Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Good BMW for hack rig

I'm interested in buying or putting together an old airhead BMW with a side car. What old R series bikes make good choices? Also what is a good side care choice for the bike? I want it to look like the old WW2 bikes. Will a 600 CC do the trick? Thanks, (new to the hack world!) Mark

Originally written by Mark on 4/6/2006 10:38 PM

....Will a 600 CC do the trick? Thanks, (new to the hack world!) Mark

Mark,

It depends on your personal expectation and need! As a general rule:

Short trips to the shopping mall = YES
Medium distance travel with passenger = NO
Cross Country travel...to a rally = NO

However, I know of riders who have been quite happy pulling a relatively heavy sidecar with bikes such as the BMW R75!! Would BMW R90s or R100s (1970s bikes??) be enough? Yes. They should!
I currently pull an EML Tour T (about 210 pounds) with an 83 Honda GL1100 (supposedly one of the best, older bike to pull a sidecar). I would be very unhappy with ANYTHING less powerful and torquey than the GL1100 engine!! Try to search this database for similar subject posts as we have discussed this issue..a few times.

Good luck with your project

Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, Minnesota

I run a '75 R90/6 with Jupiter car. Works OK using a subframe, modified steerer, progressive front springs, GL1000 prorgressive rear springs, and a r75 rear end. You want military look and better performance? I'd look for a /2 with a 900 or 1000cc motor. Add a ural car and you've got what you're looking for.

Maybe a full ural rig and swap the motor for a BMW mill? Talk to Wagners in Arkansas. http://www.wagnerscycle.com

Good Luck!

Repowered /2 with Dnepr to look military (Salty rig) or URAL ($$) to look pretty would be a good choice. You could use the extra bucks saved on using the Dnepr for driveline upgrades on the /2.

Lonnie