café at Ollerton. Things here had definitely changed. Most of the tables were taped out of use. Thus making it less appealing for customers to visit.

One place that is to open on the 1st July, is the “Seaways Café”. This is the café where we all meet when we go to Thixendale. You can bet it will be packed to capacity on this day.

I am afraid such gatherings at this moment in time do not fill me with desire.

My plan, is to give it time to settle down. Then I might put toe in the water.

I have recently had word from John Hinde that the Fed rally is not yet cancelled, but there is serious doubt that the rugby club at Market Harborough will be able to accommodate an event the size of the Fed rally.

Whenever there is an easing of the lockdown, things may improve. Then our “FED” committee may organise some kind of low key event.

As I have stated, whenever I hear of any news. You will be informed.

Last months story from Bob Ratcliffe has jogged Trevor’s memory of days gone by.

A bit of history

I was a member of the “Sheffield Affiliated Motorcycles” back in 1981. It was a very good club. We had many runs out, and treasure hunts. One time I had to lean out over a bridge to get the clue. It was really good fun. One time I took my dad along. Then when he started telling stories from way back. All of the lads were around him soaking up the info. At that time I was riding an A.J.S. 250.

Kawaman

Some of you may remember Sydney”Mac” Dewsnap. Not so long ago, Mac was a very active member of the club. At the moment he is seriously ill in hospital. At one stage his condition was critical. Obviously at this time, no visitors are allowed, so all we can do is to get bulletins from his partner June.

We all are in need of something to make us smile, so here are a couple of photos of an abandoned sidecar project. I will not divulge the name of the designer in order to not cause him any embarrassment. I suppose at sometime or another, lots of us have put pencil to paper and designed our dream sidecar. Most never got any further.              

Hoping to see you in a field somewhere this year.  Regards John

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Another news letter from the South Yorkshire Sidecar Club...

Sydelines 147
The journal of the South Yorkshire Sidecar Club
September 2020

It does seem like this pandemic is not going to go away anytime soon. We all have our theories on who or what is to blame. All I will say is that sidecarring and motorcycling in general, does not in any way contribute to any infection. Whether we are innocent or not, we are swept up with the paranoia that is infecting our everyday existence.

All of our club activities have been affected. No clubroom since late March. John Procter has contacted the scouts as to the resumption of scout hut activities. Not until late September at the earliest. I suspect that even our Easter rally next year (2021) is still far from certain.

As I reported in the previous issue. We have been having impromptu rides out. No pre- planning etc. It has been suggested that we should have a pre-set day of the week, once a month, when we can all go to a venue that we all know. Midweek preferable.

The “Green Hut” at Ollerton is one such place. Also “Squires” & “Elsecar” are good venues. We need to keep these spread out so as to be fair to all that come along.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.  An acceptable day can then be made.

For a starter, may I suggest, next Tuesday. That will be the September 1st.. at The Green Hut at Ollerton. Meet at 12 noon. That is this coming Tuesday.

Once there we can set up a small calendar of events.

Recently, Chris Wilson & I, rode up to North Yorkshire to check out a couple of campsites. In the event, after a leisurely ride, we only managed the one. This is “Abbot’s House Farm”. This is situated down a lane at the side of the “Aidensfield Arms” in the village of Goathland.

This place is ideal for a couple of nights camping midweek. There is also a bunk-barn which can accommodate 4,8, or 12 people. This arrangement might work for us next year, as the Thixendale weekend seems to have run it’s course.

However, the price for this luxury is £20 p.p.p.n. Definitely not Thixendale prices.

One of our members rang me recently to tell me of a campsite in the High Peak which had been recommended to him. I checked this site out on the good old Internet. I have never read such a damning review of any other campsite. I know that you should never take anyone’s opinion at face value. But, I do think that such a place as this needs someone to chance their arm, and try out this place. I will never book a site unknowing.

I am grateful that club members are doing their best to promote club activities. It’s a shame that sometimes the time & effort seems to be wasted.

More doom & gloom. I was intending to put my rig on the road for August. No chance. The silencer was shot. More holes in it than a Tory manifesto. I am now waiting the arrival of a replacement system. So should be on the road for Sept. Since then:-

Silencer arrived & fitted. Test booked. A good hose down and all should be o/k.

If you remember, in June I launched an appeal for the “Yorkshire Air Ambulance” I have now closed the appeal. I am hoping to draw the raffle for the battery charger at Squires Coffee Bar when we do the FED scatter rally.

I must say that I was a little disappointed with the response. However I did send a cheque for the sum of £200 to the “Y.A.A.” from the “S.Y.S.C.” Thanks to all that donated. The winner will be notified through this newsletter.

Dates to consider.

Sept 1st.  Day meet at “Green Hut” Ollerton   12 noon.

Sept.  18th. 20th  Acaster Malbis. Contact Don Leng on 01759 371334

Do not turn up unexpected. You may be turned away.

Here’s what this years FED rally logo might look like.

Fed-Logo.pdf · [Delete] 

I hope you enjoy the joke.  Safe riding.  John

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.