Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

GPS Tracking

Does anyone have a GPS racking device ON their rig?

My wife was concerned last fall when I went on a ride one Sunday afternoon and was gone for hours. I agree, I'd like her to track where I am and have looked into fleet GPS units but they charge a monthly fee at minimum of $20.00. My phone coverage is not so good when I travel back roads so that is a mute point. Frankly, I don't mind that she wants a GPS tracker on me...it warms my heart. 🙂

Does anyone know of a motorcycle specific tracker?

Thanks. Tom

Seems to me that perhaps the best way for her to keep track of you would be to go with you. Yep, I know. My wife doesn't go either... lollll

That's a good idea Tom! My wife doesn't ride with me either but that's okay because She doesn't object to the thousands of miles that I ride annually!

My wife rides occasionally but I ride every weekend when the Wx permits so I am by myself a lot.

I also ride to work in the summer and fight Washington, DC traffic so this would enable her to see that I got to work safely. Although, I'm pretty good about texting her when I arrive at work.
Tom

Tom, I have not heard of any free gps tracking devices. The SPOT is great for family and friends to keep track of a rider, and it can be set up for auto-sending your tracks. It is the best out there for calling for help if you need it too. Most long distance riders carry one.

You mentioned spotty cell phone coverage, too bad as there are several free and low cost apps that do what you are wanting.

CCjon - 1/15/2015 8:16 PM
... The SPOT is great for family and friends to keep track of a rider, and it can be set up for auto-sending your tracks. It is the best out there for calling for help if you need it too. Most long distance riders carry one.

You mentioned spotty cell phone coverage, too bad as there are several free and low cost apps that do what you are wanting.

I have several friends who use the SPOT. And other friend have told me about Find My Phone apps. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either of them.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Spot is a good tool. can be a little pricey for all the services. I own it and used the basic service on a trip to the Upper Peninsula a few years back. Worked great but I had to manually send each time we stopped to list of followers. We linked it to facebook so friends and family could follow. The automatic service could send every 10 min or so, I think.
Good peace of mind tool.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

SpotWalla is a free service that the Spot and other devices can use.

https://spotwalla.com/index.php

Follow up:
I decided to try a free phone app . I figured the spotty reception I sometimes have while riding may not be a big deal. I downloaded Life360 {https://www.life360.com/} from iTunes for free and am testing it. I will let you know what I decide.
It also has several other features, one of which is it will track anyone you add to your group. One drawback I see is it will constantly use the GPS on your phone (battery drain) or you need to turn on the GPS every time you want to track.
Thanks.
Tom

I use an app called WAZE which not only reports telemetry back to your selected loved ones, it also plans routes, alerts you to accidents & road conditions (rerouting on the fly if need be) and can even pull in gas pricing data. It uses voice alerts (language and even accent selectable) and can even respond to voice commands letting you keep your hands on the bars. It's all based on crowd-sourced data.

Similar to Life360, it's free, GPS and internet dependent and yes, a battery hog.

Downside is the routing algorithms are based on fastest and/or shortest, which is rarely a desirable feature when atop a saddle!