Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Getting ready for paint-job

Hello,
I've disassembled my Velorex 562 for painting, but I have a question about removing the lower part of the sidecar from the upper part. It is currently held together by rivits. I was a little surprised. I thought they would be atteched by nuts and screws for easy removal. A couple of points did use tiny screws/tiny hex nuts for attachment, but the balance are rivits. Is this stock hardware? Is it okay to bring the whole piece as is to be painted, even though the lower portion will not be painted?
Thank you!
Dave

Mine is riveted as well. I've been debating the same thing. Want to paint the top Monza Blue to match the bike (being repainted at the same time). Thought about splitting the top, but may pull the trim strip and tape off instead.

The leather textured bottom shell resists rock chips very well and is seldom painted. If painted it won't have the glossy smooth finish of the upper fiberglass body. The upper body can be finished with conventional automotive paint products . If the lower shell is painted it should be finished with a flexible material like the molded plastic automobile panels and bumpers are. The colors and gloss may not come out perfectly matched.

I'd tape off the waist molding and paint the upper body and fender.

Lonnie

I curious about this. The upper/lower portions of my Velorex 562 are held together by rivits(approximately 25). I've brought the SC to a couple of places for quotes on painting it. The place I am likely to have it painted at strongly recommends the removal of the lower portion of the SC(this is not being painted). His rationale is that if not removed, the paint will will easily chip where the paint meets the rubber wrap-around waist moulding. This makes sense to me, but I have a some questions: 1) What is the best way to remove the rivits?, 2) how much of a hassle will it be to rivit the 2 pieces of SC back together...is this a simple task? 3) Can the "snaps" (? for the tonneau cover) be easily reinstalled after removal or will the snaps need to be replaced? These snaps are rivited in as well.
Thank you,
Dave

Don't you have to remove the rubber trim strip before accessing the rivets? The only way of removing the rivets I know of is to drill them out. You can get a hand riveter and re-rivet the top back on. Just be careful not to scratch the new paint when trying to refit the top. The buttons would probably need to be replaced as well if you remove them. I'm going to go with taping off the lower body, but I'm also painting myself.

Don't separate the body. On some of the earlier two piece bodies the waiist moulding is riveted separately from the body connecting rivets and it can be removed by drilling out the pop rivets that hold it, leaving the body intact.
Late model Velorex's don't have this option and rejoining the bodies can be quite problematical.

The tonneau snap rivets can also be easily drilled out and the snaps reused.

We've had many top bodies painted with being taped off with no problems.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars.