Notifications
Clear all

Helper ramp for getting bikes on centerstand

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@marsman)
Topic starter

I've noticed a number of discussions about the difficulty of getting big touring bikes on the centerstand. When I had a BMW K1200LT, I made a little ramp to help with the process. Now I use it with my GL1500 with sidecar. See a demonstration here:

https://youtu.be/IXyuMqA-vfk

Posted : December 18, 2022 8:52 am
(@ned)

That'a a cool little gizmo, and so easy to make!

I'm wondering -- what are the different scenarios where folks would want to use a centerstand on a sidecar rig?

I've had my GS rig for 9 years and it has a sidestand only.  I use a floor jack when I need to lift the front or rear in the garage.  Over the road, I carry a Porsche aluminum jack to deal with any tire issues. I've only had my Goldwing rig for two years and, honestly, I just went out to the garage to see if it even had a centerstand!  I really didn't know. (Answer - yes.)

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : December 18, 2022 2:19 pm
(@mick-boon)

Quote from DRONE on December 18, 2022, 7:19 pm

That'a a cool little gizmo, and so easy to make!

I'm wondering -- what are the different scenarios where folks would want to use a centerstand on a sidecar rig?

I've had my GS rig for 9 years and it has a sidestand only.  I use a floor jack when I need to lift the front or rear in the garage.  Over the road, I carry a Porsche aluminum jack to deal with any tire issues. I've only had my Goldwing rig for two years and, honestly, I just went out to the garage to see if it even had a centerstand!  I really didn't know. (Answer - yes.)

Center stands are useful when removing the rear wheel.

Posted : December 18, 2022 4:11 pm
(@calvin-watson)

What happens to the sidecare when the bike goes up on the center stand? Does it stay on the ground, or go up too? Will it put stress in the mounting hardware?

Posted : January 29, 2023 11:18 am