Notifications
Clear all

GL1500 modified steering and fork extenders

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

So while at the Sidecars in the Smokies Rally I was talking with Pete, ( Pete if you read this please chime in) we were discussing

putting the fork tube extenders on when adding the modified tree. I told him I was told if I had progressive springs not to use them

the reason was that the progressive springs will raise the front higher than the stock so I didn't need the ext. Pete said yes but they don't raise it much. what Pete said had merit but we got onto other subjects before I had a chance to question it more. what I know is it takes all I have to get the caps back on the top of the fork tubes, thus preloading the springs as is now. the springs only stick up out of the forks about an inch when the bike is raised and the caps are off, the fork extenders are 2 inches tall, so if I add them now I have 1 inch of gap before the springs hit the cap and begin loading in the forks

won't I loose any height I gain by adding them in this loss of preload. I do however see one real advantage and due to this I'm going to put them on and see for myself and that is a softer ride in normal riding as the preload is not so hard in a resting position like it is now

If you have experience with this tell us your findings. I'm going to update this as I hope to do it this weekend.

Posted : May 2, 2019 9:43 am
 VLAD
(@vlad)

When I replace tree on my 1500 i use  progressive springs only. Did not use extensions. 

Keep an eye on your rear wheel.  Several people (including me) did not do it after tree change and went for long ride. After 500 miles my rear tire look like someone shave right side of it looking from the rear.

Some people use PVC pipes to cut a filler for front fork tubes. I newer did it myself, but know someone who did it. He saying it works.

Posted : May 2, 2019 11:29 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

OK so now I feel a bit foolish, I should have looked at the fork extenders before I posted. now I see how they are used to raise the front to get back what you loose with the modified tree. I decided to wait about installing them as I didn't want to fight those springs again right now.

Posted : May 6, 2019 2:28 am
 Bone
(@Bone)

Quote from AJ1200 on May 6, 2019, 7:28 am

OK so now I feel a bit foolish, I should have looked at the fork extenders before I posted. now I see how they are used to raise the front to get back what you loose with the modified tree. I decided to wait about installing them as I didn't want to fight those springs again right now.

I have the 6 degree triple trees on my 1994 gl1500 along with the fork tubes 2 inches longer and am using the progressive springs. Mine came with 2 inch spacers that are added to the top of the springs. If you add 2 inch extensions to your tubes you must add 2  inch spacers as well. If you don't then what is going to take up that additional space. Without the spacers you are going to have a mess. Also if you add 2 inches to the tubes you will need to add about 30cc more oil to each tube.

Posted : May 8, 2019 5:41 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

Quote from Bone on May 8, 2019, 10:41 am

I have the 6 degree triple trees on my 1994 gl1500 along with the fork tubes 2 inches longer and am using the progressive springs. Mine came with 2 inch spacers that are added to the top of the springs. If you add 2 inch extensions to your tubes you must add 2  inch spacers as well. If you don't then what is going to take up that additional space. Without the spacers you are going to have a mess. Also if you add 2 inches to the tubes you will need to add about 30cc more oil to each tube.

Bone

that is what I thought too, until I actually looked at my extenders, mine are not hollow tubes, it is a solid plug with a recess for the spring to sit in (just to help hold it still while installing it) that is threaded so it can be screwed into the forks. it has a small hole drilled so you can still use the air valves if needed and comes with plugs for the other side of the hole if you don't have air fittings

so in  essence these extenders are like a 2 " cap. that's why I decided to wait, it is a bear getting that cap back on with the progressive springs in there

Posted : May 8, 2019 7:22 am
 Bone
(@Bone)

