USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Harley hack history question.

hdrghack - 3/3/2014 5:45 PM

46U,

The Goulding factory stopped making sidecars in 1956, now....to confuse matters even more..........Goulding also made a kit for motorcycles including a body with cab called a Gouldcar I saw one a few years back at an AMCA meet it was owned by a Wisconsin dealer for years untill it was sold to the current owner

Will we know Harley made sidecars between 1956 till 1963 when the new plant opened there would be no way for Goulding to have made any for Harley these years which they did. All so being he did not come to the US till 1920 promoting his sidecar do not think he made the ones in the teens. Which leads me to believe he never did make the FACTORY Harley sidecar like I and most others believe.
Thanks
Jeff

horrorguy - 3/3/2014 5:51 PM

one of the nice things about this is there are people who have the answers . Harley has archives .gives you a nice reason to take a ride to the harley museum this summer.

I will one day but my situation right now does not permit me to. But I was there for Harley s 100th. Like I said if Goulding made the factory Harley sidecar you sure would think it would be on the Goulding web site.
Thanks
Jeff

Speaking of the museum, seems like it is harder to get information than before it opened. I used to call the guy (George?) that could pull out old production books and tell you (in some cases) the exact date an old Harley rolled off the line. Then you'd send him VIN pictures to authenticate the stamping. If everything was okay, you'd get a letter confirming at least what was pictured. I tried that again a few months ago for the '65 and didn't get even an answering machine after transferring to the museum. Newer seldom seems to be better these days.....

I called this number and for the Harley museum and got a person right away no phone menu or anything. They where very nice and helpful!
414-287-2789

And you got back to the shop? I'll certainly try again but it would have been better before I went ahead and bought it. I was running against time on that occasion. All is probably okay but you never know! U da man, 46! Gracias! - AZP

I went to a person that I thought could help set this straight........so.....I was told that, Rodgers made the sidecars untill 1914 for HD ,HD made them fron 1915 to 1935 Now in 1936 a coach company called Abresch body company in Milwaukee Wisconsin took over with the classic 36 to 65 body AND at one point also built Goulding's bodies for the Harley 45's to the 40's......AND......Goulding built the frames for Harley 45's . Abresch body and coach also made the steel body's AND the Servicar body's and......they even made the large and small steel trunks for the sidecar frames to 1965 where they went out of business. The Motor company never made any body's again until the fiberglass ones in 1966............

I did find some information during my search on Abresch body company and making bodies for Harley. Thanks for the information and I will be saving this information. I not only like riding, working on motorcycles I all so enjoy the history.
Thanks
Jeff

More about Abresch body. Tells about making bodies for Harley and Goulding.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/abresch/abresch.htm

Thanks all for the input
Jeff

Thank You Chuck, that poured down like oil...
As long it is not caster oil.
Now if somebody else comes up with confirming another doubt I had, I can even show a nose to my old man (RIP)
Sven 😉

Peter Pan - 3/3/2014 9:24 PM

Thank You Chuck, that poured down like oil...
As long it is not caster oil.
Now if somebody else comes up with confirming another doubt I had, I can even show a nose to my old man (RIP)
Sven 😉

No hard feelings here Sven.