Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Harley Sidecar Manual

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next

the bas is required after 2003 - without it the engine shut off sequence can occur easy in a right hand turn if the tire comes up just a tiny bit.

and yes its the 88115-03 - thats the bas

the lock for the sidestand is needed because the starter wont engage unless the bike is on the sidestand so... they have to lock it in place with a new part that will allow the starter to engage.. in fact you have to turn the switch ON THEN put in neutral to start or it wont start.

basically - if you mount a sidecar - then remove it and sell it without reading the manual - instead of throwing out 1k of parts - its 2k of parts and the bike may not even start

the cross frame prevents the kickstand from coming all the way up and will turn on the "kickstand down" alarm or light or whatever it is.

on my bike i have to remove the bulb in the right rear turn signal or none of them work - on the new ones - you have to remove a jumper when you remove the sidecar or the turn signal wont work. but only on two models

it used to be there were two models - tle, tleu...

now its tle for ultra, tle for road king, tle for .......

wheels and wire are no longer common amongst the touring bikes.. so..... wheel, wire, cable, brackets - change from model to model and year to year.. each sidecar comes to fit ONE model for ONE year

we have reached that point i figured we would get to - a sidecar on a 2007 ultra is only good for a 2007 ultra or its 2k less value of the parts are left on the bike.

*sigh* i figured that would happen next year - it already did and i didnt notice.

to

timo482 - 3/2/2010 5:55 PM

the bas is required after 2003 - without it the engine shut off sequence can occur easy in a right hand turn if the tire comes up just a tiny bit.

and yes its the 88115-03 - thats the bas

the lock for the sidestand is needed because the starter wont engage unless the bike is on the sidestand so... they have to lock it in place with a new part that will allow the starter to engage.. in fact you have to turn the switch ON THEN put in neutral to start or it wont start.

basically - if you mount a sidecar - then remove it and sell it without reading the manual - instead of throwing out 1k of parts - its 2k of parts and the bike may not even start

the cross frame prevents the kickstand from coming all the way up and will turn on the "kickstand down" alarm or light or whatever it is.

on my bike i have to remove the bulb in the right rear turn signal or none of them work - on the new ones - you have to remove a jumper when you remove the sidecar or the turn signal wont work. but only on two models

it used to be there were two models - tle, tleu...

now its tle for ultra, tle for road king, tle for .......

wheels and wire are no longer common amongst the touring bikes.. so..... wheel, wire, cable, brackets - change from model to model and year to year.. each sidecar comes to fit ONE model for ONE year

we have reached that point i figured we would get to - a sidecar on a 2007 ultra is only good for a 2007 ultra or its 2k less value of the parts are left on the bike.

*sigh* i figured that would happen next year - it already did and i didnt notice.

to

Interesting changes.

We are having a slight semantic problem. The 88115-03 is a Roll Over Protection Switch. It converts the Bank Angle Sensor, which remains inside of the TSSM behind the battery, into a 180 degree rollover shutoff switch once the system has been toggled by your friendly Harley-Davbidson dealer for a small fee.....

As to the cost of the connection kit, you're right about that. It's going to go sky high. An interesting situation is when someone buys a Harley with a sidecar and then sells the sidecar and keeps all of the special parts on the bike. That's a real problem for the purchaser of the sidecar. He will have to shell out some big money to get the correct kit. Nice.

when a rig is separated is where the trouble has always been... several things are different now...

first - buyers are going to be FURIOUS when they find out the used sidecar is not complete - at 900 bux its sort of a d*&^n i was not paying attention - at 2k its g*&&^%t its going to cost MORE than a new sidecar to fix this d*&^n used one - ive been screwed - its enough cash to take to small claims

second - the bike the sidecar has been removed from - it wont start, or run, and on two models the rear lights wont work until the kit is removed - or 90 % removed - the bas and the jumper harness and the cross frame have to be REMOVED to get it to start and ride - it will sit there and alarm at you if you try to ride it because it will KNOW its missing a wheel.......

third - the bike brakes are now enough changed - that upon removal its going to cost actual BUX to make the brakes work solo - it used to be "find a plug" now its "find a solo master cyl & a bolt and a pedal.

so the buyer of the BIKE that was split is also going to be furious when he finds he cant ride it away.

