For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

hd sidecars

Page 1 of 2Next

is it true that harley-davidson has QUIT making sidecars an accessory

Yes

jammer - 4/7/2011 6:31 PM

is it true that harley-davidson has QUIT making sidecars an accessory

Yes. The way it was said is that they will "quit taking orders for them as of 1 January 2011" There were obviously orders that had been placed before the decision was made and they will be completed.

They have said that the Moco will also continue making parts available. It's been my experience that parts availability on discontinued models begins to get spotty after three to five years.

Sidecars were always just a sideline for HD. Beginning in the 1920's and up through the 1950's when I first rode one commercially, they were a good percentage of their business. They sold to police and commercial firms to a very large extent. Those and the Model G Servicar were quite common. Lots of Police departments had fleets of both styles, Chicago PD even used to chase speeders on the Servicars. LOL.

Like everything else, times change. They are now apparently going to build trikes. I rode one. They are nice, but they don't have that motorcycle feeling like a sidecar unit does. Good luck selling them at $35,000 a pop in this economy. .

yes sadly they stopped making the sidecar.they put all thier eggs in the tri-glide basket .with the ecomomy in the crapper few people will be buying $35k toys.parts will not be around long.most companies wait til they get enuff orders before they do a run of parts.so if you are the first order you may be waiting a while.

Economics 101: You are selling motorcycles and accessories in 2011. Your 20th Century unsprung chassis sidecar isn't selling.
Trikes are trendy, Hacks aren't. Both cost about the same off the showroom floor. The Boomers have $$ and a trike (with reverse) is easy to ride and seatrs tandem like their Ski-doo, Personal watercraft, ATV, or the step through Honda / Yamaha they had in their teens.
Ergo, you drop the Hack rigs and peddle Trikes. Most dealer shops don't know how to mount or dismount a sidecar and many won't service a bike with a sidecar attached since their "Techs" (not mechaincs) won't bend over anymore.
Harley will also be putting automatic transmissions in them soon.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 4/8/2011 9:12 AM

Economics 101: You are selling motorcycles and accessories in 2011. Your 20th Century unsprung chassis sidecar isn't selling.
Trikes are trendy, Hacks aren't. Both cost about the same off the showroom floor. The Boomers have $$ and a trike (with reverse) is easy to ride and seatrs tandem like their Ski-doo, Personal watercraft, ATV, or the step through Honda / Yamaha they had in their teens.
Ergo, you drop the Hack rigs and peddle Trikes. Most dealer shops don't know how to mount or dismount a sidecar and many won't service a bike with a sidecar attached since their "Techs" (not mechaincs) won't bend over anymore.

Lonnie

Too True

parts will be a big issue.first there are not a lot of parts to begin with for sidecars [later ones for sure]and Harley will not keep making extra parts very long.i watch ebay for any thing that will fit my sidecar.time to stockpile stuff as i find it.it would be interesting to know harleys sidecar production numbers for the last 10 years.but i did find a dealer that will service my harley with the sidecar on it .[and i will bring a dozen donuts for the techs who work on it.]

My last rear tire change at Grand Junction HD was well worth the $20. donation for beer or donuts for the crew and the $5. for the kid who stayed late to wash 9 days of road crud and bugs off the rig.

Thanks again guys,

Lonnie

horrorguy - 4/9/2011 9:11 AM

parts will be a big issue.first there are not a lot of parts to begin with for sidecars [later ones for sure]and Harley will not keep making extra parts very long.i watch ebay for any thing that will fit my sidecar.time to stockpile stuff as i find it.it would be interesting to know harleys sidecar production numbers for the last 10 years.but i did find a dealer that will service my harley with the sidecar on it .[and i will bring a dozen donuts for the techs who work on it.]

Yeah, parts might get tight. Best thing to get would be a spare axle and a wheel and brake disc and caliper. Most anything else could be made.

It may be tough for companies like Liberty. I understand that they use part of the HD mounts on their FL rigs. They also mount to Dynas and Softails but Harley doesn't make mounts for those since they don't recomment sidecars for those machines.

I doubt that you will be able to find much information their sidecar output. The don't publish stuff on sidecars like they do for their solo machines.

1914 was the first Harley sidecar.hopefully Liberty will make their own mounts and take the sidecar orders that Harley threw away.

horrorguy - 4/9/2011 1:20 PM

1914 was the first Harley sidecar.hopefully Liberty will make their own mounts and take the sidecar orders that Harley threw away.

That would be nice since there are few sidecar manufacturers left......

Hack'n - 4/8/2011 11:12 AM

Lonnie

Didn't Honda try automatic transmissions a few years ago?

I don't recall it being that successful, of course that was on 2 wheelers you have to balance.

bluehdmc - 4/9/2011 8:24 PM

Hack'n - 4/8/2011 11:12 AM

Lonnie

Didn't Honda try automatic transmissions a few years ago?

I don't recall it being that successful, of course that was on 2 wheelers you have to balance.

Yes, I think it may have been in the late 1970's. They built a dual range unit in 400cc and 750 ccsizes. They didn't sell well and they retired them after a short period. I never rode one but I understand that they worked well.....just not popular in the motorcycling world,

The Hondamatics are rare but still popular for handicapped sidecar pilots. We've set up a few of them.

Lonnie

i really shouldnt care if Harley stopped sidecar production.the chances of me buying a new hd sidecar were zip.the last new harley i bought was in 1988 and i ran an old shovelhead for over a decade .so i am not on the motor companys list of people they give a seconds notice to.if i do buy a new harley it will be that retro looking flatblack cross bones.then i would buy a liberty sidecar.but there shouldbe enuff used hd cars out there to last the rest of my time on this planet.

Hack'n - 4/9/2011 11:37 PM

The Hondamatics are rare but still popular for handicapped sidecar pilots. We've set up a few of them.

Lonnie

Had a 750 Hondamatic with a Velorex a number of years ago. It was a good outfit.

I have a drum brake Harley sidecar, I wonder what it would take to convert it to disk. Have any of you guys ever made the conversion?

It's not worth the expense to convert to disc. Not all that much noticable difference in efficiency for big bucks.

Lonnie

I am sorry to hear this! I am glade at least I have one. Now I need to get off my butt and install it. Hopefully a week from Saturday.

I was thinking more about the availability of parts.Guess I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Page 1 of 2Next