USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

First Canine Passenger

We recently had a "visiting" dog on our place after some stormy weather. He is a well mannered Blue Heeler with one of those shock collars and very friendly. He came another time during Christmas holidays when lots of fireworks were being used and appeared to afraid of the noise. Anyway, he was here while I was working around the place and when I got through, I pulled out the sidecar rig to take a ride. He wasn't afraid of it running, so I tapped on the seat with my hand a few times and he jumped in. I figured he would exit when I started rolling, but no.....he stayed put and we rolled on down the driveway, turned onto the road and took about a mile ride, turned around and came home. He is a great riding partner, standing in the sidecar floor looking around the windshield. He's been here several days and I've alerted all the usual folks for lost pets, but no takers, yet. He may or may not stay and ride some more. If so, I look forward to his company on the road.

That's an ideal situation. Great riding partner but others have to deal with the shedding, crap in the yard and vet bills. I'd have a dog under those circumstances. 🙂

You're right. I am allergic to the critters, but still love 'em. My eyes itch and it does something to my breathing too when I'm around them. My wife wanted a puppy a while back; we've been married 37 years and I told her no house dog, I'm still allergic to them. I could stand an outside dog as long as it doesn't mess up the yard or tear up something. This dog is older and laid back, just lays around like me, ha.

ok . in my farm we had about 2 dozen dogs fed during the last 28 years , including several that came into the gate and said" you are now my family." but deliberately jumping into the rig in the first few days out of their own iniciative is a new story to me. might be that old dog will move in soon completely.. just keep the tics and flees out.
sounds you are getting a new riding partner.
have fun.
Sven

Take the shock collar off and replace with note. He won't go back with it on, he thinks he'll get shocked. I'm not there, but I think he wants you to drive him home because he can't walk there without getting shocked. (My poor dog, we forgot to take it off once when we had him in the car... poor thing never wanted to ride again.)

Jeff_Online - 4/10/2018 8:12 PM

Take the shock collar off and replace with note. He won't go back with it on, he thinks he'll get shocked. I'm not there, but I think he wants you to drive him home because he can't walk there without getting shocked. (My poor dog, we forgot to take it off once when we had him in the car... poor thing never wanted to ride again.)

I agree with Jeff, if the shock collar is working he most likely won't go home
My guess is because he has the collar on he belongs to someone that cared enough top try to keep him contained

Sorry, a little history- I had a stupid dog, and a genius dog, at the same time, both with shock collars. The stupid one wouldn't know where the fence was until he heard the thing beep. If it wasn't on, he'd wander past. The smart one knew exactly where it was. Not only would he know when it wasn't on, he could go where he wanted, but he also knew if went really fast, it'd only hurt for a second. He hardly ever did that, not even for chasing squirrels, but if the kids were having fun without him on the other side.. he might. He loved the kids. Anyhow- he would never come back in. So while you pal is probably anxious to go home, as long as you're feeding him and he has a nice place to stay, he isn't too anxious. I left the dog outside the fence once just to see. He was sitting there at edge in the morning, still. I took his collar off and let him in, and he pretty much didn't do it again. Of course the ex and the kids didn't know about it, that would have been mean if they knew, but it worked pretty well. Maybe that's why your pal was only by your place once before, and now whatever it was, was so exciting he did it again. Shrug. Good luck, and no problems if you end up keeping him. I kept one we found in a parking lot, had tags and everything. People moved, apparently dog didn't, phone number changed, vet had no forwarding address. Great dog, too. 🙂 I just wanted you to know, what my theory is, and that I have experience with that particular topic. Have a great day!

Oh- and the collar does NOT need to be working. As long as the dog is wearing it, he might not want to go near the shock line.

My wife took the dog's collar off yesterday, said it was choking him, also took off second collar. I offered him a ride yesterday evening after finishing my gutter cleaning on the work shop, but he jumped back out twice. Guess he'd rather stay at "home." I messaged a lady on facebook that reported him showing up there some time earlier, she'd found the owner, so I asked for help there. Wife bought dog food and is happy with him. I noticed he's been sleeping in her flower bed....that might not go over too good. I'm waiting for a reply on the inquiry now.....

Well, good luck. Hard to adopt a dog when you're allergic. Perhaps if you set somewhere better up for him to sleep, he might use it. Someplace away from the sidecar... lol
I think you should name him Monkey. As in, sidecar Monkey. 🙂

2 cent, avoid trouble. give him back.
an old dog uses to have as many flaws as an grumpy old man.
And a neighbor searching for revange is worse then anything else.
Quite a few of our dogs had to feel it in their own flesh. some i could bury, others just disapeared.