Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Harley Sidecar Manual

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com

Walter - 8/17/2010 1:54 PM

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com

They are copyright by Harley-Davidson. They aren't available here. The P/N is 99485-XX (year of manual). There are lots of them available on eBay or from the Harley-Davidson dealer.

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Lonnie, thanks for the info. It seems to me as I look through this website you are quite knowledgeable and willing to help and I appreciate that. I'm a new SC guy - I really think the SC's are cool and am trying to get into it. I have a front-end wobble at low speeds (25-35MPH) - still trying to figure out at what specific MPH - It is enough though where you can't take hands off handlebar and I don't. When the SC was istalled they said the wobble is normal and see if you can get used to it or you can add a damper ( I really don't want toadd a damper, unless I have to) and from what I read so far in the website- not such a good idea anyway.

Hack'n - 8/17/2010 5:08 PM

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Gee Lonnie...my Harley sidecar has springs under the tub..........

Gee 109, ......It's still an unsprung chassis as you well know.
Only the banana boat is sprung all else is unsprung weight.

I think Walter was hoping the Harley Sidecar Manual would help him out but he seems to have a (sprung) CSC Champion GT sidecar on a Softtail which is a whole nother animal than an ElectraGlide/TLE rig.

My new Liberty has chrome springs under the tub AND full adjustable chassis suspension.

To each his own, Cheers,

Lonnie

Attached files

Come on guys. No matter that Walter is hanging a Champion or Companion hack on his softtail, at least he's trying. I advised him to seek a sidecar school that would have some knowledgeable techs that may be able to tune him in and check with the Liberty folks about triple trees.

Shoot on that note, I may get rid of my Road King TLE setup and build an old 750 Honda with the rear section of an old Austin taxi bolted out to the right. Can't come out any worse than what Walter is trying to do. Remember, he's here for support and probably shouldn't be hammered on, yet. He'll do that on his own.

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

old iron - 8/23/2010 4:54 PM

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

The ones for that era are extremely rare. The parts listings are usually found in the parts manual for the particular year of Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

wow,glad my 54 fl doesn't have all that safety crap you guy's have my sidecar takes 30 minutes to hookup or remove including coffee time..granted no side breaks no lites..goes with no brains say's the wife..and harley won't tell me the right way the 32 commercial should be set up.. had to learn by trial and terror..

old iron - 8/23/2010 7:54 PM Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

I have some parts info for sidecars around those years parts what were you looking for specificly?

kenjh - 2/5/2011 12:00 AM

wow,glad my 54 fl doesn't have all that safety crap you guy's have my sidecar takes 30 minutes to hookup or remove including coffee time..granted no side breaks no lites..goes with no brains say's the wife..and harley won't tell me the right way the 32 commercial should be set up.. had to learn by trial and terror..

I know what the brakes are like on a 54FL and if you do not have a brake on the side car makes for a very interesting ride. LOL I use to have a 1946UL and if it was not for the gears with out a sidecar I would never get it stopped. So with a side car you must have to start slowing down about 3 yards before you want to stop. The only thing the 54 had over my 46 is a little bigger front brake but still all mechanical.

How about post pictures of your ride please.

ive seen manuals from the 60's on ebay - especially in the last year after they stopped making them

to

Most of the time on the older bikes the information for the sidecar is in the standard service manual. You can get just about all the service manuals from 1940 up in reprints. They never real had any service manuals till 1940 other then what they called shop dope. Now there are some that have compiled earlier manuals but never had them from the factory till 1940.

nice to see others are into the old stuff..with my 54 ..I have disk brakes front and rear..standard Harley so only a little better then drum's!!!!!..as soon as I learn how to post /copy/paste///??/ I will get some pixtures up...you guy's amaze me with your trip'z and places you go ...looking forward to trying more road time...

Here is my 46u I built out of pieces. Been in 12 shows won 22 awards been in 3 magazines and one news paper. It was my daily rider for years and I rode it on trips as long as 1,800 miles. I have built numerous old bikes that have been in magazines. I now have a 2002 Ultra I have ridden to all but five states excluding Hawaii for obvious reasons. See my map in all my listings. To post picture I think you will need a photo host.
Photobucket
Outlaw Biker March 1993

My ride now picture from when I rode to Alaska and back. Little over 10,000 miles in a month.
Photobucket

wow.....I mean ..WOW !!!!...

kenjh - 2/5/2011 12:00 PM nice to see others are into the old stuff..with my 54 ..I have disk brakes front and rear..standard Harley so only a little better then drum's!!!!!..as soon as I learn how to post /copy/paste///??/ I will get some pixtures up...you guy's amaze me with your trip'z and places you go ...looking forward to trying more road time...

Kenjh

First let me say it would be better/safer to have brakes on the sidecar BUT what an older sidecar jockey told me that helps a bit is when you are comming to a stop slightly move the bars to the right NOT to turn, but what it does is aids in slowing the sidecar wheel speed down a bit,because there isn't a brake on the sidecar wheel to slow it down, I did this for a good 10 years with a 72 flh/hd car that had no brakes on the car .

Not really the ideal thing but it helps............AGAIN only move the bars enough to keep yourself traveling straight ideally you should install some brakes

If this manual is still available, please send a file to apfarnsworth@gmail.com. Thanks very much, Alan

if you are still emailing copies i would like one - wrbaffi@msn.com - thanks

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next