Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Florids's turn

The below was copied from another site and it came from an owner of Motorcycle Training school so I know it is true. I am getting in on this late but will be making some phone calls on Monday and will update as I get more information.

The State of Florida is currently developing a new three wheeled
curriculum to address classes for licensing. The development process
is nearing completion, and they are looking for volunteers to help
them to test and develop it in the Jacksonville area. This is going
to be a two full day class, on machines provided by the state. There
is no charge to participate, and they would prefer students who are
total or near novices. The numbers to call for more information or
to enroll are:
Carl Bennett 904-403-8906
Glenn Picklesimer 904-759-9779
Helmets, 3-wheeled motorcycles, and eye protection are provided. You
would need to dress appropriately and participate and offer feedback.

Next July, Florida law is set to change. Everyone who registers a
motorcycle will have to have a motorcycle endorsement on their
driver's license. The way to get an endorsement is changing
dramatically. Everyone will be required to take a safety course to
earn their endorsement, which is why the State is in a hurry to adopt
a new training program for 3 wheelers. If you already have an
endorsement, you will not be affected.

Originally written by RichardMc4 on 9/9/2007 6:53 AM

The below was copied from another site and it came from an owner of Motorcycle Training school so I know it is true. I am getting in on this late but will be making some phone calls on Monday and will update as I get more information.

The State of Florida is currently developing a new three wheeled
curriculum to address classes for licensing. The development process
is nearing completion, and they are looking for volunteers to help
them to test and develop it in the Jacksonville area. This is going
to be a two full day class, on machines provided by the state. There
is no charge to participate, and they would prefer students who are
total or near novices. The numbers to call for more information or
to enroll are:
Carl Bennett 904-403-8906
Glenn Picklesimer 904-759-9779
Helmets, 3-wheeled motorcycles, and eye protection are provided. You
would need to dress appropriately and participate and offer feedback.

Next July, Florida law is set to change. Everyone who registers a
motorcycle will have to have a motorcycle endorsement on their
driver's license. The way to get an endorsement is changing
dramatically. Everyone will be required to take a safety course to
earn their endorsement, which is why the State is in a hurry to adopt
a new training program for 3 wheelers. If you already have an
endorsement, you will not be affected.

Is the liscensing process intended to be like Washington State? Seperate liscense for three wheelers even if you have a two wheel endorsement?
Who is making up the cirriculium? Where are the instructors coming from?
Will classes be avaiable when needed? How far will one have to travel to take a sidecar class?
This type of legilation can sound good on the surface to many but it can turn into a huge mess as we have seen. If money is envloved and is the main force driving it things will get interesting no doubt.

Oh we know it has to do with money. Lol. For years to reg a car in Fla you had to have a Fla license then they tax the car. The way M/C licenses are right now if you have a two wheel endorsement you are good for three wheels but if you take your test on three then you can only ride three. Boy I missed this one I will know more after some calls.

I searched the FL Laws. Here is what I found which will go into effect July 1, 2008.

1Note.--Section 43, ch. 2006-290, amended subsection (5), effective July 1, 2008, to read:

(5)(a) The department shall formulate a separate examination for applicants for licenses to operate motorcycles. Any applicant for a driver's license who wishes to operate a motorcycle, and who is otherwise qualified, must successfully complete such an examination, which is in addition to the examination administered under subsection (3). The examination must test the applicant's knowledge of the operation of a motorcycle and of any traffic laws specifically relating thereto and must include an actual demonstration of his or her ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable control in the operation of a motorcycle. Any applicant who fails to pass the initial knowledge examination will incur a $5 fee for each subsequent examination, to be deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. Any applicant who fails to pass the initial skills examination will incur a $10 fee for each subsequent examination, to be deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. In the formulation of the examination, the department shall consider the use of the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test and the Motorcycle in Traffic Test offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The department shall indicate on the license of any person who successfully completes the examination that the licensee is authorized to operate a motorcycle. If the applicant wishes to be licensed to operate a motorcycle only, he or she need not take the skill or road test required under subsection (3) for the operation of a motor vehicle, and the department shall indicate such a limitation on his or her license as a restriction. Every first-time applicant for licensure to operate a motorcycle must provide proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course, as provided for in s. 322.0255, before the applicant may be licensed to operate a motorcycle.

