Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Guzzi alternator output

I have a 2004 Moto Guzzi California Stone with a Ural sidecar which is wired for 2 headlights, camber control and a couple of extra horns. I have not been able to find Alternator output for this bike. My question, is the Guzzi alternator capable of charging a car battery? Hopefully it will never have to charge a completely dead battery. I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks

The size of the battery does not matter, think of it as a storage tank for electricity. A car battery is larger and as such simply takes longer to fill. No idea what the Stone's charging system puts out as it is plenty adequate. The Camber control is only used briefly so it does not make much difference. The two headlights are on all the time but if standard bulbs are used only draw 110 watts of power. Your charging system can handle this and even electric heated riding gear (at least my old EV could which is pretty much the same bike)
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay thanks for your response. I think it is a bike you folks built some time ago. It originally went to Houston. It has bike and sidecar subframes, camber control and hydraulic disc brake. It also has a leading link fork. Not a Unit so that also might be yours. Jet black bike and Ural. Very good looking and a very sweet ride. I have built 5 and been happy with all of them but never could have afforded to built this one. I am really going to enjoy this ride.

Pictures please......

I am not sure if this will apply to a California Stone, but I once had a 1974 Guzzi Eldorado 850 that I replaced the original generator with one from a car, I believe it was from a Fiat, or maybe VW. It was over 40 years ago, my memory is not so good.