Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Hannigan Sidecar on a 2020 Harley Road Glide

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello!

I am new to the forum and the sidecar world.  I recently received a service dog, and since motorcycling is such a big part of my life I wanted to bring my dog along.

I found someone locally selling a Hannigan Bandito in the classifieds, so I picked it up.  It had previously been connected to a 2001 Ultra, so obviously some work will be involved to get it to hook up to my 2020.

I sent Hannigan an email this morning hoping to be able to purchase a mounting kit for the sidecar - does anyone know if they'll sell me that?  I saw on the DMC site that they very clearly have mounting kits, but I see no such thing on the Hannigan site.

I certainly would appreciate any insight from the experts in the house 🙂  Happy to be part of this community and to learn.  I've been riding for over 20 years, but never with a sidecar!

Best, Adam.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Welcome, Adam. Glad you’re wanting to keep your service dog involved and with you to share the adventure.

Either Hannigan or DMC are going to be able to help you with subframe requirements. Check out DMCs site for general instructions for setting up your rig if you intend to set it up yourself. if you’re at all near KY and Hannigan, contact them ad be patient.  Patience is the one thing I didn’t have enough of when I started the process of getting a rig.

Given you’re new to sidecar operation, speaking from personal experience, do all you can to find a mentor.  A starting point is to know where you live and look through the list of contacts near you. Unfortunately, sidecar knowledge is somewhat arcane and FM (freaking magic) at the best of times, and very “siloed” all the time.  Once you find someone with that knowledge it should go well.

Oh, and we have something else in common.  Shriek is my twin brother.  I tell my students we were separated at birth.  My handle on Advrider is tmaximusv. 

Adam

Welcome aboard, that looks to be a fine new rig you have there. if Hannigan doesn't get back with you soon I would definitely get in touch with Jay at DMC. look forward to seeing more info as your build gets going

USCA # 8913

Hi Thane,

Thanks so much for the information!  Based on your advice I reached out to DMC and already received a response with a parts list (their customer service was great!).  I have been reading and do plan to set up the sidecar myself.  Always on the lookout for a mentor/expert - I'm about an hour south of Nashville, TN.

"Shrek" is my road name in my motorcycle club from my days in the military in the early 2000's 🙂

Best, Adam.

We’ve got another guy locally whose road name is Shrek.  It’s the first half of his last name so it works well.

seems like there are quite a few folks in your neck of the woods who were at the national rally. 

smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901

Hannigan will take care of you . They are busy and some times hard to get a hold of. You want to talk with Cory

Murray KY is not far from you

They have mounted the cars to  many Road Glides. My 2017 and 2020

If you want detailed pictures of how to mount it on a RG just ask sitting right outside the door.

Do you have the RDRS on your RG ?

Uploaded files:
Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis
Quote from smitty901 on July 12, 2021, 3:14 pm

Hannigan will take care of you . They are busy and some times hard to get a hold of. You want to talk with Cory

Murray KY is not far from you

They have mounted the cars to  many Road Glides. My 2017 and 2020

If you want detailed pictures of how to mount it on a RG just ask sitting right outside the door.

Do you have the RDRS on your RG ?

Seeing those photos sure is encouraging! I would love to see some detailed mounting photos if you wouldn’t mind! Thanks for offering. 

Yes my bike has RDRS. Does that affect the sidecar situation?

Best, Adam. 

In this case RDRS is a good thing . You will not need to make any changes for the sidecar to The ECM or BCM.

Your Car is a 2001. The HD frame in 2001 Is totally different than the 2020.  So mounts will be different.

I will get mount pictures posted for you. Done right your new Rig will work out very well for you

This link will take you to the pictures . You can copy them if you wish. This sight will not allow uploading files this large

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWbBvEJ

It looks like the top rear mount would be a pain for the passenger. I'am surprise Hannigan didn't come up with a cleaner set up. 

It works just fine. Same as the last one was and no complaints after 40,000 miles. Only changes mad on the new one was I ask them to move car 1 inch closer to bike. That was so it was not as tight a fit on the trailer

Quote from smitty901 on July 12, 2021, 3:41 pm

In this case RDRS is a good thing . You will not need to make any changes for the sidecar to The ECM or BCM.

Your Car is a 2001. The HD frame in 2001 Is totally different than the 2020.  So mounts will be different.

