Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Give Granny a ride!

If my Grandma was still alive, I'd offer her a ride in my hack. As fiesty as she was at about age 93, when she passed away, I suspect she would have accepted it, too. I think it was great to see the relatives waving her on. I sure hope my kids offer me one, if they have sidecars when I get around that age.

That was great! Thanks for sharing.

I realized that if I didn't sieze the moment my Mother would never ride in my side hack. At 86 years she enjoyed the ride and I saw a young spark in her eyes when we returned. She rode in her twin Brother Freds side car in the 40's, he died at age 28 on their birthday. My Dad, at 92, also went for a cruise. He is a WW2 Veteran, a B-24 Navigator with 36 Combat missions under his belt. (Fred Fitzgerald, my uncle whom I never met, pictured at his favorite pastime in the 40's. I now ride for him and me.) Don't put off Now what you may not be able to do later. It is always later than we think.

Attached files

There was a thing in the local paper about a Ural driver that went to a Nursing Home and took anyone that wanted to go for a ride. Sweet. The illustrating photo was of an old girl giving the thumbs up, absolutely beaming, from the hack.

I have already mentioned to my son , when I get too old to drive he has to pick up the flag, and take me for my rides in the hack. He probably thinks I am kidding!

I've given the same instructions to my children and my grandchildren. Here's an old shot of my daughter and her oldest. He gets his DL in April and is already talking sidecar.

Originally written by scrinch on 11/18/2008 5:46 AM
There was a thing in the local paper about a Ural driver that went to a Nursing Home and took anyone that wanted to go for a ride. Sweet. The illustrating photo was of an old girl giving the thumbs up, absolutely beaming, from the hack.

That sounds like such a wonderful thing to do but the insurance, rider waivers and other things such as guardian's permissions just often make it difficult if not impossible . Either have way too much insurance or a waiver when giving rides to strangers. You may not need it but then again not having it when needed could seriously screw up your life. People in special care places (assisted living or residential care homes) are often fragile and regardless of how much you might desire to give them a bit of fun it could all blow up in your face so easily.

Whoa.......leave it to a veteran to put a damper on the theme of this thread, however, as i was reading his suggestions, they were absolutely right-on. The video was very cool though, has to warm your heart, the town appeared to be like many of those from childhood memories....where everyone knew one-another and this "event" was talked-about weeks before and years afterwards.

The Chrismas I got my new rig 4 years ago we had the yearly pig slaughtering party.
I have no idea how many children I gave a ride through the sand pitt. And there were some 5 Grandma's and Grandpa's in it too. With one I rode up a track where his father broke of an oxe's horn bringing down a cart load...

We have here so many grandpa's and Grandma's who ride themselves. Is it that a big deal?
And frankly I prefer to go to the other side with the boots on as my father in law did. I'd say its just a question of attitude.

The widow (to that time 84) of a good fishing friend went to Turkey alone with a back pack passing from one village to the other by public bus...

Just one about 80 year old neighbour I do not take for a ride any more. He shouts after the girls things that make me rush red... Others have a memory ride back into time in the chair. It would be a sin not to invite them because of insurance limits. There are too many lawyers, let people live and work in a sane way.

Best regards and enjoy
Sven

There are also some parts of the country that have enacted sane laws regarding this sort of thing. Here in Wisconsin, unless you are charging people money or it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt that your actions meant to cause harm, you can not be held more liable for an incidental injury than a normal car accident.
In addition, if you feel the need, there is very reasonable limited term liability insurance available. The last time I participated in a Brain Injury fund raiser ride in Minnesota, I bought a one day half million dollar policy for $8.

No different in Texas as to liability insurance and such. You can find all the reasons in the world to not do something, but having enough insurance to make this actually happen is no liability, in reality (pun intended). Easy enough to obtain insurance if you feel you need such, and that is related to giving rides to folks at a specific nursing home event. You still have to adhere to your state laws, so you do need to be informed of what they are as related to helmets and such.

Giving individual rides, as done in this original post, is no problem at all, unless you decide against such. It would be your loss to miss such an opportunity with a kid, parent, friend, uncle, aunt, grand parent or other. Many of us forget until the time is actaully past and the opportunity is gone. That is a shame.

I gave rides to older folk in my Model A for years. What I got in return was actual, factual accounts of how these folk actually drove or even grew up with these antique automobiles. Folks who were from AARP were expecially fun to let ride. Some of my best swap meet stories came from doing just that.

Here in Maine local people still leave their doors unlocked, and most don't worry much about getting sued. It never occurred to me that this might be a problem some places and I think it is a sad commentary.

My own mother is 93 and I'm sure she'd love a ride but she's wheelchair bound after a stroke paralyzed her left arm and her left leg (partially). I'm sure she'd love a short ride but without permissions from the assisted living home, insurance and waivers I can't do that.

Yes, it is, indeed, a sad commentary but it is what it is. I've given short rides to others, as have we all, but taking a friend out just isn't the same as offering a ride to the elderly.

All organized rides of any sort require insurance and ride waivers even if you're the only person going on the ride. It's a big responsibility so protecting yourself is first and foremost in this day and age. We live in a litigious society and what may be considered as unnecessary risk is quick to be penalized.

I think that reminding riders of the paperwork in most cases is redundant, especially here, because I believe that anyone putting an elderly person in their sidecar is not going to be stunting, speeding or driving carelessly but, accidents do happen.

My mom would need a seat belt installed just to go around the block and it's probably a good idea anyway but how many of us have them? I have one but it's not installed yet so having a passenger is a risk I have to be aware of. My friends know the risk but as the driver I get the responsibility if anything happens unless I have a signed waiver. It's a hassle but it remains a good idea even if it's not a necessity.

Here's my Mom (age 94) this summer ready to take off on her 1st sidecar ride. Closed course so no ATGATT.

Attached files

Common sense in who you choose to give a ride is always the pilot's decision, but most of the other stuff is sort of a "Debbie Downer" affair in many ways, I believe. Seatbelts are not a requirement in my state for any hack. The use of them would be solely up to a driver and pilot, but most hacks are not going to have them in them, and I doubt that an elderly person would present any more of a problem than a youthful one. I'd not encourage anyone to intentionally go out and pick the frailest of the frail in offering a ride in a hack, but that is where common sense comes in to play.

Having been involved in events for antique cars, a sanctioned event will require liability insurance above what is the norm, as the insurance covers much more than just the autos, as well. However, this thread was not really presented as doing sanctioned events or encouraging them in the first place.

To offer a ride or not is an indidual decision and requires individual thought as to what is being done. However, for most things as mentioned in this thread, I doubt there is any serious need for tons of liability insurance. It is not all that costly to increase a policy, if you feel the need. I certainly don't agree that seat belts have to be considered as an option in most cases. Again, it all boils down to the individual pilot making their own personal decision and making some common sense decisions as well. You ain't running a taxi service. Grandma or whomever can indeed ride, if you choose to go that route. Me, personally, I'd not hesitate to choose such a route and I sure hope my kids or grand kids feel the same way when I am considered an elder (which I believe I already am).

Here's our granny, age 84 on her first sidecar ride...she used to drive a BMW in Germany in 1940..it got left behind when they were forced out by the Russians...too bad.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w9kH32m5OqpMoly4S_50eA

From family

Good for you and even better for her. Nice.