Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Goldwing Alternator upgrade?

Planning for the future here. My '98 GW 1500 is charging fine now with what I assume is the stock alternator. However I have become spoiled by the almost double output of my '06 1800. Heated grips, seat and any gear I want to plug in.

What would be a recommendation to get me more than the 550 watts the book says I have now?

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

It has been a while since I have looked into this, but there use to be two companies that offered a larger capacity alternator, one took rebuilt units and changed the face plate so that it would fit the bike. Not sure what the other company did. Only down side is a slight vibration at idle. The stock unit I found puts out enough power however was a bit less then reliable as the brushes would stick. Drove home a couple thousand miles once with out a charging system. I bought a car battery and a battery charger. Put the car battery in the saddle bag and charged it every night. You do what you have to do. You might want to post this question on a Goldwing forum.  I have not ran a GL1500 in years. ( I do have over 400K on Goldwing's with sidecars)

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I have posted it on a GW forum. I'm using the shotgun approach figuring that there will be one guy out there with the exact answer.

I remember the aftermarket alternators from back in the day "Compufire" being one. I just don't remember which one was junk.

I could always have the hack moved to my 1800 to get more juice but I figured I would try a replacement alternator first... LOL

Thanks for the reply...

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Another route, lower your power demands. LED lights draw less. Even running heated gear, I never ran out of power on a GL1500

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

compufire is the top of the line but most say it is important to go to AGM battery as the compufire will cook a regular lead acid battery in short time

I am running a DB electrical right now, I think it is a 95 amp. it is a tight fit but it will go in there.

it is far better than the original alternator. I agree about converting what you can to LED

my complete sidecar has been converted to all LED, I am slowly converting the bike also, so far all my front driving light and dash lights are LED

still not sure about the headlights yet

USCA # 8913

I use compufire + group 51 automotive battery in the box on frame between bike and sidecar. works good for me for 9 years now.  1st battery last 7 years.