Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Gearing

Since I now have the 3-legged monster I find my gearing is too tall - so I'm going to change to a lower gearing -

My bike is 1987 FLH and gets used seldom in town. But I live in some pretty hilly country for riding. How far down should I go? 1-2 teeth on the engine sprocket and 1-2 on the countershaft?

Thanks
Steve

I've got an 07 Road Glide it has a 66 tooth rear sprooket ( stock) and last year I had a 33 tooth front sprooket put on( had 33 tooth drag speicled rear belt installed because I didn't have any adjustment with the stock belt and the 33 tooth front sprocket, now I have a lot). It pulles my Texas Ranger very good, but I could not use 6 th gear below 60 MPH when I pulled my Bunkhouse as well in the hill country here in Ark. because I had clutch slip a coupel of times. So I had a drag speciled heavy duty ciutch sping and a easy pull installed now I beleive I'm ready for this summer rideing.Rudy

Well what I'm going to to do is go to a 21 tooth on the engine. That's 3 teeth down from the stock 24 and put the best chain I can find with it. Any opinions of the Drag Specialties chain and gear setup they have for sale?

Steve

The belt drive big twins used to have either a 71 tooth (US) rear sprocket or the 66 tooth (International) sprocket. One was great for long touring the other for wheelies.

L.

I didn,t look at the year of your Harley(chain drive) I had my Ranger befor on a 2003 800 cc Triumph America. It has a 16 tooth primary spooket and high flow air & exhances system and it really pulles the sidecar like I like, with a 5 deg racked tree. But with the Harley you can find a Expert in any town to fix it and part for it or every place, the Triumph you might find 1 dealer in the state. I don't care what you ride it brakes and I don't like sitting for 3,4 days waiteing for a part to come by ups.Rudy