I will get mount pictures posted for you. Done right your new Rig will work out very well for you

This link will take you to the pictures . You can copy them if you wish. This sight will not allow uploading files this large

These photos are awesome, thanks for sending them along!  I spoke to Cory @ Hannigan and ordered everything.  Unfortunately there's a 6-8 week lead time, but better not to rush it.  Ordered the bike mounting hardware, new connecting rods (there were some changes from 2001 to 2020), the brake QD and electrical connectors.  Cory mentioned you, Smitty901, when it came to the RDRS thing.  

Thanks for the help and advice.  Looking forward to getting it all put together!

Best, Adam.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis
Quote from shreksbrother on July 13, 2021, 1:54 pm
Quote from smitty901 on July 12, 2021, 3:41 pm

These photos are awesome, thanks for sending them along!  I spoke to Cory @ Hannigan and ordered everything.  Unfortunately there's a 6-8 week lead time, but better not to rush it.  Ordered the bike mounting hardware, new connecting rods (there were some changes from 2001 to 2020), the brake QD and electrical connectors.  Cory mentioned you, Smitty901, when it came to the RDRS thing.  

Thanks for the help and advice.  Looking forward to getting it all put together!

Best, Adam.

I have spent some cash with Hannigan. Will  also add DMC is a outstanding company also . The RDRS will give you no issues.

It does pay to have a full understanding of what it does and what you can and can not control.

Any help I can be just ask. I had already done the home work on RDRS. And we darn sure put it to the test. the one you purchased was on my radar. Keep in mind if that is an old tire and mostly is you should change it. No madder how good it looks. I am betting that sidecar saw little use. Wheel bearing should be looked at and flush brake system.   If I remember right 2001 HD was using DOT5 your bike is DOT4 they can not be mixed. The flush must be complete .

Our current one will be in Clarksville TN Sept 23-24. A Road Glide forum we belong to has an annual ride coming up Clarksville is were we stay every year and ride a few days here and there.

Making some progress… took the body off the frame and painted it. Still another 4+ weeks for the mounting brackets. 

wish I could get lucky and score some used. 

Uploaded files:
AceinSav and smitty901 have reacted to this post.
AceinSavsmitty901

very nice looking paint job. looking forward to seeing more as it goes together 

I just tore my new to me sidecar down this morning to get it ready for fresh paint. looks like we are in the same boat as far as waiting for mounting hardware. I'm holding on a sub frame at the moment 

shreksbrother has reacted to this post.
shreksbrother
USCA # 8913
Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 1:43 pm

Making some progress… took the body off the frame and painted it. Still another 4+ weeks for the mounting brackets. 

Looks great. The wait will be worth it.  Take your time when mounting it. Do thing as they should be done. Ignore any ideas of doing it another way. You will likely need a few minor adjustments after  it is done.

Do not use bards to align the TOE. Good luck

Thane Lewis and shreksbrother have reacted to this post.
Thane Lewisshreksbrother
Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 3:03 pm
Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 1:43 pm

Looks great. The wait will be worth it.  Take your time when mounting it. Do thing as they should be done. Ignore any ideas of doing it another way. You will likely need a few minor adjustments after  it is done.

Do not use bards to align the TOE. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve started reading on mating the bike and sidecar… I want it to be perfect for safety and reliability, so it’ll be measured often for sure. 

Just finished a change I had planned on mine  Car tire on the Bike rear..

https://sidecar.com/forum/topic/180-55b18-to-a-car-tire/#postid-83015

Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 6:01 pm

Cool project. I ran a dark side tire on my last bike (Victory Vision without sidecar) and it was great to ride. May look into doing this, although I wish I didn’t need a new rear wheel to do so. 

Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 7:54 pm
Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 6:01 pm

Cool project. I ran a dark side tire on my last bike (Victory Vision without sidecar) and it was great to ride. May look into doing this, although I wish I didn’t need a new rear wheel to do so. 

With the 18 inch wheel there is no other way. I look at it like this should I wish to take the sidecar off for a bit .  20 minutes it is off and I have a wheel and tire ready to roll.

The 2020 RGL  is fine with the sidecar with stock tire and wheel. Just car tire is better.

next project is to install Stealth fairing support to get rid of the Supports from engine guards to fairing..

Page 1 of 2Next