Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Hannigan Sidecar AC

Does anyone have instructions on how to install the AC in a Hannigan Astro sidecar. Spoke to manuafacture and was told no manual. Company indicated they would help via phone to istall but wanted to know if anyone has installed and have instructions that can be followed.

Thank you

I've got the AC in my GTL but it was factory installed. It looks like a pretty straightforward installation although, I'm not sure about the switch wiring as we had to rewire it to get the pump to work.

Thank you

Installed one in our Astro 2+2, not factory.. but homebuilt. Works great.. I used a cooler and Rule marine pump and an A/C under dash evaporator (3 speed) from Ebay. All plumbing tubing came from lawn irrigation section at Home Depot. Wired it to existing fan wiring unit in sidecar. Tried to post pics but ipad acting up. Not to bad of a project.

Hoping this will work....no luck....

A/C got some photos to cross over...…..and a BIG THANK YOU to Butch Turner, whom I met last year at the Arkansas Razorback Rally for showing and explaining his set-up in his rig. His set-up was my guideline. Thanks Butch this thing is a Godsend in thre Florida weather..the wife and Grankids Thank You !

Attached files

Where did you find the quick disconnects for the pipes/hoses on the ice chest. Where did you acquire the dash vent with the blower? Incidently - this setup looks a lot like the AC setups for light aircraft but doesn't require an FAA approval.

OOPPS! I guess if I had backed up in the posts I could have gotten most of my questions answered. I still would like to know where the blower/dash unit came from.

That's equivalent to the "factory" unit in my GTL. But, I'll bet it was a lot cheaper, lol. The wife tells me the AC works great.

The under dash evaporator came from Ebay The seller is in Florida still has items on eBay I got the A/C connectors (two) from the local auto air cond. shop $10. The evap unit costs approx $85. The Home Depot irrigation and tubing amen to approximately$125. So, for a little over $200 the passengers who ride in the sidecar are very comfortable here in Florida. Tokyo awhile to install but not that bad. I made a bracket to hold the under dash unit from aluminum I had using the hinged sidecar top hinges with longer ny-lock nuts. Worth every penny.

Attached files

I assume the evaporator works like a swamp cooler as opposed to Hannigan's factory unit that uses a closed system akin to an AC. In Hannigan's, water is pumped from the cooler forward to the fan unit that houses condenser coils and then returns to the cooler. Essentially, cold water replaces the freon that would normally be used. On our latest run, we were able to test the unit in 100 degree desert weather. We found that a block of ice lasts much longer than ice cubes while not compromising the cooling effect.

Yes, works like Swamp Cooler. I have a chest freezer in the garage and I keep it stocked with various size plastic jugs and containers for block ice . on the road bagged ice cubes work fine but don't last as long . But, if the wife is comfy I can ride.

thank you

I have found a lot of unique fittings like quick connects at this site:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23885

Hello Old School, yes I have used that site also. I have a Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird that I fiited with nsome of their quick connects for the fuel lines for easy gas tank removal . Also did the same on a VFR that I recently sold . Good site and the prices are good also.

bentleyssq - 6/23/2018 9:56 AM

Yes, works like Swamp Cooler. I have a chest freezer in the garage and I keep it stocked with various size plastic jugs and containers for block ice . on the road bagged ice cubes work fine but don't last as long . But, if the wife is comfy I can ride.

We plan to do that as well. But, we ride long distance so we're hoping we can find a reliable chain store source of block ice on the road.

Has anyone tried a system like the veskimo? http://www.veskimo.com/personal-cooling-system-9quart.html seems to be the same theory being discussed here but the water is pumped to a vest with tubes in it that is worn on or close to the skin. The vest can be purchased by itself if there is room for a larger ice storage on the hack.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.