USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Harley hack history question.

Bob my pockets are not that deep do to my situation but I will see if anyone in the Georgia Sidecar Club might have a copy I can borrow. Sure looking to see what is in black and white.
Thanks
Jeff

http://www.gouldingsidecars.com/

horrorguy - 3/3/2014 4:45 PM

http://www.gouldingsidecars.com/

This is the same site I listed a link to above. I could have over looked it but where does it say Gowlding made the Harley FACTORY sidecars???
Thanks
Jeff

I sent a email to Ron Rae grandson of Goulding who has the site we both listed up there about the question. He is all so the one that wrote The Goulding Album. Very interested to see what he has to say. I all so see where on his site that when he wrote this book some 20 years ago he did not have the information he has now.

I do know he said his grandfather built the last sidecar in 1956 but do not know if this is when James died and they keep making the Goulding sidecar after or if this is when production stop.

I know James and his daughter Dot had Harley dealer ships but looking to see if the each had one or if it is one in the same.
Thanks
Jeff

I do see on the site where James Goulding came to the US to introduce his sidecar to the American people which is some years after Harley started making their own sidecars. One thing for sure the whole family loved Harley s.

Very strange on the very nice Goulding web site I cannot find any mention of them every making the Harley Factory sidecar.
Thanks
Jeff

46u - 3/3/2014 4:51 PM

horrorguy - 3/3/2014 4:45 PM http://www.gouldingsidecars.com/

This is the same site I listed a link to above. I could have over looked it but where does it say Gowlding made the Harley FACTORY sidecars??? Thanks Jeff

Goulding never made the Harley factory sidecars ever.............They did make sidecars for Harley Davidson, Indian and other motorcycles, this being no different that Hannigan, Champion and other sidecars made as an aftermarket accessory.

The closest link that Goulding had was the marriage of Dottie Goulding to Earl Robinson Dot's father owned the dealership in Saginaw Michigan, the newly weds moved the Harley dealership to Detroit.

My mind isn't what it use to be but I "think"<- (disclaimer) the early sidecars that you see in the early teens pictures were built by a company called Rogers coach and body, I believe the HD company started making sidecars in the early to mid twenty's Photo of a twenty's sidecar being painted at the factory

Attached files

OK I got the Harley museums opinion now waiting to see what Ron has to say. As far as first year Harley had a factory sidecar all they could tell me for sure is that the factory sidecars started showing up in Harley literature in 1914. They all so told me that until they came out with the 2 speed the single speeds did not have enough torque to get a sidecar moving which was in 1911 for the first 2 speed.
Thanks
Jeff

hdrghack - 3/3/2014 5:29 PM

46u - 3/3/2014 4:51 PM

horrorguy - 3/3/2014 4:45 PM http://www.gouldingsidecars.com/

This is the same site I listed a link to above. I could have over looked it but where does it say Gowlding made the Harley FACTORY sidecars??? Thanks Jeff

Goulding never made the Harley factory sidecars ever.............They did make sidecars for Harley Davidson, Indian and other motorcycles, this being no different that Hannigan, Champion and other sidecars made as an aftermarket accessory.

The closest link that Goulding had was the marriage of Dottie Goulding to Earl Robinson  Dot's father owned the dealership in Saginaw Michigan, the newly weds moved the Harley dealership to Detroit.

My mind isn't what it use to be but I "think"<-  (disclaimer) the early sidecars that you see in the early teens pictures were built by a company called Rogers coach and body, I believe the HD company started making sidecars in the early to mid twenty's  Photo of a twenty's sidecar being painted at the factory

[/QUOTE]

What you are saying is almost word for word what they told me at the Harley museum when I called including the Rogers sidecar. I agree with you all Harley sidecars where indeed made by Harley from the first one they offered in the early teens to the last one sold in January 2011. Will lay this to rest after Ron grandson of Goulding gets back to me. To this point I other the one person here I have not found anything saying Goulding made the FACTORY Harley sidecar.
Thanks
Jeff

46U,

The Goulding factory stopped making sidecars in 1956, now....to confuse matters even more..........Goulding also made a kit for motorcycles including a body with cab called a Gouldcar I saw one a few years back at an AMCA meet it was owned by a Wisconsin dealer for years untill it was sold to the current owner

one of the nice things about this is there are people who have the answers . Harley has archives .gives you a nice reason to take a ride to the harley museum this summer.