USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Hannigan 2+2

When you say that your wife would not ride it in the summer without the window modification, is that with or without the top? How is the air flow with the regular windshield and the top off?

She will not ride with top off due to skin cancers, however, unless you have side windows the only air you will get is the hot air off pavement through the vent or recirculated air from the dash blower. In our experience it is cooler with top on, have you ever been in an open convertible in the hot sun? BTW the window mod is easy!

Thanks.

When I was rebuilding my 2+2 I put a hood scoop on the front. It made a big difference, the air comes in the scoop and goes out the top.

Attached files

taco - 4/1/2017 8:10 AM

When I was rebuilding my 2+2 I put a hood scoop on the front. It made a big difference, the air comes in the scoop and goes out the top.

Excellent idea!

wanley - 3/29/2017 11:32 AM
... I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one because of the heat here. I am afraid the passenger(s) will roast in traffic.
Anybody has one around south...

A passenger in most any sidecar will be hot when sitting still in the sun in the Southeast USA. A couple of things we've found that help are a sheepskin cover/pad on the seat and wearing a long sleeves "for shade" - such as a light weight mesh riding jacket or a light weight wicking "fishing shirt."

A local fellow with an Astro found that a couple of Pop Vents yielded a great improvement in ventilation when moving - as attested by his passengers, such as these: https://bikescreen.com/collections/accessories/products/pop-vents:

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

What kind of damper do you use, is it water tight and cold air tight? I really like the looks of it, with a few more wheels could be an indy car! It could also be used to blow up a skirt!!!! 😉

You can still get the vetter pop vents online for just a few bucks. I used them in my r1100/astro sport rig. I made the windows much larger on the 2+2 and found we did not need them.

I cut a 4 inch hole in the sidecar, placed a 4 inch PVC fitting cut down to the treads in the hole with epoxy. I then fiber glassed a hood scoop on. When the PVC plug is screwed in it is water and wind tight

Attached files

Great idea!