Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

GRIFFITH PARK SIDECAR RALLY October 23, 2016

For those of you who are familiar with the renown Doug Bingham Griffith Park SideCar Rally, there will be another this year, but with some significant changes. Many of you are aware that Doug Bingham has passed away, so this Rally, while the 45th Annual is also the 1st Annual Doug Bingham Memorial Rally. The Griffith Park location has changed, and the new location will be at the William S. Hart Park in Newhall, CA. On October 23, 2016. I have never been to this park, so all I can tell you is what I googled - There is a museum on the grounds, and the address is 24151 Newhall Avenue, Newhall, CA 91321.. Side Strider Inc has a FaceBook page. There may be updates posted there.

This just in from Mike Smith, Co-Chairman SoCal Sidecar Club:

Doug Bingham started his Sidecar Rally back in 1971 at the Mineral Wells picnic area in Griffith Park. The Rally was so successful Doug kept it going for 44 years. During those years it grew into the largest gathering of sidecars in the country. Everybody in the sidecaring community marked there calendar’s for the third weekend in October, it was the event of the year, nobody missed it. We need to keep the Sidecar Rally and the legend of Doug Bingham alive.

Here is our proposal:

We have rented campground #1 & #2 at William S. Hart Park in Newhall California for October 22nd & 23rd, 2016. For many years Doug's Rally was a two day affair, camping on Saturday night, the Rally on Sunday. We're going to offer camping on Saturday in campground #2, reserving campground #1 for the Rally on Sunday.

Here's what you need to know:

The cost will be $10.00 for anybody displaying a sidecar rig on Sunday.

Both campgrounds will be open from noon on Saturday until 4 pm on Sunday. Campgrounds have shade trees, picnic tables, water, restroom facility and BBQ pits. Tent camping only (motorcycle tent trailers well be excepted as long as they have no bath room or waste involved), no motor homes, trailers or truck campers The main gates to Hart Park are open from sun-up to sun-down. If you need to exit the park after hours the gate nearest the office can be activated from the inside only. It's a pressure sensitive type activation, you'll need a heavy vehicle to activated the gate (I would think a big sidecar rig should be enough). If your outside and need in, you'll need to call someone in the campground with a big rig to trip the gate for you. We could not secure a food truck for this year’s Rally so please come prepared, there are plenty of fast food and restaurants in the area, your chose.

For those camping you need to arrive after noon on Saturday. For those attending on Sunday only you can arrive any time after sun-up. We do need to be cleaned up and out of the park by 4 pm Sunday, so please make arrangements to be packed an on your way by that time.

This will be our first time hosting the Rally, so please join us for what will most certainly be a great time and a great tribute to Doug Bingham.

Mike Smith Co-Chairman SoCal Sidecar Club

Attached files

I am planning on being there again this year.

Hopefully I will be done with the transmission and such on the K100/EML rig and I will ride it out again. If I am not done with the K bike then I guess it will be the GS rig, don't have enough time to ride the Ural.

Great! Safe riding. 🙂

Mike ,i am coping and pasting the info at the USCA facebook page . Thanks ,Jerry Blakey USCA NJ Rep and USCA facebook guy