Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

hd sidecars

PreviousPage 2 of 2

comet66 - 4/14/2011 3:34 AM

I was thinking more about the availability of parts.Guess I'll deal with that when the time comes.

The drum brakes work just fine and the drums and shoes will last a long time. It wouldn't be practical to change to a disc for the small difference you might get.

Honda did build a bike with an auto transmission. It was more than a few years ago. 1977-79. I installed about twenty Sweet SL-110 sidecars on them. I still have one in my shop. There was the 750, and they also made a 350. They worked great for guys that had a handicap. I installed a sidecar on a 350 for a gentleman that was 82 at the time. That would be in 1980. He had his right hand cut off. That happened when he was 67 years old. When I delivered the unit to his house he invited me in. Looking around I noticed a picture of him on the wall and a trophy next to it. The picture was taken in 1929. He had just won the Indoor Bike Racing World Championship, and the trophy was being presented to him by May West of all people. The trophy was around six feet tall.
He left for Daytona bike week the next week. O, by the way he drove the dam thing all the way down to Florida, and back. Remember he was 82 at the time. They don't make em like that any more. When I see some of these fat asses I just laugh. I liked the old guys form the past. That's when men where men, and not a bunch of cry baby's.
If you don't thing we have a bunch of fat asses riding today. When I was designing the Crossbow Victory trike for Lehman they mentioned that they get countless requests for a luggage box on the back of the trikes wide enough to cover the wide buts of the corn fed girls. Wasn't it once said " Hay I don't make the news, I just report it".
Enjoy, Later. Johnny Sweet

Johnny Sweet - 4/29/2011 5:19 PM

Honda did build a bike with an auto transmission. It was more than a few years ago. 1977-79. I installed about twenty Sweet SL-110 sidecars on them. I still have one in my shop. There was the 750, and they also made a 350. They worked great for guys that had a handicap. I installed a sidecar on a 350 for a gentleman that was 82 at the time. That would be in 1980. He had his right hand cut off. That happened when he was 67 years old. When I delivered the unit to his house he invited me in. Looking around I noticed a picture of him on the wall and a trophy next to it. The picture was taken in 1929. He had just won the Indoor Bike Racing World Championship, and the trophy was being presented to him by May West of all people. The trophy was around six feet tall.
He left for Daytona bike week the next week. O, by the way he drove the dam thing all the way down to Florida, and back. Remember he was 82 at the time. They don't make em like that any more. When I see some of these fat asses I just laugh. I liked the old guys form the past. That's when men where men, and not a bunch of cry baby's.
If you don't thing we have a bunch of fat asses riding today. When I was designing the Crossbow Victory trike for Lehman they mentioned that they get countless requests for a luggage box on the back of the trikes wide enough to cover the wide buts of the corn fed girls. Wasn't it once said " Hay I don't make the news, I just report it".
Enjoy, Later. Johnny Sweet

Sounds like you don't like fat folks very much........

I don't have a problem with what you call fat folks. I call them obese, but that's OK. I'm 66, and when I was a kid you would have to go to the Circus, or a carnival to see what walking around on our streets. You are seeing the decay of this great country in front of your eyes. 50% of the youth can't even pass the phisical test to join the armed forces. A sad state of affairs.
I've had a lot of friends through the years. You would call them fat folks. They where great people, but there not with us any longer, because they ate like pigs,and left us way to early. I miss them every day. So if you take offense because I mention about fat asses to bad. I make no apologies. When I went into the army in 1965 I was 190 lbs. and have kept that weight for forty six years. If my weight moved three pounds I do something about it.
I find it interesting that you didn't have anything to say about a real man's man riding a bike and sidecar all the way to Daytona with one hand, but was concerned about my comment about what you call fat folks. Did I hit home!
I stand by anything I write. I'm proud to be an original American Entrepreneur, and a Patriot. If some of you sort belly's that have moved into sidecars over the last few years can't handle a guy like me, then this forum may not be for me. I was hoping I could help some having built 450 sidecars, and coming from a family that has had sidecars in one form or another for the last 80 years. I don't beleave there is another family with that kind of sidecar heritage.
Later, Johnny Sweet

yes, you cannot help me. yes, i have no desire to "handle a guy like" you. your definition of a "real" man is narrow, and your pride is just arrogance. you say "i call them obese" in the same breathe with "fat asses", "and carnival acts." by all means do not apologize, and i wish you the best of luck finding a more suitable site.

