Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

George Moore Cartoon inquiry

Anybody heard of this? I recall a history of the sidecar but don't remember a reference to this cartoon.

Hello!

My name is Dan Marcellus, and I work for the television show "American Pickers" on The History Channel. The reason I am contacting you today is because on a future episode one of our subjects is a sidecar fanatic. In going into detail about the sidecar, it is mentioned that the concept of the sidecar originated from a cartoon by George Moore in a 1903 British newspaper "Motor Cycling".
My question is have you seen this cartoon, and/or know of someone I may contact in order to possibly use it for our show? I know it's a long shot, but I've scoured the internet for this cartoon, and have come up empty. I can be contacted at the information below, and any help you may be able to give me in finding this cartoon would be greatly appreciated.
If you are unable to help, I thank you for your consideration and hope this e-mail finds you well.

Here is the link to the show if interested: http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers
Sincerely,

Dan Marcellus

Cineflix / American Pickers

dmarcellus@cineflix.com

A sidecar is a one-wheeled device attached to the side of a motorcycle, scooter, or bicycle,[1] producing a three-wheeled vehicle.
The first mention of a sidecar is in a cartoon by George Moore in the January 7, 1903 issue of the British newspaper "Motor Cycling". Three weeks later a provisional patent was granted to Mr. W. J. Graham of Graham Brothers, Enfield, Middlesex. Early plans to have the sidecar removable have never been very successful. A motorcycle with a sidecar is sometimes called a combination, an outfit, a rig or a hack.

Hal Kendal to the rescue.
Copy of artwork depicting the concept of the sidecar as attached to a motorcycle, first published in the British motorcycle magazine Motorcycle in 1903 – artwork now in public domain. Republished as cover of the Sidecarist, July 1986.

I learn some thing new every day.