USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HANNIGAN GTL sidecar

I am looking at getting a HANNIGAN side car for my 1800. Does any one have one an what are the pro's con's? Also I have not seen anything on how the kids like to ride in one? Any help would be appricated. 😉

I have the Astro Sport on my VTX1300. If you haul many passengers, I would recommend the 2 seater. I haven't ridden in it, but they look cool. 🙂
g

I've had a GTL on my 1800 for the last five years. Wife loves it and the grandkids think it's great to ride in. It's got a ton of storage space and the 1800 pulls it with no problem. Downside... None really. It's wide, but that's never given me a problem. Small children may find it difficult to see out.

i have a Hannigan super sport on a gl1500. mrs fly prefers the bucket seat over the bench seat in the wider models.
fly

I've got 30,000+ miles on my '07 GL1800/GTL rig and love it. It's the only way I can get my bride to travel with me. Won't ride in my other rig & certainly won't ride pillion. She rides snug under her roof with her laptop or book while I enjoy the rain. I took this rig cross country 3 years ago to the USCA Lake Tahoe rally with nary an issue. Good handling, lots of power, comfortable for both, loads of luggage space. You can't go wrong with this if you want a BIG touring rig.

Jack

I have heard some say it gets very hot, have you have any issues or did you get there AC unit?

My wife says it gets a little warm at times but never very hot. She usually rides with the roof on and side curtains off. Says the power vents work very well. No AC. I imagine I'm hotter on the bike.

The bride has been riding in our GTL for over 45K miles. We have the "open cockpit" option on ours and she has never complained about it being hot. She loves HER sidecar. Like Jack H says, "you can't go wrong with this if you want a BIG touring rig".

By all means the Hannigan GTL is a great sidecar for the GL1800. In fact the GL1800 is one great sidecar puller!! You can mount a car tire on the stock rear wheel with no sweat and it will wear for along long time. Steering isn't too awful bad stock but I would bet you would liek a triple tree conversion a lot.

Another excellent choice if you are planning to get a new Hannigan is their SP-2. It is slightly smaller than the GTL but interior wise is very close.

By all means get the 'OPEN CONCEPT' option if you choose a Hannigan that does not come with it as standard. In a nutshell what this means is that the sidecar has removable side windows which is nice.

Hannigan does offer an air conditioner.It is a evaporative type that you put ice in. Very effective as long as you keep ice in it 🙂

We had a 1800/GTL for a couple of years and it was great. It was sold as when Dave Keesee relocated to Pa. we felt we should have a sidecar for the business that reflected more what we do in house as Dave's outfit would be a good example to customers of what Hannigan does. (Dave was the main sidecar guy at Hannigan for close to eight years.) I do miss the GTL outfit but also love the dual sport rig we have now for the business. Totally different worlds as jack mentioned.

I too just ordered a Classic and am getting it installede at the factory in August. Nice people there, no need to put up with a rude salesman, I belive I would have had to leave if one made my wife cry. In my younger days I'd have punched him in the nose. Hope it all turns out well for you!