Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Fork Oil for 1970 BMW R60/5 with a sidecar

I will be attaching a Cozy Rocket sidecar to my 1970 R60/5 using a DMC subframe. Before I begin the install I plan on changing the fork oil. Any suggestions as to what viscosity will be the most appropriate with the sidecar? I know that most folks recommend a "heavier" oil for sidecar applications, and I'm just wondering what others are running in their airhead rigs.

I can't give you any advice, but when I installed modified triple trees on my Goldwing 1500, Sideffects recommended using Harley fork oil, I can't remember the weight they said to use, but do remember they said the sidecar rig required heavier fork oil. It worked well in the Wing.

I can't tell yu what to do either but if I want info like that I go to Snowbum's [Robert Fleischer's] site. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/front-fork-oils-amounts.htm it might not be exactly on point for your problem but it's a good place to start.

Fork oil comes in a variety of viscosities. When ever I start riding a bike new to me I buy a bottle each of 5, 10, and 15 weight oil. The used bikes I buy usually need multiple fork oil changes anyway, so I experiment. It takes a couple of tries, but I usually find what I like in three or four tries. You can also blend them to get viscosities in between bottled weights. They have all been two wheelers, but I find the 5 to 7.5 weight usually does the trick.

I haven't started to fine tune my Wing/California rig yet. I have had bigger problems to solve.
Best of luck.
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C