Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Harley TLE frame flex question

I know the HD frame flexes like a torsion bar, but riding the twisties today I noticed it is really flexy. Maybe it's always been that way but I don't know. I bet there is enough flex for a degree or two of lean out. With it sitting level in the garage I can step on the floorboards and lean the bike out and it stays leaned out. To the right I think the lower fairing stops it because it touches. All the bolts are tight and I can't figure if it's normal or not. I recently took the car off because there were way too many threads showing on the toe adjustments per the tech manual so I starter from scratch. I set lean at 1 out loaded and 3/4 toe and have the car wheel within .25 deg of perpendicular. Pulls a little left as slow speed or coasting but drag could do that. I will say it drives better that it has since I bought it after the adjustment.

I can feel mine flexing on certain roads but it doesn't seem like it is moving very much. I would probably check all the bolts again, the front brace brackets under the sidecar in particular.

top frame mount will loosen and move up and down upper frame rails

I will look at that upper mount. I only checked the slider under the car and the ubolts. It was really weird , on hard right handers the bike was way out there to the left.

The front mount was a little loose and moving on the car side about 1/4". That little slip got me to 5deg lean out when to the outside extreme. Let's hope a little locktite keeps that from happening again. No wonder it was squirrelly and I thought something was wrong. I think she is all aligned back up! Getting that SC wheel perpendicular is the hardest adjustment in my opinion.

That's why I don't use clamped mounts. These are the front mounts on a Suzuki S-40.

Attached files