folks used to purchase combinations thinking that they were going to make a small fortune separating them and selling them off - instead they lose 16 hours of labor and 2k bux on the separation unless they happen to actually read the manual and find a sidecar buyer with the exact right model and year - paint is now the CHEAPEST part of the conversion.

essentially - for a 2009 or 2010 hd sidecar combination - making it into a solo bike now makes as much sense as buying a new tri glide and making that into a solo bike.

for a 2007 or 2008 its still easy to get the bike back to solo - but the sidecar parts are all "one year only" so the whole d*&n kit goes in the trash if a matching year bike is not found.

i may be financially FORCED to sell my bike - the sidecar i own - but the whole kit is a waste.. *arrggggg*

to

to

timo482 - 3/2/2010 6:27 PM

when a rig is separated is where the trouble has always been... several things are different now...

first - buyers are going to be FURIOUS when they find out the used sidecar is not complete - at 900 bux its sort of a d*&^n i was not paying attention - at 2k its g*&&^%t its going to cost MORE than a new sidecar to fix this d*&^n used one - ive been screwed - its enough cash to take to small claims

second - the bike the sidecar has been removed from - it wont start, or run, and on two models the rear lights wont work until the kit is removed - or 90 % removed - the bas and the jumper harness and the cross frame have to be REMOVED to get it to start and ride - it will sit there and alarm at you if you try to ride it because it will KNOW its missing a wheel.......

third - the bike brakes are now enough changed - that upon removal its going to cost actual BUX to make the brakes work solo - it used to be "find a plug" now its "find a solo master cyl & a bolt and a pedal.

so the buyer of the BIKE that was split is also going to be furious when he finds he cant ride it away.

folks used to purchase combinations thinking that they were going to make a small fortune separating them and selling them off - instead they lose 16 hours of labor and 2k bux on the separation unless they happen to actually read the manual and find a sidecar buyer with the exact right model and year - paint is now the CHEAPEST part of the conversion.

essentially - for a 2009 or 2010 hd sidecar combination - making it into a solo bike now makes as much sense as buying a new tri glide and making that into a solo bike.

for a 2007 or 2008 its still easy to get the bike back to solo - but the sidecar parts are all "one year only" so the whole d*&n kit goes in the trash if a matching year bike is not found.

i may be financially FORCED to sell my bike - the sidecar i own - but the whole kit is a waste.. *arrggggg*

to

to

You mentioned removing the right turn signal bulb. I also had to do that to get the turn signals to work.

I certainly hope that you don't have to sell your rig. It's unfortunate when finances are a problem. Believe me, I've been there - more than once, too.

These are difficult times, for sure.

Hang in there.
🙂

oh yes, difficult times...

i have one actual work offer for the summer, 12 bux a hour if i only work 8 hours a day.. ha... maximum 12k this summer..

last year i made 12k... the year before 57k... in fact in 2009 i made exactly what i made in 1986 - my peak earning year was 2002..

still have the house, bike & family

truck gone, ins gone, most of my stuff already long gone.... the rest is getting pretty worn out.

just the way it is. the grand kids are healthy - one kid is in college - one daughter in law is making a sort of living - everybody else is living off my 12k...

to

Is it to late to get the pdf sent? Thanks if you can. dad@softcom.net Have a nice day. Dick

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.

collazd - 4/13/2010 8:27 AM

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.

You would be far better off with the standard Harley-Davidson sidecar manual for your particular year. The 2010 machines are completely different in the mounts and part numbers.

Or, you can get the manual from the Harley dealer. It's P/N 99485-07.

Good luck,

collazd

ive done a 2004 sidecar on a 2007

it turns out that 2007 is a one off year

any help you need, ask

first question to you, does the bike have stock police wireing? it wont matter much

does it have a oil cooler on it

whatever you do dont mess with the engine of a police bike - they have proven to have more power than stock bikes - they are usually larger displacement but set up for maximum possible bottom end. there was a recal/update to put compression releases on recent police bikes - you will have to check to see if yours has them or should have them. i have a police air cleaner box on my ultra - it has twice the air holes that a stock bike has - yet will still keep rain off the air cleaner...

im also running a air cooling fan and a liberty raked tree & a car rear tire..

i very much like the rear car tire - but to be honest i could have put 4 factory tires on for the cost.. live and learn.

to

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.