(b) The department may exempt any applicant from the examination provided in this subsection if the applicant presents a certificate showing successful completion of a course approved by the department, which course includes a similar examination of the knowledge and skill of the applicant in the operation of a motorcycle.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?Mode=Search%20Statutes&Submenu=2&Tab=statutes&CFID=28197323&CFTOKEN=33031803

search 322.0255

It appears that currently anyone who wants a new motorcycle endorsement that is under 21 has to take pass a class and that has changed to anyone who wants a new endorsement, two or three wheels.

If you set aside the licensing issue for a moment, the idea of requiring a person to have a motorcycle endorsement before they can register a motorcycle is potentially a good thing. The number of folks operating motorcycles without an endorsement is far too high. I've seen numbers that suggest that as many a 25% of the riders out there don't have a proper endorsement.

Frankly, I'd like to see dealers be required to ask for proof that the buyer has an endorsement before they let buyers ride a bike off the lot.

That's just my opinion, you'll hear others.

Originally written by Al Olme on 9/9/2007 2:03 PM

If you set aside the licensing issue for a moment, the idea of requiring a person to have a motorcycle endorsement before they can register a motorcycle is potentially a good thing. The number of folks operating motorcycles without an endorsement is far too high. I've seen numbers that suggest that as many a 25% of the riders out there don't have a proper endorsement.

Frankly, I'd like to see dealers be required to ask for proof that the buyer has an endorsement before they let buyers ride a bike off the lot.

That's just my opinion, you'll hear others.

Personally, I'd like to see a single Federal license that covers all States instead of this Mickey Mouse "Which state requires what" system now in place. Likewise, when I was a young man, Wisconsin required you to show license and current insurance to register a vehicle and you had to surrender your plates if you lost your license or let your insurance lapse.

I hear what you are saying Al and some what go along with you. But I know two people on sidecars with license that would not have made it if this law was on the books when we started. One you know is me and the other you may have met at the Nat Rally in Boone. He came over with the Hi preferment guts. At this time there is only one school in Fla with a rig and it is not set up for people with handicaps. As I have said I will know more on Monday.

Federal license is a great though but I do not see the states giving up that money.

They tried a federal license for truck drivers and called it a CDL. Biggest joke in thirty years. It is easier to get a duplicate license in another state now than before they had the CDL laws on the books. Yep, they pass laws to protect us from ourselves but these new laws hurt more people than they help. That is my two cents worth for today!

mrmustash aka Paul

I'm with you, Paul! We don't need the feds "helping" us when it comes to motorcycling! Just watch out for those Mexican trucks! That's just one more way that our glorious federal govt. is on our side.

Connie

OK an update but not much of one. I spoke with Carl Bennett who is in Jacksonville, FL. He is not with the state but the MSF and is working on a training program for three track M/C. that would be trikes. The reason for this is because HD is putting up the money and rigs for this project and they are building Trikes.

I have not spoke with anyone with the state but think I have a number that I will call today. I spoke with a man at our school here and was told that they will be using Evergreen instructors.

At this point the best thing I can say if you are in Florida get your M/C endorsement now.

Will let you know more as I learn more.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Louis Kyler of Florida Rider Training Program a Division of Drivers License. He is a nice man and was very helpful. I feel much better about our new law and what the state is trying to do. I was given a number of all the M/C accidents in Fla only 5% had training. The instructors will be Evergreen training and he is working with Evergreen to come to Fla to train the 57 schools we have. Mr. Kyler has said if I drop him an e-mail he will keep up to date.

So, training will be available everywhere in FL. That's great! Will a class taken on a trike also qualify for a license to drive a sidecar rig?

Joyce,

Training all over the state is the goal. Mr. Kyler is contacts the school to see what ones want to offer this training. The schools are not own by the state. He is also working on a short term permit so you could ride your own rig to the school. I may need to become an instructor myself. Lol. I do feel the state is trying to make this work and that is good.

Yes in Fla if you take a test on two wheels you can ride three wheels. If you take the test on a Trike or a sidecar rig there is an “s” added on restricting you to three wheels. They look at Trikes and sidecar rigs the same.

Richard,

The timing is great! You can come to the USCA rally in Duluth in June, get your instructor's ticket and be back in FL in time for the July 1 kick off.

That is a thought Al but with a little sweet talking I may be able to get one here in Fla. I know some of the owners of the schools. he he

AMA News and Notes
1/21/2008

Florida Senate bill 828, sponsored by Sen. Michael Bennett (R-Bradenton), would prohibit passengers younger than 12 years of age on a motorcycle or moped. Use the AMA Rapid Response Center at http://www.AMADirectlink.com to let your state senator know that parents and guardians, not the government, know best at what age their children should ride on a motorcycle.