Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Fly and Ride

Hey all. I'll be flying up to Colorado next week to pick up a 2005 GW/Champion Daytona 2+2.

My longest day on a rig is about 150 miles so I'm looking for recommendations as to what to take along on this 800 mile trek.

Helmet, Jacket and Boots will go in the suitcase as it's too hot to wear them to the airport.

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Big Tom, congratulations on getting a great set up. That is  a well put together rig. 

Depending on which way you are going, heated gear if heading to higher elevations, vented gear if heading south. Rain gear no matter where you go.

Since moving to three wheels, I don't need heavy riding boots any more, only water proof ones.  The jacket and pants are more for climate needs not so much road rash. Both vented and waterproof gloves, balaclavas for wind and sun protection. Several sun glasses as the cheap ones scratch easily, but no big issue if lost.

A tank bag if it doesn't have one, for all the little items that make hours on the road easier. Hard candy, is easy to pop one in, eases the long ride too.  Chapstick, a road map if you time to explore side roads along the way. Avoid the interstate system where possible, there are scenic byways in all directions from Colorado. Definitely a camera for a ride report later. Before leaving Colorado, buy a case of bottled water to stay hydrated and dry snacks for rest area stops. Plan on stopping every 100 miles or so to stretch the  muscles.

Would suggest a duffle bag for flying, suitcases are hard to squeeze into a sidecar truck. 

Am jealous, have a fantastic ride, you will love the Wing rig. 

CCjon

Also a tire plug kit and air pump.  Looking fwd to stories and pics from the road.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Since I'm directionally challenged, I'd suggest a GPS.  I know a lot of folks say that all they need is a map but when you are truly lost the GPS will tell you where you are and once you've found a road you want and make a turn, it will tell you if you chose the wrong direction.  There are also VERY GOOD maps on your cell phone but if you are in a place where there's no cell coverage they obviously don't work.

When I'm on a longer ride, I find that ear plugs are a real help.  For some reason, I don't get as tired and I'm more comfortable if I cut down on loud road noise.  

Please be safe!  When you get tired, take a break or call it a day and find a place to overnight.

Enjoy the ride.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis

Adding to what Al says, Sysgic is a phone GPS app that does not require an internet or cell phone coverage.  It worked well in remote areas of the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming last fall.  Some of the add ons like speed camera or traffic reports do require cell connectivity and the state maps needed are downloaded in advance.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

Thanks Mike.  I'll check that out.

A

Still working on my list. I'll post it up when it's complete.

Bike has a 12 Volt socket so I'll be bringing my Garmin for directions. And a Batt Tender cord to plug in my Gerbings.

Thanks for the suggestions so far..

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Bring the license plate from my GW for the ride home or ride it without a plate?  I have it insured but not registered..

That all depends on your risk tolerance. Neither way is kosher, though have done both and never had a problem. Have also written on a piece of cardboard, TEMP TAG, wrapped it in plastic to make it rainproof.  Or wrote LOST TAG, No Problem either time. Any LEO's out there who can answer this better? 

I wouldn't put a tag from another vehicle onto any other vehicle.  Cops will sit and run tags because they are bored - if a tag comes up registered to a different vehicle, now they have an excuse to....let their imagination run wild.

As long as you've got a bill of sale and title, any stops because of no tag should be brief as long as you don't have anything interesting in your personal history database...

I agree don't use a tag that don't belong for it.  In some states you can go to MV get a temporary tag, but sometimes that can be a bigger pain.

Seller has agreed to leave his plate on it for the ride home..

Well it's home. 951 Miles by the odometer. No place to mount the Garmin yet so couldn't get the true Mileage. This rig is sweet  Fuel mileage stinks, just staying with traffic knocked 50 miles off a tank.

Needs a better seat and some place to put my right foot while riding. Foot board on there now has to go.

I have been riding since 1979 and for the first time ever I had a Semi come over as I was passing and push me off onto the rumble strips. Never stopped or slowed down. That was Sunday this is Thurs and I think my heart just slowed down. When I stopped for the night I found one headlight was out so I'll give him that the as the reason he missed me.  Professional? Hah.

Big Tom, glad to hear you and your new rig made it home okay.  Assuming you had a great ride doing so. 

For the right foot, on several rigs I added a railing between the lower front and rear sidecar mounts, using  2 by 2 aluminum angle, U bolts and a non-skid stair step tape. Being able to change the position of your feet is important on long rides. 

Aftermarket seats pop up on eBay frequently.

Post up photos when you get a chance.

Big Tom has reacted to this post.
Big Tom