Notifications
Clear all

Harley triple tree stem bearing adjustment

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@redharley)
Topic starter

Looking for some info on adjusting my 1996 dyna with an aftermarket wideglide front end.  Bike came with these parts installed years ago.  Does make my rig with sidecar steer great for the most part. Over the years noticed I was getting a wobble at higher speeds and rough roads. There is no play in bearings. Fall away is very loose. Thinking I would like to tighten.  Top cap nut comes off under upper tree is a star adjuster can you just tighten it with punch and tapping or is three more too it. Included some pics.  Thanks

Posted : February 17, 2021 11:04 am
(@panhead_kicker)

That's the correct one on an OEM neck stem. Tighten until noticable drag on the steering , then back off until steering will fall away easily, left or right. That's what the service manual states for a big twin FL. Your Dyna manual and /or the aftermarket manufactures' instructions may differ.

Posted : February 18, 2021 3:08 pm
(@neville-l-te-brugge)

I would loosen the top tree until I could slide it up so that I can back off the adjustment until the bottom race is visible and repack it with sticky grease then do the same to the top race. Just jack the bike up to get the neck stem to move. Then with the front wheel off the ground just tighten the adjuster nut till the front end moves easy and you cannot feel any looseness when you shake the front end. Slide the top tree down and you got it. Have you got a steering damper? it may be weak/worn. Chuck

Posted : February 19, 2021 12:43 am
(@redharley)
Topic starter

Thanks for the input.  No steering damper I pretty sure just needed adjusted. I got it adjusted,now just need some better weather to road test it here in PA.  

Posted : February 21, 2021 1:10 am
(@neville-l-te-brugge)

Oh boy you have my sympathy its not too cold here in upstate SC till you ride and boy is that air cold. I use a duster over everything and I have found that a Shemaugh is the best neck scarf to keep the air out around my neck but it still gets thru. I also have found that I can put a bunch of layers under that duster and it really is warmer longer than any of the Hi Tech stuff that I have and the bike also has a tendency to sneeze going up hills too. I have a 72 main jet in, thats one up from stock for my S&S super. I run Vance and Hines pipes with a 3/4" washer restrictor at the back. Its not too noisy and does give good low end power for putting etc  Chuck

Posted : February 21, 2021 3:50 am