Hi. Yes I have the stock police wiring and it also has an oil cooler. I have the brackets that come with the car. The rear mount has numerous holes in it and appears to have been a three bolter. It has a lobe and a pin on the part that goes around the swingarm. Does this make sense? thanks

ok, you REALLY need a 07 manual

do you HAVE a COMPLETE mount kit? or just the big cheap cast parts?

the 07 front lower mount is special to 07 and 08 ONLY - no chance you have the right one - the left half of the front lower mount is almost for sure OK, but the right half of the lower wont fit - no way - no how

you dont move the rear master cyl - you move the resivour for it - AND you have to have the proper pedal

are you certain the bike never had a police sidecar on it? it will save bux if it did

you need a two bolt rear mount - there is a version with a pin and a version with a bar - you need the one with a bar - its a several year part

the upper mount is the same for many years - changed in 09 and newer

to save a LOT of time - list the actual parts you got with the sidecar -

all the stock harley oil cooler adapters WILL NOT FIT

what i did was get a remote filter kit from jerry riggs off the net and mounted the filter and the cooler to the right crash bar - used the stock cooler and some clamps.

later

to'

Lucky for me the car came with all the brackets. I think it came off a 1999 FLH. My bike was bought new at the dealer. It never had a sidecar. The sidecar is a TLE Ultra Classic. It has the harness for the connections to a bike. Not too worried about the electrical, will deal with that when the time comes. Right now worried about hook up. Thanks for the great advice. I tried to present the car to the bike to get an idea and the upper mount seems ok. Can see that I have a clearance problem with the right lower connector. Where can I find the stuff to relocate the reservior and is it possible to get the left lower connector and the two hole rear connector. Greatly appreciate your willingness to help along with the expertise. Thank you very much.

collazd - 4/13/2010 9:59 AM

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.

There is a remote sleeve that slides onto your standard brake master cylinder to replace the existing master cylinder. Then there is a remote master cylinder reservoir that fits on the frame above the lower front mount.

The oil cooler is OK but you may have to remove it temporarily to install the lower front mount. I had to do that.

Then, the oil pressure sending unit is moved with a 90 degee elbow to get it out of the way.

It's all in the manual.

Good luck.

ahhh... having the brackets is having about 1/3 of the kit

rear master cyl sleeve, brake hose, remote rez & bolts [and 2007 and 2008 require a different hose and rez than prev so you will need to get the right one]

rear brake pedal - the 07 one that came on the bike wont work - have to have the proper one

90 bend to move the oil sender

i could not get the cooler adapter on - possibly it will fit - but on the 07 the filter mount is cast into the right side case and it moves it so that the older mount will NOT fit and the cooler adapter would not fit. its a 07, 08 special right lower mount

there is a rear brake t

rear lower mount

roll over switch that mounts behind the battery under the seat - that was not needed in the past on older bikes

new clutch cable that goes under the engine rather than along the right side

steering dampner and all kinds of fittings that go with it

right saddle bag latch - on a police bike i dont think you need the latch

its all special parts - they are listed in the 07 manual - and many have a 07 suffix.

the whole kit will be about 1000 to 1200 bux - price all the bits seperate it may be cheaper to get the kit

if it came off off a 1999 flh then the radio stuff wont work, but the lights will

thinking about it - a "complete" 99 kit will be missing the right lower front mount, the lower rear mount, the roll over switch and all the brake parts.

most of the parts that wont fit from a 99 are because the twin cam 96 engine uses different castings and the parts just wont clear. [yours is almost certainly a police 103]

to

Yes it is a Police 103. I think I got the info I need to get things going in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

Joyce - 3/1/2010 9:09 PM

I'm sort of having second thoughts about posting it here. One of my web guys thinks that we might run into legal issues without permission from Harley Davidson. I know that they like to sell these manuals so if emails work for everyone for the time being, I'll probably continue to chew on this for a while. Sorry.

Being there is not profit being made here or selling of anything I do not think it is a big deal.

Could I have a copy of the .pdf

iwboomer@mokancomm.net

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot

bubbaj - 6/6/2010 12:18 PM

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot

I don't think that they are available anymore from this site. Your best bet is to buy the manual on eBay. P/N 99485-(year)

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next