Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

GL1800 Rear tire on the front?

I've heard folks have gotten better milage using a rear vs. standard front tire up front.

Any thoughts on that? I've only gotten about 5,000 miles on this Dunlop D250F and it's about shot.

5K sounds about right for a rear tire. A front tire should be getting way over that. There must be an alignment problem or something wearing out a front tire that quick.

Lonnie

5K is about right for a stock front tire with a GL1800 rig. The rear may go 3 to 5K and need replacement too.

I use a BT45 rear tire in 140/70-18 on the front and get very good wear at 40PSI.

The rear tires have deeper tread and generaly are harder rubber which is why many if not most Trike and Sidecar folks use them. Along with that you need to consider the actual weight on the front tire and select one that has a GVWR over what you measure on a scale thus my use of a 140/70.

I use a local Sand & Gravel supply to get actual weights at each wheel with the rig loaded which is why I chose the front tire I did. The same goes with the rear tire and again the OEM tire has it's GVWR exceded and is yet another reason to use a 195/50 or 195/55 car tire back there.
I prefer a 195/50 on the rear to reduce the gearing a little but the 195/55 works well too. The 205/55 is a little hard to get in there and may rub a hole through the Inner Fender if you don't tie it back against the frame on the sides.

If you go to the 1800 forums, the "hot ticket" is a rear tire from a 1500, run in reverse direction on the front. (the 1500 rear is about the same size as an 1800 front, but with rear tire tread depth, etc. I did it on mine maybe 12000 miles ago, front tire shows no wear. I run a car tire on the rear. I think this is what Jerry said (?).

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of e-mailing you on this, Greg, as I know you have the same rig as I do. Once my "Outfitter" rig is done, I'll have a VStrom set up, too.

I'm running a Michelin Pilot Active rear tire on the front. I can't speak to mileage as I've only had it on the rig for about 1500 miles, but that tire in combination with an EZ-Steer triple tree really makes steering the outfit a breeze.

Thanks, Bud. Did you just get the EZ Steer? I think it was you who was going to check my rig out at the Duluth rally but we never got a chance to do so.

Jack (with the dirty GW/GTL)

I had the EZ-Steer installed at the same time that the sidecar was mated to the bike, about a year ago. I installed the new rubber early this month. Sorry, but you are thinking of someone else as I was unable to be at Duluth for the rally.

JerryR -

Does the 140/70 R18 fit the front of your 1800 without modifying the fender. I've heard some say that the biggest that will fit is a 130. I like your thinking re weight on a sidecar rig.

The 140/70R18 in BT45 fits just fine with about 1/4" clearance or more at the tightest places. The only thing I have noticed with the 140/70 is an occasional rattle when a rock goes through while on gravel roads.

The only problem I have had with clearance is when using Avon Dual Purpose tires in 120/80-18 like the AM24 which had to be ground somewhat flat to get clearance.
This winter I am going to run an Avon AM44 Distanzia which may also need to be ground down a little which also lets me square off the cross section for better traction in the SNOW.
The way I grind down my winter Knobbies or Dual Purpose tires is to put the wheel in a truing stand and use my Angle Grinder with a 40 grit sanding disk on it and gently let the grinder rotate the wheel/tire while taking a little rubber off. Just another "Jerry Rig" to get a flat section front tire inside the stock fender. 😉

Thanks Jerry. That's the tire I ordered. Should sure beat the 5K or so I've gotten with the last front tire.