It's not arrogance. Guy's like me, and the generations that came before us made this country what it once was. You liberal harts would never understand that. You have spent the last forty years tearing it apart. Did I also hit home with you. I bet you never created a job for someone else in your life You only took from those of us that created jobs and opportunity. And don't worry about having to handle a guy like me. Your only one voice and time will tell if there are more like minded liberals like yourself. If so I will move on to a place with like minded people.
The Carnival thing got you. Good! wake up.
Johnny sweet

Johnny Sweet - 5/2/2011 5:23 AM

I don't have a problem with what you call fat folks. I call them obese, but that's OK. I'm 66, and when I was a kid you would have to go to the Circus, or a carnival to see what walking around on our streets. You are seeing the decay of this great country in front of your eyes. 50% of the youth can't even pass the phisical test to join the armed forces. A sad state of affairs.
I've had a lot of friends through the years. You would call them fat folks. They where great people, but there not with us any longer, because they ate like pigs,and left us way to early. I miss them every day. So if you take offense because I mention about fat asses to bad. I make no apologies. When I went into the army in 1965 I was 190 lbs. and have kept that weight for forty six years. If my weight moved three pounds I do something about it.
I find it interesting that you didn't have anything to say about a real man's man riding a bike and sidecar all the way to Daytona with one hand, but was concerned about my comment about what you call fat folks. Did I hit home!
I stand by anything I write. I'm proud to be an original American Entrepreneur, and a Patriot. If some of you sort belly's that have moved into sidecars over the last few years can't handle a guy like me, then this forum may not be for me. I was hoping I could help some having built 450 sidecars, and coming from a family that has had sidecars in one form or another for the last 80 years. I don't beleave there is another family with that kind of sidecar heritage.
Later, Johnny Sweet

You've been here since April 21. that's 12 days now. You've made 9 posts and now you call us liberals and fat asses. This forum is certainly not for you. Nor is a sidecar for you. You need to run with some outlaw bunch where your sort of parlance would be more acceptable.

The people on this list are from all walks of life. Some are thin, some are heavy, some liberals, some conservative, maybe even a communist or two. They are all pretty decent in my estimattion, except for you.

You come here and brag about your former "glory" building sidecars and then characterize people who own and ride sidecars as soft. You are 66? Big deal. You are nothing more than another keyboard coward with a bad personality.

Joyce, where are you?

🙁

EDIT: I think you are nothing more than a troll......

I'm here, been watching. I don't like where this is going either.

I am another voice Mr. Sweet. I come to this forum to get information from all these great people and learn from their experiences with sidecars. They have been willing to answer any questions or give advice to many of us novice sidecarist. You don’t know anyone here and you have no right to say anything bad about them. I don’t care about your sidecar heritage the way you talk about people. The wonderful people in this forum have all the knowledge I need. Goodbye Mr. Sweet

Johnny is gone. Not my favorite thing to do but sometimes it is necessary. Now back to being nice to each other.

Thanks Joyce. That was going way out there.

Lonnie

Thanks. Good work! 🙂

yes, let's be nice. i saw several of the HD sidecars at the ride for kids in Humble, they were very nice, i really liked the suspension, and the way the interior was appointed. i don't ride a Harley and it will be awhile before i could afford there sidecar, but for those who do and can i hope someone like Liberty takes advantage of the gap in the market.
thanks to everyone who makes this site a pleasant and helpful place, and to Joyce for making the hard choices and keeping us in line.

yes i think liberty will fill the gap.they have look of the old sidecars which i like.

Not worth the expense to convert the disk. Not much difference in performance for large males.

IndianDrives - 7/1/2011 1:22 AM

Not worth the expense to convert the disk. Not much difference in performance for large males.

what the heck getting an early start, go have a hormel sandwhich..... :o:-(

PreviousPage 2 of 2