Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Hack harness

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to make or where to get a dog harness for a Ural hack? No seat belt available. Lori

A universal seat belt from most any parts house will give you the anchoring point and several pet shops (on line , or other) have harnesses that will atach to it.

Lonnie

Universal seatbelt! What a great idea. most people put an eye bolt either in the floor or under the seat. Would rather not do that. Thanks for the tip. Lori

Hi Lori: I have removed the seat in my sidecar and with a sheet of plywood made a "subfloor" which is secured by the seat bolts in my Texas sidecar. I anchored the chain for Maddie's harness to the plywood, so no hole in floor. I covered the plywood with trunk carpet, but, since the Sportster vibrates so much, have now added one of those walk-on cushion pads for shop use with a hole for the chain to pass thru .

I see DRONE has similar approach here (with pics): http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9703&posts=7&start=1

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

That's a good idea, however, can the dog see out?

Of course, that depends on the dog and the car. If you go to the post linked above, you'll note that I was replying to a guy about how to fit a Great Dane in the hack. His problem was NOT sight lines for his dog! For a smaller dog, you could always go with the plywood sub-floor, and make the supports under the plywood taller to suit the dog. On my hack, my dog always lies down as soon as we get moving, then he sticks his head out the side just behind the windscreen. Here's a pic of him sitting in my hack. He has no problem seeing out!

Photobucket

It's hard for me to get a pic of him in his "normal" position because he always sits up and watches me whenever I get off the bike to take a pic!

lorij7 - 9/21/2011 12:08 PM

That's a good idea, however, can the dog see out?

Yep, Lori, it depends on the size of the dog. Here's a fuzzy cell-phone pic of our rigs with the dogs. Little Corkie is standing the seat of Jena's white rig, and Maddie is sitting on the floor of my black/orange rig (if you can see her). Compare below to the little pic to the left, which is Maddie sitting in the passenger seat.

Corkie generally settles down in the seat or floor, but Maddie always sits or stands, and has yet to lay down in the floor.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Great Picture. I'll share the idea w/the hubby.