Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

First ride with dog

I have three golden retrievers, so figured the odds of having a canine companion on my camping trips was fairly high. When I brought the hack home, however, all three stared at it suspiciously. It took two weeks of patient desensitization, but today was the day. My 4 year old gun dog, Tadcaster, already rides my ATV with me, so I figured he would be the first to try the hack. I got the harness on him, the doggles too, and managed to coax him into the hack sitting with my wife for security. We rolled the rig down the driveway, engine off, and he seemed, well...nervous. Not wanting to force him and sour the experience for him, I unclipped him and let him jump out.

While I was helping my wife out of the hack, my 3 year old runt of the pack, Barley, squeezed past her and sat on the padded dog bed facing forward. I figured what the heck. So I clipped him in and fired up the GS. Perfectly calm. A rub of the ears, slip into first, and off we go down our half mile of dirt road to the pavement below. I figured I'd reach the pavement and turn around, but Barley was so calm I kept riding. We reached the pavement and continued a mile downhill into the valley. Across a meadow and into the village, keeping the speed around 30, uttering reassurances and patting his head now and then.

Four miles to town, and a slow cruise down Main Street with tourists calling encouragement and little Barley soaking it up. We stopped at the dump for a dog biscuit, then at the Shell station for another. (Vermont is a very dog friendly state.) Then we headed for home, Barley looking totally relaxed.

So it looks like I have a new co-pilot! I was hoping it would be this dog, as Barley lost his aunt and playmate last month to cancer. He and Tuppence the Wonderbitch were close, and her loss hurt him deeply. He has strengthened his bond with me, and with the help of the sidecar he might find the excitement of traveling with Dad takes his mind off his playmate and gives him a more productive outlet than moping around.

So with luck, and a little patient training, I hope to bring him to the rally next month. See you there!

Pete

Hey, that's great, Pete. Did Barley take to the doggles? Maddie did until she learned how to push 'em to the top of her head.

By the way, Jena rode little Corkie on his first "solo" ride yesterday evening, to the local Sonic for a taste of their "real" ice cream. He did well except for barking at Maddie riding in the sidecar with me.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I just took my dog out for 600 miles. Dogs a little tired as am I as I need to have more toe in for hyw speeds. I test drove a Harley sidecar at Harley in Gillette WY. Found out the owners have been hacking it since the 70's and like to keep one on the show room. I loved it and will definitely buy one when there is money for it. As far as my dog, she took to it fast. She hates the rear end part of the buckle up pup harness but it is a very nice sidecar harness. She also hates the doogles but she keeps them on till we come to a stop when she shacks her head to twist them off her eyes. She was the start of the show with pink doogles. Lots of pictures. Saw 3 other sidecars this weekend too.

I have a 60lb. 1 1/2 year old Border Collie(Buddy) that hates motorcycles, he bites the front tire on my Greeves and barks like crazy when I try to take off.
One of these days his canines are gunna puncture the tire and he'll get his head run over.
He is more than willing to chase after me or beside me for a long time, maybe I should run him out in the desert for a while til he drops and throw his limp body in the chair.
He loves riding in the back of a truck or in a car with the window down, I just can't figure out the agression toward the hack.

Don in Nipomo... may have to get another dog!

Good luck to ya Pete. I hope Barley becomes as much your good riding buddy as Archie has mine. We just got home from the Moto Guzzi/Bigfoot Sidecar club rally in John Day Oregon. Sure am glad we hotelled it this time though because it was plenty warm. Rode down, rode daily and then took the long way home. Archie was by my side all the way. Best K-9 friend I've ever had and we've had some good dogs over the years but none like Archie...

Thanks, Tom. I hear you on the special ones. My wife and I rescue and rehab severely abused goldens. There's something special about the bond between a man and a dog who has learned to love again, or maybe for the first time. And what they taught me about dogs has helped my wife and I raise some truly phenomenal dogs over the years. Our core pack of three know they have our love and respect, and that in turn helps them change the lives of some pretty needy dogs.

Some people say dogs don't experience the grief of loss, but I have only to look at the impact Tuppence's passing had on Barley to tell me that's not true. So I truly hope that this shared interest will help him move on, and the adventures ahead will cement our relationship.

Pete and his pack: Tadcaster, Kazoo & Barley
And those who live on in my heart: Molson, Tetley, Oliver, Killian, Canny, Cosette, Tuppence the Wonderbitch, and Glenfiddich - Prince of Dogs

Well said Pete. I have a list of friends I'll see again one day at the Rainbow Bridge as well. And Archie was very aware of what was happening when his old friend Penny passed on. She knew lots of our other dogs but she was the only one that was still with us when he came into our lives and now there is just him and our two old cats. At the rally in John Day he met a bob cat a guy had. The guy said Bob likes some dogs and not others. Bob was on a leash so was Archie. We let them introduce themselves and Archie chose to ignore Bob. Seemed like the right move. Bob then started some funny antics to get Archie's attention and I think given a little more time, Archie would have been one that Bob decided was OK. But we were on the road and had to get moving again.

Hi Pete,

When I printed out the name tags for the rally I made sure that Tadcaster has one also I figure he could maybe wear his on his collar?

See you and Tadcaster in Vermont!

Chuck,

I'm embarrassed to admit that my big, beautiful redheaded gun dog, who is fearless in the woods and covers the throttle with a big paw if he feels I'm riding the ATV too slowly...appears to be terrified of the hack! My timid little runt of the pack seems to have claimed the sidecar as his personal turf.

So unless things change, it looks like Barley will be taking Tadcaster's place in my tent at the rally.

Being relatively local to the rally site, let me know if you need some setup help on Friday

Pete

Glenfiddich - 6/29/2010 8:30 PM Chuck, I'm embarrassed to admit that my big, beautiful redheaded gun dog, who is fearless in the woods and covers the throttle with a big paw if he feels I'm riding the ATV too slowly...appears to be terrified of the hack! My timid little runt of the pack seems to have claimed the sidecar as his personal turf. So unless things change, it looks like Barley will be taking Tadcaster's place in my tent at the rally. Being relatively local to the rally site, let me know if you need some setup help on Friday Pete

LOL Well Pete, look at it this way you will have a bit more room in the tent thanks for the offer There may be something, I'll be there residing at the CVE from Tuesday till sunday tell me what attractions are ther in Stowe, I can't recall but seems like there was a Norman Rockwell museum or something?

.........note to Chuck, change name tag to Barley