Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Harley Upper Mount Clunk

I'm getting clunking from the front, upper mount on my '72 Harley - mostly when turning in a tight radius and sometimes on large bumps. Is that normal, and how much should that spring be compressed? I greased the mount and tightened the nut so the spring was half compressed. Maybe I need to tighten it more?

I'm having fun with the rig and the ability to haul stuff around. The bike was little used in the last 5 years, so this is a welcome change.

I would like to know this too. Mine has been making noise similar to what you are saying mine is more like a squeak for over 20,000 miles so far not a problem. I do recommend checking the torque on all fasteners. I have checked mine many times but yet found any loose.

Looking forward to what other have to say!

Can you post a picture of the mount? Not sure I know what the spring is you are talking about. Thanks

Could it be just the clearance between the mounting bolt and the hole in the mount? Tightening the spring won't change this gap.

Lonnie

Attached files

I am trying to post a pic of my mount, but I haven't been able to get it to work for the last few days.

I have the newer TLE mounts so I don't have a spring on that mount. Maybe you can see if the mount is moving by using a zip tie or something.

mine is newer and has a cone and a spring... with the cone it stays tight

to