Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Harley hack history question.

PreviousPage 3 of 3

I found this interesting off Harley s old web site.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Career_Opportunities/tomahawk.jsp

At this moment I was about to pull this last comment back again , but you had been faster.
Today my job must be boring as I pass more time in internet then writing purchase orders.
Enjoy every moment.,. its a gift 😉
Sven

Guess i should have said Goulding made some of the factory Harley sidecars,,,,,like Patsy Cline said, " i was soooo wrong" Sadly the Goulding family/company lost or threw away all the company records so the 'truth' shall be whatever Harley says it is,,,,,,funny but i don't entirely trust "The Motor Company" on such things. They are such glory/credit hogs.

warkshop - 3/4/2014 8:02 AM

Guess i should have said Goulding made some of the factory Harley sidecars,,,,,like Patsy Cline said, " i was soooo wrong" Sadly the Goulding family/company lost or threw away all the company records so the 'truth' shall be whatever Harley says it is,,,,,,funny but i don't entirely trust "The Motor Company" on such things. They are such glory/credit hogs.

Bob do you still have your Harley flat head?

yes, the '37 ULH Bobber has been 'in the shop' since last August. I wore out the top end in 3500 miles,,,nobody told me i needed to ride it like a big 2 stroke,,,,,roll off now and then to suck oil up for cylinder lube, now i know!. It is getting sleeves for the cylinders,,,and new pistons,,,again. Hope this time i can get some miles out of it. I bought it to ride and man do i love riding it. I just don't get much out of modern bikes anymore,,,,,they just work so well it is like riding a refrigerator,,,,for me. It is a curse!

I have always recommended rolling of throttle on any of the older bikes no mater the brand flat heads even more so keep in mind the ONLY oil that gets to the cylinder is the oil going up the bore. A little top end lube in the gas helps and unless you had the valve seat replaced they are not made for unleaded gas. Are you running aluminum heads?

Here is my flat head 74 I use to have and out of all the bikes I have sold this is the one I miss the most. I hate the plug wires but had to replace them right before the shoot and is all I had. I stared this bike with two wheel hubs and a gasket kit.

Outlaw Biker March 1993 photo OutLawBikerMarch1993.jpg

it does have aluminum heads and i am quite sure the valve seats were upgraded,,,would you think i should add some Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank of gas? Or what would you recommend,,,,anyone else have input. I used Mystery Oil in my old BSA and it seemed to like it.I really want to ride this bike a lot and need any helpful advice available.

Marvel Mystery Oil is all I used in my old bikes. It is easy by looking at the seats to tell if they have been changed. My flat head was my daily rider for quite a few years. Longest trip I ever took on it was from Macon, GA to Key West and back. Took me about 3 days to get there and 3 to get back but I was not in any hurry. Now on my newer bike it is nothing but a nice day ride. Did you hear about Carl? I am guessing you meant him in Lausieaian or at Daytona. He was a member of the Georgia Sidecar Club.
Jeff

Jeff,,,yes i've heard,,,,Carl went doing what he loved, likely didn't feel a thing,,,,we should all be so lucky.

Oh,,,,now the Key West trip ( which can be soooooo boring, " are we there,,,yet!?"),,,,was it more fun on the Flat Head taking 3 days one way or more fun on the 'new and improved' in one?? Be honest now.

warkshop - 3/4/2014 12:42 PM

Jeff,,,yes i've heard,,,,Carl went doing what he loved, likely didn't feel a thing,,,,we should all be so lucky.

Oh,,,,now the Key West trip ( which can be soooooo boring, " are we there,,,yet!?"),,,,was it more fun on the Flat Head taking 3 days one way or more fun on the 'new and improved' in one?? Be honest now.

We have been worried about Carl s driving for the past couple of years.

One of the reasons it took me as long to get to Key West on the old flatty is every time I stop many would be asking me about it. LOL Yes I sure do miss her and yes she was more fun to drive for the most part then my newer bike. But being my only transportation is my newer bike and with all the weather protection at my age I am better off.

A few more months and she will be tuning 100k. She will always be a hack mule. Sometime in the next couple of years going to build a low to mid torque monster motor for her when I have something else I can drive while she is down. Things are going to be getting better for me shortly so I guess I need to finish my T100C.

PreviousPage 3 of 3