Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

first ride

Took the sidecar for my first short ride today, makes my goldwing drive like a truck, didn't hit anything but came close when I forgot how wide the rig is now. It will take a while to get use to it but I think I am going to like it. Jim

welcome aboard!!
you will need LL forks, or at least a TT mod, then that 'Wing will drive like a truck with power steering :o)

you'll get good at judging width......had a few close calls lately though.....theres only two kinds of pedestrians....

Bob what is a ll fork or a tt mod? Jim

Originally written by Tinkertoy on 9/29/2007 1:47 PM

Took the sidecar for my first short ride today, makes my goldwing drive like a truck, didn't hit anything but came close when I forgot how wide the rig is now. It will take a while to get use to it but I think I am going to like it. Jim

What is it?

Originally written by Tinkertoy on 9/29/2007 3:47 PM

Tinkertoy,
Yes, welcome aboard!
LL Stands for Leading Link...It is a complete new front end. Google sidesrider.com and you will see information on them
TT stands for triple tree. Bob is referring toa triple tree modofication which is done by variosu vendoes.
When beginning with a sidecar rig steering wil seem very hard to some folks. Keep in mind that thsi is something new to you and you will be tense as well as be using muscles you are not used to using. Give yourself some seat time to get the hang of things and the steering may seem better to you later on. Some can tolerate the harder steering better than others. There are options, as Bob mentioned, to ease the steering effort if you opt to go that route. Some do and many don't.

Gregbenner
It is a 95 Goldwing with a CSC fredom lll side car. Jim

Welcome to the world of sidecars. I do not know if you have found you way over to the books but they were a lot of help to me. The link below will take you there.

http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

with these and a BIG parking lot you will get it down in no time.

I have a friendship 111 don't know where the fredom lll came from oh well the mind is the first thing to go.

Adding a little more air to the tires than you would use solo helps.
Wider bars will help even more. 30 inchers or more.

Hi Tinkertoy,

I would suggest that you give it awhile before you do anything to modify your GW. I have a completely unmodified '90 GW with a CSC Friendship II. I once thought of adding electric lean, and I think it might be nice in some situations, but now I wouldn't dream of going to that expense. Goldwings with sidecars are great without any help!

Connie

Originally written by herwing on 10/5/2007 2:19 AM

Hi Tinkertoy,

I would suggest that you give it awhile before you do anything to modify your GW. I have a completely unmodified '90 GW with a CSC Friendship II. I once thought of adding electric lean, and I think it might be nice in some situations, but now I wouldn't dream of going to that expense. Goldwings with sidecars are great without any help!

Connie

I think Connie is saying basically about the same thing I said earlier.
>> When beginning with a sidecar rig steering wil seem very hard to some folks. Keep in mind that thsi is something new to you and you will be tense as well as be using muscles you are not used to using. Give yourself some seat time to get the hang of things and the steering may seem better to you later on. Some can tolerate the harder steering better than others. There are options, as Bob mentioned, to ease the steering effort if you opt to go that route. Some do and many don't.<<
I have met Connie and she is a profiecient sidecarist who does ride a lot and not a girl with arms like Hulk Hogan. Agree ...give yourself some time to adapt and then go from there.

Get better every tine to go for a ride