Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Hannigan Trunk Latch upgrade

Just bought a Hannigan SP2 and while driving it back home from Colorado there were two times I looked over to see the trunk had popped open. A close inspection of the latch shows that the pawl is not the greatest design, and the latch itself is not a compression latch, so the whole mess is ripe for an upgrade.

Before I start the process of finding a reliable replacement latch, thought I'd ask all the Hannigan owners on here if anyone has already tackled this problem and found the perfect replacement latch. (I assume the SP2 latch is standard throughout the Hannigan line.)

If you have the latch that I need, please post up a link, or simply the make and model so that I can seek it out.

Thanks!

Have the same situation with my one year old Hannigan Super Sport.

Tried a few things but to no avail.

Currently using duct tape at the end of the bolt.

Would this guy have anything you need.

floridasidecarproducts.com

Drone, am having the same issue. So far am using a strip of velcro to hold the bolt closed, but is cheesy.

Took the rig to ACE Hardware, but they couldn't find anything in their inventory that might work. The search continues...

CCjon

Have you spoken with Hannigan? They may have a solution already or may be able to fabricate a new latch to meet your needs. I have a new SP2 and the latch is very tight. Had a Classic, same latch. So far no problems with either.

Both of my Hannigan trunk latches work ok but a friend had the same problem you are having. I took a small piece of metal and extended the hook part of the latch. I think I popriveted it to the stock part and he says it works perfectly.