Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Guzzi Sidecar tires?

Eventually my stock Guzzi Metzelers will wear out. I am also considering a leading link front end which will dedicate the bike to sidecar use. I would like to replace the tires with the flat tread sidecar style tires. Who distributes these in the US?

When you emailed me and asked this I had assumed that as you have an EML sidecar you had the entire EML kit which includes replacement wheels for automotive tires.
There are very few tires that will work on bike rims. Your stone could run the Metzler block K which comes in one size only 4.00 18. It is a tube tire and only rated at 80 MPH so it might not be a good choice.
As I am asked about tires all the time I will included some additional information.
The only other sidecar specific tires made by a Motorcycle tire company are Avon sidecar triple duty in a 3.50 19
We carry an automotive tire that fits on narrow 16 inch wheels such as what Harley runs in a 125 90 or 85 VR 16
In the 15 inch size while on the surface you might think that you could run a car tire on a 15 inch motorcycle rim this is not usualy a good idea unless you modify the wheel as 15 inch motorcycle rims are about 1/4 of an inch larger diameter then automotive rims. For the narrow automotive tires in the 15 inch size you can go to Coker tire 1-800-251-6336 This is where you could buy tires if you Guzzi had the EML rims. Coker also sells antique car tires that will fit on some motorcycle wheels however it has been my experiance that these really do not work out all that well. They may have been a good alternitive at one time but motorcycle tires have imporved greatly in the last 20 years or while the antique car tires have not.
What some people will do on the front is to run a rear tire mounted backwards. I have had good luck with this set up.
These are but a few of the things people have done.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com

Thanks for the suggestions Jay. I'll see what kind of mileage I get from the stock tires as the sidecar was mounted with 800 miles on the original rubber. Maybe I'll look into a hard compound heavy duty motorcycle tire when I change them out.