Quote from AJ1200 on May 8, 2019, 12:22 pm
Quote from Bone on May 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Bone

that is what I thought too, until I actually looked at my extenders, mine are not hollow tubes, it is a solid plug with a recess for the spring to sit in (just to help hold it still while installing it) that is threaded so it can be screwed into the forks. it has a small hole drilled so you can still use the air valves if needed and comes with plugs for the other side of the hole if you don't have air fittings

so in  essence these extenders are like a 2 " cap. that's why I decided to wait, it is a bear getting that cap back on with the progressive springs in there

that sounds good AJ. You are using the stock tubes with a 2 inch extension that has the spacer all in one. way cool. My side car came from CSC and it had the complete 2 inch longer tubes. No extensions. It had the 2 inch spacer with the small hole in it but it was seperate and it was a double bitch when I removed the stock tubes and installed the progressive. I had to make a tool to hold everything in line..... grrrrrr, grrrrrr. hahaha

Posted : May 8, 2019 3:43 pm
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

yeah that is why I'm not looking forward to adding these extenders bad enough fighting the spring but now I have to do it with the new extender 2 inches past the socket and keep in even while getting the threads started. I man handled it all 3 times I have done it till now, but I think I may build that helping tool this time. I'm going to post before and after pictures showing the difference in height on the front. I know I lost some with the mod tree because now I have to use a block of wood to get my oil drain pan under it

Posted : May 9, 2019 3:04 am
 VLAD
(@vlad)

Were did you find this fork extenders?

Posted : May 10, 2019 4:06 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

Vlad

they came with the tree I bought. if you are interested I will PM you info on who to contact about them

Posted : May 10, 2019 4:13 am
(@big-tom)

How hard is this job to do?  I will  be looking to do it or have it done in the future on my '98 GW.

This Video for the 1800 shows the extensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1mj-LKNwg

Posted : May 12, 2019 4:22 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

Quote from Big Tom on May 12, 2019, 9:22 am

How hard is this job to do?  I will  be looking to do it or have it done in the future on my '98 GW.

Tom

replacing the tree can be a rather large job, but if you are a decent mechanic and do most of your own work it isn't terrible

there are videos and tutorials about replacing your head bearings, that is what I used to do mine. I didn't have the correct socket for the nut so I had to sort of guess at the torque when I put it back, but I am a 35+ year mechanic so I felt comfortable doing that.

Posted : May 13, 2019 4:02 am
(@oldschool_iscool)

Quote from AJ1200 on May 13, 2019, 9:02 am
Quote from Big Tom on May 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Tom

replacing the tree can be a rather large job, but if you are a decent mechanic and do most of your own work it isn't terrible

there are videos and tutorials about replacing your head bearings, that is what I used to do mine. I didn't have the correct socket for the nut so I had to sort of guess at the torque when I put it back, but I am a 35+ year mechanic so I felt comfortable doing that.

Here is a tutorial on what it takes to replace the head bearings in a 1500.  Changing the tree is a matter of swapping the new tree for the old as part of this procedure.

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23661

Posted : May 13, 2019 7:55 am
(@big-tom)

Thanks, good to know for when the time comes..

Posted : May 13, 2019 8:24 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

so I got around to installing the fork extenders this weekend, I completely forgot to take pictures until it was a done deal

First impressions of the ride after installation, first thing I noticed was a reduction in wind buffeting at higher speeds

my bike has been bad with buffeting every since I added the car, it is a noticeable improvement now, second thing is it doesn't seem to pull as much to the right during acceleration as it did,  I will know more after more riding. also didn't seem to lean out as much when on the on ramp, it was like the car was better planted than normal, almost like I had some ballast in it. again more miles will tell if that was imagined or real

the ride itself doesn't seem to have changed and the steering is pretty much the same.

but this is all I noticed on the first ride coming to work this morning, only 30 miles so not a total shake down of the change

Posted : May 20, 2019 2:49 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

ok so now I have had a week of riding to get a better feel for the change in the forks. now I can honestly say it does ride much better, it handles the bumps a lot smoother and has less reaction in the handlebars. also there is a noticeable change in the nose diving when braking harder than normal

it's a lot less now. so I have to say it was a good move to add the extenders

Posted : May 29, 2019 10:02 am
Page 1 / 2